2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
Eclipse GT 5 sp mt
By rx8rotary04 on 04/04/14 23:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

this was my first 5 sp mt car. it was a blast to drive for a first semi sports car. the handling was fantastic as well as the power (for what it is). a buddy of mine has the same car with not many major issues but i on the other hand got the lemon of all eclipses. bad belt bad motor mount bad tranny mount bad ebrake cable and many other things. before i sold it something would clunk and make the whole car feel as if it was about to fall into pieces but no one could figure out what it was so i had to sell the car and take a huge loss.

Fun while it lasted, sort of
By dudeitstopher on 04/19/13 14:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All sorts of electrical issues, coil packs blown, ECM, replaced water pump + timing belt + tensioner + radiator + thermostat to have a persistent overheating issue. The car itself was reliable for periods of time but when it would break, it was always expensive. Found a very low-price garage and had all of the work done there, reputable mechanic in my community but the car kept breaking down. I'm going to part ways with it since the computer died and continues to blow fuses causing the car to stall and lose power WHILE driving. Very dangerous. Clean record on the car, unfortunately whoever owned it before me abused the car. I'll miss her, kind of.

Good Car Overall but had minor issues
By luke12321 on 03/01/12 13:47 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006, it had around 45k on it. I drove the car for about 100k miles when I owned it. First, the car says to run premium only but I never did. I ran regular in it the entire time and it never gave me any issues. Issues with car: Replaced 02 sensor, transmission was making a clicking noise, but never gave me any issues. Sunroof gave me trouble with jumping, jerking, really rough to open. I just stopped using it soon after buying it. Back hatch would not stay up when opened. Dash is cheap, it was cracked when I bought it. Wasn't starting well, I didn't want to deal with any longer so I sold it. Glad I owned it, good car and low maintenance.

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS
By japanesewerkz on 09/05/11 20:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 130k as a second owner. If your paint is black, it has been recalled. Luckily mine was well taken care off so I was able to use a clay bar and some ultra compund. The rims are also made by chrysler so they will rust. Other than that, this car is mechanically in great shape. It runs perfect, sounds good and just looks sexy. Mine has 152k and has just needed regualar maintainence. If you keep it up to date, then it will run. Ive seen many of these 4 cylinders hit 250k and still run great. Engine mounts and tranny are common things to replace a bit earlier than usual, other than though it runs and wont leave you with an empty pocket. Fuel econ. is decent though.

Poor thing...
By jenni63 on 01/29/11 21:50 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 01 Eclipse since I was 16, about 6 years now. I must say, I do love my car and have done my best to take care of it, but it loves the shop too much. Every year I have to replace the battery, and everytime it's gone out getting it to the shop is a piece of work. Supposedly the computer has to 'be reset' otherwise it completely shuts off while driving. We've replaced the battery cables, etc. but it still eats through the battery. Fortunately (from an optimistic view), when something breaks, other things (unrelated) break as well so it's killing two birds with one stone, but it's a hassle. Everyone I've known who had this car has already had to trade it in from far too many issues.

Great Car
By mitsubishiGTdriver on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 3 years and bought it with 73,000 miles on it. It now has 148,000 miles on it. The v6 is torquey but still good on fuel. The manual transmission shifts smooth but has a direct feel. It leans a bit more than I'd like in sharper turns but never feels unsafe. I've never had to do any major repairs to this car. Only thing that broke was the EGR solenoid. A $40 part from the dealer. Very fun to drive and easy to to long trips in. I drive it 100 miles round trip everyday. I average about 28.5 mpg.

Fun to drive
By jason on 09/04/10 11:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Eclipse gt at the beginning of summer and ive loved it all. it has a body kit, k and n cold air intake, stage 2 clutch custom paint tinted windows subs and an invadia exhaust system with bigger piping from the cat to the muffler. I love driving the car around and it gets good gas mileage especially with the cold air. Insurance on them is a little high but it is a sports car. in the end if you plan on having some fun with the car and adding on some things its great and i say go for it.

Love it so far
By B Tator on 08/28/10 16:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

i purchased this car about a month and a half ago and i love just about everything about it and there's so many things you can customize on it with aftermarket parts, i would recommend it to anyone thinking about getting this car

Garbage
By Ghostman on 04/09/10 02:02 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Got this car for my girl from the El Cajon dealership, first mistake. Paid too much for it and the people at dealership are chumps and don't know anything. ECM died a few months after we bought it thankfully it was under warranty. Dashboard WILL eventually crack due to cheap thin plastic, paint is fading fast(car is 2001!)bottom weather strip came off back window, shocks don't work well for the glass hatch. Other then that it looks alright and drives smooth and quick. For a car with under 60k and the price we paid there should be way less problems.

Better try something else...
By SAAVY on 03/12/10 14:03 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It says it all: built in USA with "some" Japanese parts... Used to have a 1997 and besides absolutely gorgeous, way much better in every way (of course totally manufactured in Japan!) I had to add lots of aftermarket parts to get decent engine performance (even having 0.4 liters more than the '97 model), and is a gas guzzler! Front is very roomy, but back is a pain for guest riders. The dashboard is made of the thinnest and cheapest plastic they found, so every other owner has it cracked, electric problems everywhere, struts and tires won't last more than 60k miles.