Used 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Over 115,00 and still running
By Toledored

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I was third owner and bought with 68,000miles. It is 4 years later and over 115,000 miles and running great! Very impressed with its high performance and handling. Still zippy and fun to drive; handles very well in snow, as long as it's not too deep as the car sets low. Have had issues with aluminum rims and having to replace tires that won't seal the rims. Added a remote start so car heats quickly in cold. Had to replace shocks initially, but no problem in 4 years.

Favorite Features

Sporty handling, interior held up well, decent factory stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Better insulation to road noise; better placement of should harness seat belt as it cuts into neck on taller folks.

Fun but costly
By CoupeDriver

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I just sold my Mitsubishi Eclipse after owning it for 2.5 years. The repair costs for this car in the 2.5 years I owned it were equal to 90% of the purchase price of the car. I loved the car but just couldn't afford to keep paying for everything it needed done to it. At least it never stranded me. I miss my car; it was so much fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive; excellent sounding Infinity stereo system; looks great inside and out; reasonably fast.

Suggested Improvements

Opening the hatchback is a 2-handed operation, a hassle when you have groceries in your hands--this should be simpler. RPM at highway speed limit too high. A 6th gear is needed. The ride is rough, at times brutal. The wheels are too soft; I had to replace them all from just one season's potholes.

Great Car!
By Skyler

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought it used at about 50,000 miles, and only had to replace the clutch and tires from the original. Believe it or not the brake pads have never been replaced in eight years! No major problems, only maintenance costs. Very reliable car. Alright in snow. And for some reason every girl that sees it falls in love with it. Thats never a bad thing. I drive all in the city and still get 25 mpg in the winter, and 28 in the winter.

Favorite Features

I like the power it has, the V6. Sounds very nice, especially when straight piped. Exotic looking for the price. Nice shifting, never miss gear when at the track.

Suggested Improvements

Heavier clutch. Stiffer suspension. More power, always can use more power. stiffer steering, and stiffer clutch.

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse
By Great Ride

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought my silver 00 Eclipse GT in October of 99 off the showroom floor with 7 miles on the odo. I have 73000 miles on the car as of Jan 2008 and have never had any issues, just regular maintainance. It's been the most fun car I've ever owned. It spends the night in the garage so it still looks showroom new. The only minor warranty issues were that the left foot rest pad broke off, dealer replaced for free. Rear speakers lost some power and dealer couldn't figure out why. Original tires lasted 60K miles, and I replaced the rear brakepads early due to uneven wear. I would recommend a mitsubishi to anyone.

Favorite Features

The V6 power gives more power than the car weight can handle, just try to keep the tires from spinning. The styling still looks cool after eight years. I love the interior design. Great resale value.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that they should have done is the fog lights need to come on independently, 2000 model foglights can only be turned on with the headlights. Shifing could also be smoother.

I am still driving it and it has 36,868
By Eclipse driver

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

My car has never given me one bit of trouble. I loved it from the first time I saw it. It is red. I am the only owner and bought it new from the showroom. The only problem I have had was the check engine light that has come on twice since I have had it. It is on now so I hope this is not the beginning of problems. I did find out that if you do not screw the gas cap until it clicks at least 4 times that the check engine light could come on. I think the gas cap is a little loose now, which may be the problem. Had it checked today and said the engine was fine so don't know why the light won't go off. I will investigate but it still drives as good as ever. I just love my car... everything!

Favorite Features

Design, smooth driving, radio, gas mileage is even good!!

Suggested Improvements

They need to fix that check engine soon problem. I have had to hand open the sunroof a couple of times. The rubber on the outside of the windows is a tad corroded (probably from age), but those are my only complaints! I have enjoyed my car.