She's got it where it counts.
By stonecutter2 on
2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)
I owned a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Automatic 4 cylinder for almost 10 years, bought new in Nov. 2001. This car was fun to drive, had great gas mileage, and really was pretty reliable. I will certainly miss my '02 Eclipse, but it was time for something more family friendly. First, the negatives, to get them out of the way (no issues for the first 5 years of ownership - all of this occurred after 5 years): The sunroof was jittery when opening, had to be assisted in popping up, the hatch wouldn't stay up by itself in cold weather, the dashboard cracked on it's own, center speaker blew/dry rotted at 7 years, O2 sensor needed replacing and so did the A/C compressor condensor.
Favorite Features
The seats were VERY comfortable on long drives. The drive in windy conditions was superb - very aerodynamic through very strong winds on the highway. The smooth ride was always something I enjoyed, good road feel. Styling before Eclipse's redesign was very sharp - always got compliments on how good the car looked. Had a very Italian sportscar feeling to it, in my opinion. Very reliable - no significant engine or transmission issues to speak of.
Suggested Improvements
The engine always had a little "purr" to it - that could almost be interpreted as a slight "rattle." This was normal throughout owning the car. I always thought that was a little odd. The dashboard cracking on it's own was weird - must need to improve the plastic formula, or something? Most issues I had with this car were very minor, and based on other reviews maybe I was lucky - all in all, a very fun car to own, comfortable to drive, and easy to look at!