Used 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

It's an Eclipse!
By David

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Good car and plenty around for parts, too. It is essentially a Dodge so repairs are not expensive. The V6 is zippy and solid. With regular maintenance, this car has never let me down.

Great First Car
By Zach

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty damn good true first car. This is the first car i bought on my own. My sisters boyfriend is actually the reason i got one. He owned a 2007 Eclipse manually v6. I wanted one right away after driving his for awhile. I liked the look of the 3g Eclipse though and i bought mine before going to college with around 110k miles. Wanted to impress the girls so to say with the car. Love the way the car looks and love that its manual. This is a great car to put aftermarket parts in and make that 4 banger run.

Pros:
Fun car to drive around in
Great handling can pull turns going 85mph with breeze
Very light car
Looks great
Fun car to put money into

Cons:
Interior is pretty cheap material
AC is shot don't work
Cruise control is shot doesn't work
Back seats uncomfortable

Overall not a bad car if you can find one with low miles as these models tend to have a lot of problems when getting up there in miles. Car will run way better if you invest money into the car and its performance.

Fun to drive, but very unreliable
By Ethan

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Interior plastics are garbage. My dash was so severely damaged from the sun, chunks of it were caving in. I have seen 30 year old cars in junk yards with dashes in better condition. Had to buy an expensive cover for it.

Transmission got very loud at about 5 years old so I had all bearings replaced and new clutch. Less than a year later the throw out bearing went and it was back for new bearings and another clutch within a year of it breaking.

CV joint snapped while driving it about 5 months ago and took me it the oil filter which caused a big oily mess in the middle of a very busy intersection where it broke down.
Clutch master cylinder broke and car had to be towed for that to be replaced.

Axle seals have been replaced 4 times with after market and factory seals and still leak, huge mess in driveway from axle fluid. I had never even heard of a car needing axle seals to be replaced before this.

Headlights were terrible from the day I got it so I drove around with high beams on all the time to see anything at all at night. Replaced those with aftermarket lights and they are much better.

Floor and rear wheel wells are rotting out along with bottom of rear quarter panel on passenger side. Roof had some rust/rot forming that was repaired.

At 4 years old the power steering pump died, $700 part alone. Valve cover gasket and strut mounts also had to be replaced at that time.

Sunroof motor has never been able to open sunroof on its own without me having to push it up to open it.

Key fobs fell apart and had to be replaced after only a few years.

2015 has had at least $4000 of repairs to this car with at least two dozen visits to mechanics in last 6 months. I have probably forgotten to include many other repairs it has needed. I have now had the car for a little over 10 years and it has been a problem from the start. Now, something new seems to break every time I drive it. Currently at mechanics since exhaust pipe is rattling around slamming against car frame causing a lot of noise whenever I go over a bump in the road.

Worst car I have ever owned!! Hate, hate, hate it!!!
By okcowner

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Mitsubishi has lost many sales as people have seen all of the problems that I have had with my car.
I have had the car for a little more than four years.
The transmission went out around 90K and was very expensive to fix.
The air conditioner compressor does not work.
The roof leaks and my radio will not work.
I had to replace the rims because they ALL cracked.
The life of the tires is always short even with regular alignments and balancing.
My gear shift broke and is made up of cheap plastic pieces.
The dashboard is cracked and rattles when I get above 50 mph.
About a year into owning the car, I discovered that when it is cold the car will not shift out of park.
Total junk!!!

When the car runs, it is fun to drive. The car looks nice when pieces of the car are not falling apart. I always get lots of comments on how nice it looks. The radio sounded nice (6 disc changer too) until it broke shorted out from the leaky roof. I am using my cell phone and Pandora as a radio now. The air worked well too until the compressor broke.

I ran out of room in my review. Mitsubishi needs to work on its transmissions so they are more reliable. Everyone that I know of that has a Spyder says that the roof leaks. There are multiple electric problems with this car. Also all six spark plugs should be accessible without removing the manifold. Every part on this car is expensive and as soon as I think the problems are fixed, something else breaks!!!! This was not a cheap car to buy and it has cost me in excess of 10K in car repairs. The engine light has constantly been on since I have owned the car (and yes O2 sensor has been replaced more than once along with other electrical issues).

pretty awesome!
By jay215

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

good and its really a Reliability car!