2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
Worst car I have ever owned!! Hate, hate, hate it!!!
By okcowner on 04/24/13 12:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Mitsubishi has lost many sales as people have seen all of the problems that I have had with my car. I have had the car for a little more than four years. The transmission went out around 90K and was very expensive to fix. The air conditioner compressor does not work. The roof leaks and my radio will not work. I had to replace the rims because they ALL cracked. The life of the tires is always short even with regular alignments and balancing. My gear shift broke and is made up of cheap plastic pieces. The dashboard is cracked and rattles when I get above 50 mph. About a year into owning the car, I discovered that when it is cold the car will not shift out of park. Total junk!!!

pretty awesome!
By jay215 on 07/05/12 18:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

good and its really a Reliability car!

My NorthStar Pony (keeping the car until I die)
By topzy on 05/24/11 02:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I was a junior in high school in 2002 I got this car to impress a girl. I guess it worked since we ended getting engaged (2 years ago we broke up though) Anyways, this car is very reliable. Sure, after owning a car for 9 years it's bound to break down sometimes. Thankfully, my dear car has never left me stranded anywhere. What was wrong wit it? Usually after market things I had installed (like the alarm). She is pretty old and replacement parts have been needed. The things that hold the hatch stopped working, so I got them at a junk yard for like $5. The A/C juuuust broke down on me, lol, i used that thing all the time, even in the winter. Dash had to be replaced, thats all.

She's got it where it counts.
By stonecutter2 on 02/11/11 07:22 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Automatic 4 cylinder for almost 10 years, bought new in Nov. 2001. This car was fun to drive, had great gas mileage, and really was pretty reliable. I will certainly miss my '02 Eclipse, but it was time for something more family friendly. First, the negatives, to get them out of the way (no issues for the first 5 years of ownership - all of this occurred after 5 years): The sunroof was jittery when opening, had to be assisted in popping up, the hatch wouldn't stay up by itself in cold weather, the dashboard cracked on it's own, center speaker blew/dry rotted at 7 years, O2 sensor needed replacing and so did the A/C compressor condensor.

I hate this car!
By Andrea on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle three years ago. I have one year left before it is is paid off. I have spent at least $10,000 in repairs. I have had to replace the following: clutch, transmission, busted head gasket, radiator, thermostat, clutch cable,stereo and speakers (not a system, just a standard radio),idle control valve, paint due to crappy factory clear coat and rims. The following remain broken on the vehicle: The clock and display system are busted the dashboard is cracked all over the place, the a/c does not work (it's gone out twice), the trunk opener is broken, the sunroof is broken and the cover is as well. The trunk won't stay open and the passenger seat adjuster is broken.

2002 eclipse gs 5spd
By shelbyli on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i bought the car as my first true car out of high school. wanted it for a commuter car to college and was perfect for it. every time my friend get in the car they are amazed to how comfortable it rides i even had one offer to buy my seats for his car. the stereo is great for stock better than most after market. the 5 speed is sporty and shifts the best out of all the manuals i have driven. although a little low in hp the car is still fun to drive and can still smoke a civic. the gas mileage is decent as long as you don't keep the throttle to the floor. i have had no major problems from this car and it still shines like its brand new, makes friends jealous. 96000 and still strong.

I love my Eclipse
By dking on 08/10/10 13:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 Eclipse RS for nearly 9 years. For the first 8 this car was perfect. Only scheduled maintenance, not a thing went wrong. In the last 10 months things have started to go. Oil pan rot. Never heard of it and could be due to living in New England. That was expensive. Air conditioner compressor, again expensive. Front struts, VERY expensive! Slave cylinder for the clutch, low cost to repair but was a major inconvenience. Rear gate lifters went the first winter in Maine. car was 5 years old at that time. I just use a stick to hold up the gate. The car has 88,000 on it and just had it's first brake job. Not bad. It's up for sale. Just bought a new Altima but will miss my Eclipse.

A fun car with minor problems
By MitsuBenji913 on 07/31/10 21:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I haven't had my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT very long, but I already love it. The car itself looks great, I've had random people on the street comment on it and often see people watching my car drive away. The inside looks good too, with the leather and design, but the controls could look a little better. Appearance isn't everything but they know that. This car had a lot of power and is a lot of fun to drive. Most other cars are left in the dust, although this does hurt the fuel economy a bit. It's painfully apparent that Mitsubishi does make these cars cheaply, though. The previous owner had to replace the clutch and I've read about major problems this car has. I still recommend it.

Not a good car at all
By appared1992 on 07/07/10 23:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for over a year and I have experienced problem after problem with it. 1. The shocks went out. 2. The transmission went out. 3. The car wouldn't shift correctly. 4. The air conditioner went out. 5. The "Service Engine" light is constantly on. 6. The rim to the wheel cracked. 7. The headlights barely light up anything, even in the darkest part of the night. 8. It always leaks when it rains. I have spent over $12,000 fixing this car, and I'm about to spend another $1,000 to fix the air conditioner. I only recommend this car for people who like to spend money on their cars.

Love love love this car
By Swaygirl27 on 12/01/09 19:31 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Buy this car, you will not be disappointed! I owned mine for 5 years and sadly I was in an accident last night and it is totaled. I am so upset - I absolutely love this car. The turning radius is incredible, it's so fun to drive, the sound system is great, the seats are comfy, the exterior is sleek, I could go on forever. Most importantly though - I've had absolutely NO major problems with this car ever in 5 years. The radiator cracked about a year ago but I patched it and it was fine. It had 133,000 miles on it and still ran like a newbie. In my accident - the airbags deployed and saved my face. The damage is impressive - I expected so much worse. This car is built GREAT. RIP my dear.