Used 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Where did my paint go??
By happyinIA

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had my GT for just over four years now, and I absolutely love it! It's SOO much fun to drive and definitely turns heads. The only thing is, mine's turning heads for all the wrong reasons. Within a year of buying my black GT the paint started to fade, and is now almost completely gone. I've called dealers to check about paint recalls and there aren't any, but since buying my car I've seen many many other black ones with the same paint loss as mine. Other than the 'vanishing paint' I've never had to do a single thing other than routine maintenance (oil changes etc). This is a very fun car, looks great inside and out and gets surprisingly decent gas mileage. I can't wait to buy the new model!

Lots of get-up-and-go, tons of trunk space and very reliable. Mine also came stock with a very good Infinity sound system.

The 17'' tires are pricey to replace and also hard to find... one mechanic I called looking for a tire suggested that if I was planning to keep the car I should just convert the rims from 17'' to 18'', it would be cheaper. Also the backseats have almost 0 room for passengers & obviously paint is :-(

Poor Interior Design and Materials
By thomcat30

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

The motor and transmission on this car have been reasonably reliable, there are problems with the motor mounts failing on this model, the car itself has never been weather tight meaning several leaks during rain storms etc. The car should get better gas mileage IE 25 to 27 mpg highway. The dash has been a flop. The plastic just crumbles into a heap of plastic. Don't waste your time on hiring Dr. Vinyl, just get a cloth cover and call it good.

Fun to drive

Better dash plastics, Interior parts

Sporty n good lookin car
By Christy

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car in '07 with 70k, now it has 86k and still runs smooth. The only thing that I've had to replace so far were the motor mounts.. Other than that the car has been reliable and hasn't given me any problems *knock on wood* Of course, any car will last you provided you don't floor it every second and keep up with regular maintenance. Quick (v6) and fun to drive with the sportronic, nowhere near a manual tho, Decent ride on the roads. Believe it or not after 9 yrs it still turns some heads! Opening the hatch is great resistance exercise for my arms ;) Comfortable for me in the front but I feel sorry for whoever has to sit in the back but hey, that's a 2door for ya!

Love the exterior design, I always look back at it (lol). Leather interior's nice too. Stock exhaust sounds sweet, I pity those who replace it. Sound system's pretty good as well.

Nasty blind spots, seatbelt cuts onto neck as someone said earlier, sunroof needs a lil push to open completely. A lil bit more power wouldn't hurt but that's resolved in the 4g. Overall, I'm happy with my white baby!

Ready to go
By 159,000

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had my car for almost two years. I have had to replace the catalytic converter, some gaskets and right now I have to replace the solenoid switch. I still love my car.

cd player.

Love at first drive ...
By Mike in StLouis

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this 2000 Eclipse GT since it was new. Okay, it was a dealer demo, so it had 3k on it when I bought it but I've enjoyed every mile since. The silver bullet was a good choice for me. From the moment that I sat in the scooped out driver's seat, I knew that this was the car for me. I am happy to report that I've had to do VERY LITTLE unexpected work and I'm at 127,000 miles. I've done the typical routine stuff, such as timing belts (important), tires, accessory belts, etc, but the really only unexpected repair came a few weeks ago in the form of a bad fuel pump. Let me say it again, 127k and this was my first unexpected repair. I'm still on my original clutch!

The clutch is easy to use, the strong performance of the V6, the fantastic fuel economy (usually 27-29mpg with mostly highway driving), the excellent sound system, and the timeless good looks. Great highway cruiser! The interior fits me like a glove too. And it can really scoot in the snow!!!

While I have VERY FEW complaints about this car, the galactic turning radius is insane for a car this size. Parallel parking and u-turns are a pain. A couple of the interior plastic bits have not aged well, but we're talking about a nine-year old car here ... so it's expected at this point.