Used 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Trash the Aston Martin, James Bond!
By The Fox

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace an aging, 10 year old Ford Probe. My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT has turned out to be a true driver's car and equal to the Ford / Mazda. I've had it for 5+ years and am still learning more about how to unlock the secrets of handling and all out performance.There are fewer places now where you can open her up but, when I do, it performs like a true GT car. I'm 58 and started out driving MG's, this car is vastly superior to what those oxcarts could ever have been had they evolved to the present and embodies what a true GT car should be. I'm still enjoying it, in fact I just bought new mags for it. James Bond wasted her Majesty's money on the Aston, he should have gone with the Eclipse.

Favorite Features

The power to weight ratio. How it is comfortable and solid at 100+ mph. The great build quality and value.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of that stupid spoiler, indentations along the sides remind me of the old Ford Tri-motor airplane, it needs dual exhaust like the Tiburon.

HOT ROD TO GO!
By beatles4ever

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second red Eclipse. I originally purchased one in 1996,and had no problems. My 2001 GT is even better looking than my first! I am in my 50's, but feel like a teenager all over again in this sporty car. The car still turns people's heads, and everyone assumes it's a high dollar auto! Four years later, and everyone still asks, "Is your car new???"

Favorite Features

Take off is fast! Love the V-ROOM sound of the motor when accelerating! Love the second looks this car still gets as I cruise down the street! Like the big LCD display of the clock for my weakening eyes! Love the cockpit look and feel of the sleek, lit dashboard.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic, flimsy bumpers damage ever so easily. Rear spoiler blocks view. Red paint job scratches too easily. Sunroof sticks. Passenger seat needs to be able to raise just like the driver's side. Brakes have squealed since day one. Very difficult to get in and out of cramped back seat.

Best car ever (under 30k)
By Subotai

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car like no other. It is fast, comfortable, fast, looks awesome and is really fast. I love this car and always will.

Favorite Features

The vroom vroom. There is a ton of high end torque in this car which means that there is a bunch of power to call upon at any time if you need/want it. Nice.

Suggested Improvements

What could every car use? A little more horsepower!

Days Geaux By
By Frank1963

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car to drive, no hassles, no problems thus far.

Favorite Features

The techtronix shifting is great when you need that extra "umph" passing or getting up an on ramp.

Suggested Improvements

I'd say any improvements that I could think of can be found in the slightly more expensive GT models.

Owesome interior
By Osman Aviles

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

2 and 1/2 years ago I was amazed with the looks of the car outside but it was even better when I saw the interior of the car, it is and unusual dash it is not square looking it was a little round it felt like a spaceship, the only concern about it is after a while you feel that the car has lost its power and you have to constantly do tune ups, specially alignments.

Favorite Features

Interior design, handling

Suggested Improvements

quiter ride