Used 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Worst car I have ever owned!! Hate, hate, hate it!!!
By okcowner

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Mitsubishi has lost many sales as people have seen all of the problems that I have had with my car. I have had the car for a little more than four years. The transmission went out around 90K and was very expensive to fix. The air conditioner compressor does not work. The roof leaks and my radio will not work. I had to replace the rims because they ALL cracked. The life of the tires is always short even with regular alignments and balancing. My gear shift broke and is made up of cheap plastic pieces. The dashboard is cracked and rattles when I get above 50 mph. About a year into owning the car, I discovered that when it is cold the car will not shift out of park. Total junk!!!

When the car runs, it is fun to drive. The car looks nice when pieces of the car are not falling apart. I always get lots of comments on how nice it looks. The radio sounded nice (6 disc changer too) until it broke shorted out from the leaky roof. I am using my cell phone and Pandora as a radio now. The air worked well too until the compressor broke.

I ran out of room in my review. Mitsubishi needs to work on its transmissions so they are more reliable. Everyone that I know of that has a Spyder says that the roof leaks. There are multiple electric problems with this car. Also all six spark plugs should be accessible without removing the manifold. Every part on this car is expensive and as soon as I think the problems are fixed, something else breaks!!!! This was not a cheap car to buy and it has cost me in excess of 10K in car repairs. The engine light has constantly been on since I have owned the car (and yes O2 sensor has been replaced more than once along with other electrical issues).

pretty awesome!
By jay215

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

good and its really a Reliability car!

My NorthStar Pony (keeping the car until I die)
By topzy

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I was a junior in high school in 2002 I got this car to impress a girl. I guess it worked since we ended getting engaged (2 years ago we broke up though) Anyways, this car is very reliable. Sure, after owning a car for 9 years it's bound to break down sometimes. Thankfully, my dear car has never left me stranded anywhere. What was wrong wit it? Usually after market things I had installed (like the alarm). She is pretty old and replacement parts have been needed. The things that hold the hatch stopped working, so I got them at a junk yard for like $5. The A/C juuuust broke down on me, lol, i used that thing all the time, even in the winter. Dash had to be replaced, thats all.

I just love the way the car looks. No car has this look! I was actually thinking about getting rid of her and maybe buying a newer car..but no. Even though I have invested thousands of dollars in body kit, paint job, rim and tires, lowering it, engine work (upgrading it), stereo system, seats, and such I will once again strip my car down, and re-paint it, put a new kit on it, new rims, new leather seats, new interior. By the time I'm finished with it.it will look even better than a new car. I swear, I will keep this car until the day I die. You know those old people that have those old school cars in their garage? That's gonna be me in like..50 years? It will look better than new cars!!!!

Improvements? Hmm, well I've never seen an Eclipse without a cracked dashboard. Maybe it's our fault by not putting one of those shade things on the window when we leave the car to protect it from the sun. Also..the headlights burn out quickly? Bad wiring, but easy fix. The radio that came with it, the cd player stopped working. That's all that has ever been wrong with my car. I mean I have had to replace the radiator 2 times, but it's not expensive and it's not "major" work. It's normal. People here that cry about how their car had to get some sort of work done on it don't understand that things in car wear and tear.

She's got it where it counts.
By stonecutter2

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Automatic 4 cylinder for almost 10 years, bought new in Nov. 2001. This car was fun to drive, had great gas mileage, and really was pretty reliable. I will certainly miss my '02 Eclipse, but it was time for something more family friendly. First, the negatives, to get them out of the way (no issues for the first 5 years of ownership - all of this occurred after 5 years): The sunroof was jittery when opening, had to be assisted in popping up, the hatch wouldn't stay up by itself in cold weather, the dashboard cracked on it's own, center speaker blew/dry rotted at 7 years, O2 sensor needed replacing and so did the A/C compressor condensor.

The seats were VERY comfortable on long drives. The drive in windy conditions was superb - very aerodynamic through very strong winds on the highway. The smooth ride was always something I enjoyed, good road feel. Styling before Eclipse's redesign was very sharp - always got compliments on how good the car looked. Had a very Italian sportscar feeling to it, in my opinion. Very reliable - no significant engine or transmission issues to speak of.

The engine always had a little "purr" to it - that could almost be interpreted as a slight "rattle." This was normal throughout owning the car. I always thought that was a little odd. The dashboard cracking on it's own was weird - must need to improve the plastic formula, or something? Most issues I had with this car were very minor, and based on other reviews maybe I was lucky - all in all, a very fun car to own, comfortable to drive, and easy to look at!

I hate this car!
By Andrea

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle three years ago. I have one year left before it is is paid off. I have spent at least $10,000 in repairs. I have had to replace the following: clutch, transmission, busted head gasket, radiator, thermostat, clutch cable,stereo and speakers (not a system, just a standard radio),idle control valve, paint due to crappy factory clear coat and rims. The following remain broken on the vehicle: The clock and display system are busted the dashboard is cracked all over the place, the a/c does not work (it's gone out twice), the trunk opener is broken, the sunroof is broken and the cover is as well. The trunk won't stay open and the passenger seat adjuster is broken.

I HATE This car!

The car has been a disaster and I am now in the process of trading this WORST car I have EVER owned in my life! I will never EVER buy a Mitsubishi again.