2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
Fun and dependable
By gmeeper on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

When I bought this car it was only because it looked good and I didn't care about anything else. I've had the car for 4+ years now and am still amazed at how well built and dependable this car has been. I've never had any problems with the car and for a sportscar is surprisingly spacious. I once even crammed 7 people into the car. I make many trips to Lowe's and Home Depot and am still amazed at how much can fit into this car. Even after all this years, my car can still beat most off the line and gets great gas milage. I would highly recommend this car to anyone who needs a versitle car that looks damn good!

A great companion
By Basshed on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I have really enjoyed the comfort of the car for the long haul, the appreciative comments and glances from passer-by and friends. The performance is perfect for me, it's reassuring - not freaky while still fun. The car also is a tank, I T-boned a vehicle at 40 and walked away. Car was rebuildable. The final note is that the interior needs tightened a bit for world class refinement and a bit more firmness in the front suspension to keep the wheels planted in wet weather... otherwise a great companion.

3rd gen not the way to go
By strong bad on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

Grant it I think this car, looks beautiful, but being the last "sports" coupe mitsubishi made they really should have put a little more effort into it. The quality of materials that have been used are very dissapointing, the glove box that doesn't properly latch, 6 spoke GT rims bending, and 5 spd transmission problems. These items were the most of my troubles some others being acceptable; rear spoiler blocking to much rear view, cup holder not allowing to shift, hatch to heavy for release to function properly.

Not Happy with my Eclipse GT
By Little old lady on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT brand new. It has been a nightmare since almost the first day. I have replaced the wheeel 5 times.(one wheel 2 times) here have also been problems with the rotors, the clutch, the A/C, the lights, and starter, severe rust, and a few more problems. I tried to trade it in but after 50 months of payments, the trade in was still less than what I owed. Also, the parts are skyrocket high - $500 for a headlight, $500 for a muffler, $600 for a tune-up, $600 to replace the timing belt, etc. I would not recommend this car.

car
By Jennacookielover on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

i love it. it has a smooth ride and it is a really comfortable car.

fun, but lots of trouble
By Anth1031 on 12/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

It's been a very expensive car to have, even if i do like it. It's broken down on me from atleast 4 major mechanical problems, from a new engine to a new transmission, 2 clutches, altenator broke down the next morning when i took it off the lot. It was a new car with only 26 miles on it too. Only the engine and altenator were covered with the warranty, everything else was out of pocket, even car rentals which lasted up to 1 month. My out of pocket cost would be about 6,500. I wouldn't recommend any mitsubishi, service from all areas was equally as bad. The minute you pay them, they forget who you are and ignore any of your other concerns.

Love the car
By durachal on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

As a whole the car is great, needs a little more power...

good in winter
By Alison on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I didn't set out to buy this car, was sort of conned into it by a boyfriend, then stuck with it when he didn't buy it off of me like he said he would. When I moved to Vermont I thought no way this car would last one winter. Now I'm on my third winter. I put on studded snow tires and this car handles better than a 4x4. People are surprised when I tell them. Sure it still can't handle deep snow, but roads are usually plowed, so it's not a problem. It's amazing how much you can fit in the hatch.

not quite as good as the 1995-1999 turbo
By GENE on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

The first thing Mitsubishi needs to do is rethink the quality of materials in the interior. The leather feels cheap, i lotion it at least once a month and the passenger seat is drying and cracking already.The interior design however is a big step up from the 2nd generation. The black paint sucks! It looks like crap already, despite getting waxed once a month.The sunroof motor won't open and close the sunroof all the way sometimes. The glove box door pops open when the car is jolted.

bad paint and cracking dash
By durby on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

have had the car since 1999 and the paint has oxidized more than once and the dahboard has 3 major cracks from the cheap plastic used. it is out of warranty, but we all know that the paint ahould not oxidize in this time frame. the dashboard cracks are getting bigger each day and they won't touch that due to the warranty issue. Mitsubishi...stand by your product and don't be so cheap with the materials.