2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
Best car I've owned
By hot_karl on 05/14/12 22:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

After owning 3 Camaros I decided it was time to try something different so I went ahead and bought an Eclipse GT. I owned the car for 6 years and drove it hard all year round, did numerous cross country trips with it and had very few problems. It may not have been the fastest car out there but it was still very fun to drive. The handling felt great and the V6 sounded awesome when you revved it past 3000 rpm. Gas mileage hovered around 28-30 on my trips which consisted mostly of highway driving. I sold it about a year ago after I let a friend of mine drive it and he burnt up the clutch. Now I'm trying to find another car that was just as great as my Eclipse was.

I miss this car
By master_pate on 03/29/12 06:41 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

Last year I had to sell my GT to make room for a family SUV, it was a very sad day. I owned the Eclipse for 6 years and never had a mechanical issue. It was fast, good looking and reliable... the perfect non-family vehicle.

Good first Car
By chewetson825 on 02/27/12 09:01 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

This was the car I bought when I was 16. I got it with 119,000 miles on the clock and it now has 152,000. Overall, it has been a pretty good first car. I'll be sad to part ways with it when i get a new car.

Runs Strong 250,000 Plus Miles
By jfooks on 09/12/11 21:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought my car for $2000 about 5 months back with 240,000 miles on it and have put well over 15,000 and have not done anything to it. Before i bought this car I had a 93 eclipse with well over 220,000 miles and the only thing i had to do to it was replace the alternator. All in all these cars are worth the money.

Sure do Like my 2000 GT Eclipse!
By imgtgim on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought my 2000 GT Eclipse new in May 2000, and this is the first / only one I've ever bought new. Still own it now in late 2010, and still love it! I've never had any repair work, except typical maintenance to replace brakes, belts, tires, etc. Still runs great! When my wife tells me to "wind-it-up baby!" the engine purrs and the (original) muffler still has a deep-throat throttle sound. It really is nice to drive anywhere, in-town or on the road, and I really like the pseudo shift from automatic to "manual" for winter driving (i.e., when bumper-to-bumper" on snow & ice. I'd think about trading-in for new but what's the point? If it ain't broke, don;t fix it!

Going strong
By shep on 07/02/10 18:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this in 2003 with 28k miles. Always get regular service done on this car and I now have 104k miles on it. The car has held up well and it still looks great compared to others on the road. I plan to keep it going as long as I can unless something major turns up. It's been reliable and is still fun to drive.

2000 GT - 146,000 miles
By Michelle on 03/21/10 14:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in 2002 with 35,000 on it. It has been a really good car. Just breaks and tires. The fuel pump did go out in 2009 and so did a bearing for my wheel. My hatch does stick, need 2 hands to open, plus the sunroof needs a hand popping open, that was like that when I bought it. I drive on the expressway to work back and forth 60 miles a day. Not too bad in the snow for being a sports car, but looking into getting a SUV for next winter. All and all got real lucky with this car, no major problems!

I have loved this car (mostly)
By jetchik on 11/18/09 13:52 PM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car brand new almost 10 years ago! Mileage is 94,498. It's been good to me even though I have not always been so good to it. Have had no mechanical issues,except leak and battery. Performed all scheduled mx over the years. Had an oil pan leak last year--changed the gasket and good-to-go now. Have driven it USA cross country numerous times, and all over Europe as well. I have lived in many climates, cold, wet, hot, dry. 3500ft and it has been awesome in all. Heat and A/C work like champs! A/C cools immediately in 115+ temps! It has even been in storage for 1 yr while in Korea and sat outside for my numerous 4-6 month desert deployments. Hence the low miles/many long trips.

Where did my paint go??
By happyinIA on 09/06/09 23:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had my GT for just over four years now, and I absolutely love it! It's SOO much fun to drive and definitely turns heads. The only thing is, mine's turning heads for all the wrong reasons. Within a year of buying my black GT the paint started to fade, and is now almost completely gone. I've called dealers to check about paint recalls and there aren't any, but since buying my car I've seen many many other black ones with the same paint loss as mine. Other than the 'vanishing paint' I've never had to do a single thing other than routine maintenance (oil changes etc). This is a very fun car, looks great inside and out and gets surprisingly decent gas mileage. I can't wait to buy the new model!

Poor Interior Design and Materials
By thomcat30 on 07/10/09 16:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

The motor and transmission on this car have been reasonably reliable, there are problems with the motor mounts failing on this model, the car itself has never been weather tight meaning several leaks during rain storms etc. The car should get better gas mileage IE 25 to 27 mpg highway. The dash has been a flop. The plastic just crumbles into a heap of plastic. Don't waste your time on hiring Dr. Vinyl, just get a cloth cover and call it good.