2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Review: Fun, affordable, and good look

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Review

RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Fun, affordable, and good looking
By bradk on

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Eclipse (2001 Black GT) about a year and a half ago. I try to keep it out of the sun, however the roof is still beginning to fade and crack a little bit. Great fun to drive, could use a little more power but that would sacrifice the decent MPG. Easy to drive. Rear spoiler in the way occasionally, but not too bad. Corner support beam could be a little smaller for better visibility, Great look, great sound. Performance alright for the price range, I would call it a very sporty car, not a sports car. Never had any major mechanical issues, it used idle a little quick but just a minor adjustment. My trunk 'lid' (part separating trunk from cabin) broke, no big deal. Not a bad buy.

Favorite Features

Dash and exterior design attractive, sporty but not ridiculously priced, sportronic transmission good fun. Quick enough even with the automatic. EASY to drive. FUN to drive. Has a good little purr to it, chick magnet with a little bit of modification.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger back seats! Different kind of paint? (I see a LOT of faded black eclipses) slightly more power? Tends to be a little hard to control once you break the back end loose. (more weight in the back?) Less plastic on the inside.