Used 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Fun, affordable, and good looking
By bradk

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Eclipse (2001 Black GT) about a year and a half ago. I try to keep it out of the sun, however the roof is still beginning to fade and crack a little bit. Great fun to drive, could use a little more power but that would sacrifice the decent MPG. Easy to drive. Rear spoiler in the way occasionally, but not too bad. Corner support beam could be a little smaller for better visibility, Great look, great sound. Performance alright for the price range, I would call it a very sporty car, not a sports car. Never had any major mechanical issues, it used idle a little quick but just a minor adjustment. My trunk 'lid' (part separating trunk from cabin) broke, no big deal. Not a bad buy.

Favorite Features

Dash and exterior design attractive, sporty but not ridiculously priced, sportronic transmission good fun. Quick enough even with the automatic. EASY to drive. FUN to drive. Has a good little purr to it, chick magnet with a little bit of modification.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger back seats! Different kind of paint? (I see a LOT of faded black eclipses) slightly more power? Tends to be a little hard to control once you break the back end loose. (more weight in the back?) Less plastic on the inside.

Eclipse 2001 GS/ reliable
By Steven Black

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 34 miles on it in 2006. Know it has 88 miles. She still runs like a baby. Gas is decent. Nice quick take-off. Never had one problem yet with the engine, only with the lights but it was a quick fix. Great car to have. Still looks new plus I take great care of the car. Nice sport car to drive around in. Great stock speakers!

Favorite Features

Sun roof, decent gas mpg, reliable, great surround sound, huge trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Back seats need more leg room and a little improvement in gas mpg.

An ok car...
By KC

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had quite a few problems with this car (most early on), mainly due to cheap parts. The headlights actually burned up the electrical wiring & had to be replaced & they're still terrible. The oil pump (bad part) caused severe engine damage. After a month of work, I had to get a new engine. The interior is the cheapest. It gets scratched up easily & snap on parts have all come off (& won't go back on). The hooks on the trunk for the back cover broke off. My windsheild wiper fluid doesnt work bc the clip that holds the tubing broke off from heat. Transmission is ab to go out w 112,000 miles. Sun roof went out long time ago. Been hit a bunch & the exterior is like a tank (except 4 low front end).

Favorite Features

Good exterior, good sound system, decent gas mileage. Great acceleration & so much fun to drive. Handles very well on the road & easy to park.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality parts would make this car a top sports car.

Fun to drive if you like slow cars
By Andy

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Ever get behind the wheel of a 99 GTP? No? Okay then you don't know where I'm coming from. This car is fun to drive yet unresponsive if you didn't break it in right. Great car, I'd recommend it to anyone. Reliability is top notch!

Favorite Features

Aftermarket mods available in any version of the car, quick 60-100 comfortable for smaller people, great chick magnet

Suggested Improvements

Umm more low end torque, more passenger seat room.

Best car in the world... on a dry road
By thehouseattheend

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely loved my eclipse. I bought it brand new in June 2001. I have over 217,000 miles on it. Last summer I had to replace half an axle. The radio stopped coming in and the a/c stopped working at about 90,000. But nothing else major and I am rough on my vehicles. I hear if you put weight in the back it handles better in the snow. I recently crashed it. I am having a hard time finding another vehicle. I might just buy another eclipse. It is very comfortable to drive. I am 5'11" and not a stick girl either. Be careful with the black paint. It discolors and peels off and the dealers won't deal with it.

Favorite Features

Cockpit design, fast takeoff, great handling, decent mpg

Suggested Improvements

Paint discoloration, not a winter vehicle