Used 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

pretty awesome!
By jay215

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

good and its really a Reliability car!

I hate this car!
By Andrea

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle three years ago. I have one year left before it is is paid off. I have spent at least $10,000 in repairs. I have had to replace the following: clutch, transmission, busted head gasket, radiator, thermostat, clutch cable,stereo and speakers (not a system, just a standard radio),idle control valve, paint due to crappy factory clear coat and rims. The following remain broken on the vehicle: The clock and display system are busted the dashboard is cracked all over the place, the a/c does not work (it's gone out twice), the trunk opener is broken, the sunroof is broken and the cover is as well. The trunk won't stay open and the passenger seat adjuster is broken.

Favorite Features

I HATE This car!

Suggested Improvements

The car has been a disaster and I am now in the process of trading this WORST car I have EVER owned in my life! I will never EVER buy a Mitsubishi again.

2002 eclipse gs 5spd
By shelbyli

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i bought the car as my first true car out of high school. wanted it for a commuter car to college and was perfect for it. every time my friend get in the car they are amazed to how comfortable it rides i even had one offer to buy my seats for his car. the stereo is great for stock better than most after market. the 5 speed is sporty and shifts the best out of all the manuals i have driven. although a little low in hp the car is still fun to drive and can still smoke a civic. the gas mileage is decent as long as you don't keep the throttle to the floor. i have had no major problems from this car and it still shines like its brand new, makes friends jealous. 96000 and still strong.

Favorite Features

the stereo and sunroof feels like a convertible without giving away the strength of a coupe.

Suggested Improvements

more powerful 4 cyl keep true to the eclipse style with a turbo 4 cyl

Not so good
By KellyDee

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Not the best car ever. I only get about 23 mpg doing regular driving of city and highway combined. Stock 10 point rims were bent and found out everyone was having problems with these rims, causing accidents. I replaced them immediately. Paint is peeling from a cheap clear coat. Second gear doesn't always catch. A lot of people have these problems, not just me. Trunk pulls broke. The only good thing is it's fun to drive, and looks good. Handles turns pretty well. And does not suck up much oil at all.

Favorite Features

Driving, and a good sounding stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Airbag deployment, junky rims, clear coat, Mitsubishi needs to stop being so cheap.

Great car
By christopher

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Bought this car new, had it about 7 1/2 years; car has never had any major repairs, just regular maint. I have never even had a tune up and it has over 150,000 miles. Gets average 25 miles to a gallon; on highway only about 27. It's been a great car.

Favorite Features

drives really well, good power for a 4 cylinder, nice sound system

Suggested Improvements

Better paint - mine is peeling, and more durable dashboard - mine cracked bad.