2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
2000 Eclipse GT
By Oliver on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

After a shaky first year the car has been trouble free. Two problems that I took the car in for: AC stopped cooling shortly after use (factory overfilled refrigerent) and remote lock failed (receiver). Factory issued 5 recalls in first year but I did not experience the problems. This Eclipse has the Sportronic tranny which is convenient in the metro area and fun in the country.

2000 Eclipse
By pjjackson on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

This car lacks the power of the previous turbo-charged Eclipse/ Plymouth Laser but the styling is nicer. The 3 L six uses premium fuel but averages 32-34 mph on the highway and about 28 overall. The suspension is a bit soft but, with good, well balanced tires, the ride is very good.

Very fun car to drive
By bnelson1980 on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I just bought my 2000 Eclipse GT. So far so good. I drove it across the country. Exterior is awesome, interior has very easy to use controls, performance is great. You can also find a lot of aftermarket performance parts for this car. I just wish they made a Turbo version.

Runs great after 3 years
By donutello on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had this car for over 3 years now and have yet to have anything break down or quit working on me. So far the only times I've had to take it to the shop has been for oil changes and new tires after I had a bad blowout.

RS Review
By maverick74 on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

After owning the '00 eclipse RS for 3.5 years, overall i can say that the eclipse is decent car, its beautiful,reliability has been good, but performance and handling are little better than my 87 escort. Acceleration is decent but the car is too heavy. The front brakes have been a constant problem since i have owned the car.(brake vibration coming from front) Steering is slow and body roll is pronounced...not too much fun on curvy roads. Lots of road noise at highway speeds. The vehicle comes stripped bare in the RS trim so if you can afford it, go for the GS or GT. While i have fixed mine up, its better to get all the accessories from the beginning.

???
By terry24 on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

95k in 3yrs. Fun car with hot design qualities. However alot of rattleing noises.Questionable about how solid this car is built. Replaced a motor mount. All other components ok. Still have yet to prove itself in the long haul as the miles rack up.

The flaws are starting to show...
By JBB on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

For long-haul highway driving, it is surprisingly comfortable, handles well, and still looks pretty good. The Tampa Blue – coke bottle green, really – stands out. Interior is very comfortable...for a sporty coupe. Mileage is fine, nothing special. Trunk release latch has never worked well, and the aluminum wheels are made from inferior materials: BIG problem, at $350-400/per.

Longterm lease
By MarkAM on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had this vehicle for almost the full 5yrs and the only regret I have is that I didn't buy it outright. The car has performed flawlessly---even with 3 recalls for minor preventive fixes. (I never had problems) The car's balance handles well in snow (Midwest blizzard recently) and traction on wet roads I would rate as good.

Its been a joyride!
By missarin on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I purchased mine used May 2001. It came with 20K miles on it and I have put about 14K more on it in the past year and 9 months. I have had no internal problems with this car. For some reason, I have busted about 4 tires in that time period, but I doubt that is car related. Just odd b/c it never happened with any other car I have had. But its a lot of fun to drive - great pick up. It too has the 205 HP (didn't realize the HP was cut back to 200). Of course, its also very snazzy looking. And its been quite reliable.

Very nice for the money
By jspin77 on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 2000. Overall the car is great (for the price). I have not had a single problem yet and have almost 60k miles on it. I was very impressed when I slid in to a curb and hit one of my tires (very hard) and the alignment was still rock solid. I have one minor glich with the stereo. Sometimes the display goes blank but if you just turn it on and off, it comes back on. Also, when the hatchback opens and it has water on it, the water goes into the trunk. Make sure you get the aluminum gas cap, I just laugh at all you and your plastic ones.