2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2000 Eclipse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Sort Reviews by

I love my car
By NeverSummer420

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

My car has really been good to me. It only has 60,000 on it but it still drives like she was brand new. Granted you always have to do preventive maintenance to keep 'em running well, but it is very reliable and a very sexy car.

Fun to Drive, NOT to Fix
By Eclipsin50

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 2000 Eclipse GT used with 43000 miles on it. I didn't have the car a month before I started having major problems. The car has always run hot, even with replacing the thermostats twice, I've replaced the transmission, the sunroof has never worked properly, dashboard cracked when it was cold outside, both power window motors have been replaced,and many smaller things as well. I would NOT recommend an Eclipse to anyone

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive to the repair shop.

2000 Eclipse, High Quality and Fun to Drive!
By Me Me

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I have driven this Eclipse for six years and have never had any major problems. I love it! It is so fun to drive! The SportTronic is great, since there is no clutch to deal with! The Infinity sound system is the BEST! It has such high quality sound! This is a great sports car. I highly recommend it!

Favorite Features

The sound system, 6-disc changer in dash, SportTronic transmission, the looks, reliability, and speed!

Suggested Improvements

The only small problem I have had with the stereo is one of the buttons has stopped working.

OK Overall
By Bit

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

When I first drove my 2000 Eclipse GT off the lot I loved it. I loved the power of the torque pushing me back in the seat and the looks of the car. I even like the sound of the exaust note. A couple of years later, I still drive it and like the power. The engine is as reliable as when I drove it off the lot. The rest of the car has had minor wear and tear issues. But, the car has been the best new car I have owned. I have not had major issues. I like the storage space in the back which shrinks away with the newer models. I can fit my whole mountain bike in the back without disassembling it and just go. I do think the car could be lighter and be tighter on cornering.

Favorite Features

The engine torque, rear storage, and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Give it sturdier suspension parts and better handling.

Loved This Car
By webmaiden

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new in 8-00. I have never had a minute's trouble except one time when the battery died. Other than that, I kept up with the normal maintenance, including oil changes, filters, tire rotations, tranny flush, timing belt, etc. I absolutely loved this car. I had it until the other day when a car ran a red light and I hit it. The airbags deployed and I walked away without a scratch. The car, however, suffered more damage than it was worth. I was very upset about having to give it up. I'd probably buy another Eclipse, but would definitely upgrade. P.S. I got a great insurance settlement!

Favorite Features

I felt it really had nice pick up, especially at higher speeds (65+) it had that little extra umph I needed to pass. I also liked that it always looked stylish, never outdated.

Suggested Improvements

Why black interiors? I live in Florida! Black is hot!

Still love it!
By Temple

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

After two years of ownership, I still look at my 2000 Eclipse the same way I did when I got it. "Buyers' Remorse" has yet to set in. Although it's considered a bit older design now, it still looks pretty on the road and can proudly be displayed right up front in any parking lot. With proper care and maintenance I've had no problems. She rides smoothly on the highway and has the power when I need it. North American car makers should've taken note...the Eclipse is a sweet looking car that's fun to drive at a very reasonalble price. This is a winning combination. Given the choice over again I would have NO hesitation on purchasing the same vehicle.

Favorite Features

I like the looks. No matter where I go and park I can proudly hold my head up knowing that it is always one of the better looking in the lot. I also like the power that it posseses. In this case you CAN "tell a book by it's cover" and the performance will not let you down.

Suggested Improvements

Poor visibility: You really have to be careful when making lane changes and such as it has severe blindspots. I overcome that to an extent by convex mirror attachments but I'm still very careful. They also need to watch the quality on some interior plastics as some have come off.

Good for A While
By Midwest Kid

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

My 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse ran excellent for the first 50,000 miles. Then it started to have a few little problems - the front tire kept going flat, brakes were bad, a water leak. Nothing major, but annoying. Mine has 75,000 miles on it and still has no major issues. It gets great gas mileage and is actually quite pleasant on a long road trips, as long as there is only two people. However, it surprisingly can carry a lot. The ground clearance is minimal so I have bumper damage.

Favorite Features

The great gas mileage and surprising room for skis, furniture, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Give it higher ground clearance. Also, slightly more interior room would be nice.

Fun to drive when it runs.
By R Harry

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I love my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse. It is fun to drive and very versitile. I only wish this car was more dependable. I have become good friends with my mechanic and the process of towing.

Favorite Features

The sporty looks and how fun it is to drive.

Worst Car that I have Ever Owned
By clrcode

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

Since buying my 2000 Eclipse it had the transmission re-built at about 30,000 miles, this took three weeks or more. The sunroof has never worked right. When car was under warranty it was in shop about nine times the first two years just for the sunroof. At about 65,000 miles the transmission is giving me trouble again. The car was in the shop dozens of times for different reasons. After complaining to Mitsubishi about the car while under factory warranty I was then told by the dealer if I did not stop complaining about the car they would refuse to work on it. This was said in front of Mitsubishi District Manager. Guess its okay to sell a car to you, but fixing it was another story. I would never recommend any Mitsubishi to anyone.

Favorite Features

The only thing I can say about my Mitsubishi Eclipse is that it is a nice looking car and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I feel that the only improvement on the Mitsubishi Eclipse would be that the Mitsubishi Company back the cars they sell. I know that problems will happen with cars, but at least fix and back the product. Do everything to make that customer come back to buy another car. I will never buy another one.

Love at first drive!
By Amy

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

My Eclipse is absolutely the car of my dreams. I wouldn't have another car..especially for my first car. It's been a great gas saver--about 300 miles to the tank which costs 25 dollars to fill up! Ahhh, it really was love at first drive!

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING!