2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
Great
By michaelpaeltz07 on 01/08/08 09:28 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, amazing. This car is a sure fit for anyone. The car is nice, but not that spacious. But it makes up for it in performance.

Good style and reliable
By J on 01/02/08 21:58 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have had the car for going on 7 yrs and still love it. No real issues with the car (only the timing belts which were expensive). Brakes lasted 60K, still original clutch, leather still looks great (garage kept). Still performs great. I have been very happy with this car. I have read some of the other reviews and have had none of the issues mentioned in the negative reviews. Only criticisms I can agree with is the small turn radius (though not as big deal as some make it) and the hatch channels water into the edges of the trunk space when it is raining (only if you open the hatch all the way though). I have had every Eclipse except the newest body style and have been the happiest with this one.

An underestimated beauty
By gt_turbo on 11/07/07 05:01 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car when I graduated high school, and have loved every minute of it! The aggressive stance and throaty exhaust note were two of the first things that attracted me to it. That, and all the looks I got from people when I would pull up to a store. Now while I have added to it (custom cold air intake, short throw shift kit, lowering kit, custom cat- back exhaust, and after market wheels and tires) the car has needed little work to make it a blast to drive.

Fun Car
By Gerardo Ceballos on 08/22/07 21:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great car in my opinion, very fun to drive, mine is manual and the gears and the shifts are very sporty, the clutch is soft. It has a quick response when you switch to a lower gear, it has reasonably good acceleration for a 4 cylinder. I have had no trouble with the engine nor transmission. The interior is comfortable for the driver and one passenger if you are not big or tall. No room for the back seats, maybe for a child. The ride is very comfortable, the suspension is not that hard. It has good grip around corners. It is a bit noisy on the highway. In general a great car, I would buy again.

Great car, but do your homework.
By Slowrider on 08/04/07 11:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is not a car for beginners and shorter folks. The gas mileage is decent usually 20-25 mpg, if you want v6 power you get v6 mileage. Make sure you understand repair cost if you decide to purchase this car for the long run. For instance timing belt is usually $300-500 depending on where you get it done and the MAF sensor is between $110-625 depending on where you go. It does take time to get used to seeing properly. If you are a good driver it'll take about a week. The car does understeer and takes some time to get use to but it can take bumps and bad roads fairly well.

Hot Cha Cha
By Howie Gustafson on 02/22/07 18:58 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great and fun car to drive. I set up a high performance air filter and love the sound. It really can push you back in the seat.

Amazing Car That Has So Much To Offer!
By Chuck on 01/28/07 16:39 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for over two years now and it's given me nothing but fun, reliable, stylish transportation! I get around 25 mpg and the car has given me zero reliability problems. It receives many compliments and the driving experience is so sweet, that when you arrive to your destination you hate to park the car! It's just that fun to drive!

It's OK!
By Fra on 12/05/06 12:57 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got my '01 Eclipse because my previous car broke down and I needed a car quickly. I love the body shape, but I am really disappointed with the engine. This car is all appearance and no substance.

Excellent Car to Last a Long Time
By mitsubishi eclipse on 11/29/06 05:54 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had zero problems with my '01 Eclipse, with exception of parts wearing out. It handles well and has great acceleration even after 100,000 miles. I am very pleased with the car. It was great as a first car and i will definitely keep it until it dies.

Fast and Fun, but FULL of Problems
By Leepoffaith on 03/02/06 07:19 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT is good looking and very fun to drive, BUT it is plagued with problems. I've replaced the oil sensor ($125), had the brakes re-surfaced 4 times (stock rotors are horrible), motor mounts, had to have the heat shield removed because it was making noises, there are rattles all over the car, I have 2 bent rims (each would be $400 from the dealer), the stock tires are junk, the clutch rattles when disengaged in netrual, and the transmission likes to grind for no reason! Not to mention the bearing rattle that everyone has. Do your research! There are many websites out there that will tell you all the problems these cars have. Listen to what they say and then make your own decision