2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
Fun, affordable, and good looking
By bradk on 10/19/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Eclipse (2001 Black GT) about a year and a half ago. I try to keep it out of the sun, however the roof is still beginning to fade and crack a little bit. Great fun to drive, could use a little more power but that would sacrifice the decent MPG. Easy to drive. Rear spoiler in the way occasionally, but not too bad. Corner support beam could be a little smaller for better visibility, Great look, great sound. Performance alright for the price range, I would call it a very sporty car, not a sports car. Never had any major mechanical issues, it used idle a little quick but just a minor adjustment. My trunk 'lid' (part separating trunk from cabin) broke, no big deal. Not a bad buy.

Eclipse 2001 GS/ reliable
By Steven Black on 05/02/09 13:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 34 miles on it in 2006. Know it has 88 miles. She still runs like a baby. Gas is decent. Nice quick take-off. Never had one problem yet with the engine, only with the lights but it was a quick fix. Great car to have. Still looks new plus I take great care of the car. Nice sport car to drive around in. Great stock speakers!

An ok car...
By KC on 03/13/09 10:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had quite a few problems with this car (most early on), mainly due to cheap parts. The headlights actually burned up the electrical wiring & had to be replaced & they're still terrible. The oil pump (bad part) caused severe engine damage. After a month of work, I had to get a new engine. The interior is the cheapest. It gets scratched up easily & snap on parts have all come off (& won't go back on). The hooks on the trunk for the back cover broke off. My windsheild wiper fluid doesnt work bc the clip that holds the tubing broke off from heat. Transmission is ab to go out w 112,000 miles. Sun roof went out long time ago. Been hit a bunch & the exterior is like a tank (except 4 low front end).

Fun to drive if you like slow cars
By Andy on 02/25/09 13:06 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Ever get behind the wheel of a 99 GTP? No? Okay then you don't know where I'm coming from. This car is fun to drive yet unresponsive if you didn't break it in right. Great car, I'd recommend it to anyone. Reliability is top notch!

Best car in the world... on a dry road
By thehouseattheend on 01/20/09 16:03 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely loved my eclipse. I bought it brand new in June 2001. I have over 217,000 miles on it. Last summer I had to replace half an axle. The radio stopped coming in and the a/c stopped working at about 90,000. But nothing else major and I am rough on my vehicles. I hear if you put weight in the back it handles better in the snow. I recently crashed it. I am having a hard time finding another vehicle. I might just buy another eclipse. It is very comfortable to drive. I am 5'11" and not a stick girl either. Be careful with the black paint. It discolors and peels off and the dealers won't deal with it.

Fun, But Needs A Little More
By Cat on 08/11/08 08:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my girl, but she just doesn't have as much "Giddy-Up And GO" (until about 45 mph)as I would prefer. I read some other reviews that said the rear spoiler and small back window make it impossible to back up. WRONG! The window is HUGE, and I've never had a problem backing out in almost 2 years. She HUGS curves, and it's easy to make the tires squeal if you pull the wheel a little to one way (XD), even in the automatic. Sportronic is a MUST! SO FUN! Gas mileage is decent. The car just like great stock, and really shines with a few simple tweaks (darker tinting makes a bigger difference than you think!!!)

Fun, powerful car!
By Jimmy973 on 07/23/08 21:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car about a month ago and all I can say is wow. This car has performance, style, and a price that had it sitting in my driveway. Acceleration is great from the V6 paired with the 5 speed! I find myself punching the gas for no reason other than good clean fun.

2001 Eclipse GT
By Jason on 05/16/08 01:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car when I joined the Air Force and it has been very reliable. I have driving across country three times and have never had a problem. The only down fall is that the car takes premium fuel only and it costs me 50 dollars to fill up. Was very easy to find performance parts for, and the car handles them very well.

Almost 7 years and going strong
By Rick on 04/30/08 15:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car as a dealer demo in late 01 with about 5,000 miles on it. We have really enjoyed every year we owned it. I'm over 6 feet tall and fit comfortably. We now have about 85,000 and have no plans on getting rid of it. We have not had any major problems- just regular maintenance. The work done so far is: at 80,000, we replaced the motor mounts and now it runs as smooth as it did when new. At about 70,000, we replaced the radiator and some hoses. We had to replace the brake pads a few times but that pretty much was it. The A/C in the AZ 120 summers. The auto trans is great. Even in the AZ heat, the convertible top is still in great shape. The new Eagle tires are great.

Unreliable Transmission
By Santha Perian on 02/29/08 22:35 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new on 2001 valentine's day. Drove 80K and sold it in 2007. Positive: fun to drive, stylish, V6 is really powerful. Negative: after 10K miles the heat won't work immediately (take 30 mins. This is bad during winter, especially living in NY), transmission problem after 75K (Costs $1200-$3500 depending upon the type of mechanic and new/old part used), there are minor electrical problems, mainly the headlight won't work every 6 months. The power steering takes larger curve. I could never make a smooth U turn in the last 7 years - it was always broken U turn.