Used 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Loved This Car
By webmaiden

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new in 8-00. I have never had a minute's trouble except one time when the battery died. Other than that, I kept up with the normal maintenance, including oil changes, filters, tire rotations, tranny flush, timing belt, etc. I absolutely loved this car. I had it until the other day when a car ran a red light and I hit it. The airbags deployed and I walked away without a scratch. The car, however, suffered more damage than it was worth. I was very upset about having to give it up. I'd probably buy another Eclipse, but would definitely upgrade. P.S. I got a great insurance settlement!

Favorite Features

I felt it really had nice pick up, especially at higher speeds (65+) it had that little extra umph I needed to pass. I also liked that it always looked stylish, never outdated.

Suggested Improvements

Why black interiors? I live in Florida! Black is hot!

Love at first drive!
By Amy

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

My Eclipse is absolutely the car of my dreams. I wouldn't have another car..especially for my first car. It's been a great gas saver--about 300 miles to the tank which costs 25 dollars to fill up! Ahhh, it really was love at first drive!

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING!

good in winter
By Alison

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I didn't set out to buy this car, was sort of conned into it by a boyfriend, then stuck with it when he didn't buy it off of me like he said he would. When I moved to Vermont I thought no way this car would last one winter. Now I'm on my third winter. I put on studded snow tires and this car handles better than a 4x4. People are surprised when I tell them. Sure it still can't handle deep snow, but roads are usually plowed, so it's not a problem. It's amazing how much you can fit in the hatch.

Favorite Features

I saw some reviews that complain of the cars pick-up. I disagree. I think the car has excellent pickup. And I can cruise up these Vermont mountain hills at 65mph, no problem. Perhaps it is the 5 speed transmission that helps.

Suggested Improvements

More head room in the back seats. Of course that would change the look of the car.

Such a fun car!
By Va Beach

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I love my doodle-mobile! It's cute, fun, reliable and an overall pleasure to drive. It's a perfect single person's car. And, the hatch provides ample space for luggage or just about anything you need to haul. My next car will be an upgrade to the GTS . . Mitsubishi did it right with this cutie!

Favorite Features

Appearance, handling, acceleration and reliability are my favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

The interior quality of the RS isn't the greatest.

RS Review
By maverick74

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

After owning the '00 eclipse RS for 3.5 years, overall i can say that the eclipse is decent car, its beautiful,reliability has been good, but performance and handling are little better than my 87 escort. Acceleration is decent but the car is too heavy. The front brakes have been a constant problem since i have owned the car.(brake vibration coming from front) Steering is slow and body roll is pronounced...not too much fun on curvy roads. Lots of road noise at highway speeds. The vehicle comes stripped bare in the RS trim so if you can afford it, go for the GS or GT. While i have fixed mine up, its better to get all the accessories from the beginning.

Favorite Features

Styling, fuel economy, 6 disc changer (added on- not standard) Comfortable front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better front brakes, less road noise, quicker steering and sharper handling.ABS should be an option on all eclipses not just the top of the line models