Used 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Best car I've owned
By hot_karl

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

After owning 3 Camaros I decided it was time to try something different so I went ahead and bought an Eclipse GT. I owned the car for 6 years and drove it hard all year round, did numerous cross country trips with it and had very few problems. It may not have been the fastest car out there but it was still very fun to drive. The handling felt great and the V6 sounded awesome when you revved it past 3000 rpm. Gas mileage hovered around 28-30 on my trips which consisted mostly of highway driving. I sold it about a year ago after I let a friend of mine drive it and he burnt up the clutch. Now I'm trying to find another car that was just as great as my Eclipse was.

Decent power, looks great, sounds great, handling felt great, reliable, and you'll be surprised what you can fit in that trunk!

Routine maintenance (tires, timing belt, spark plugs etc) got a little pricey. It only took premium fuel.

I miss this car
By master_pate

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

Last year I had to sell my GT to make room for a family SUV, it was a very sad day. I owned the Eclipse for 6 years and never had a mechanical issue. It was fast, good looking and reliable... the perfect non-family vehicle.

Pretty much everything

Only complaint I had was the turn radius was horrible.

Good first Car
By chewetson825

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

This was the car I bought when I was 16. I got it with 119,000 miles on the clock and it now has 152,000. Overall, it has been a pretty good first car. I'll be sad to part ways with it when i get a new car.

The engine in this car is very good. Its strong and decently good on gas seeing that it is a 3.0L v6. The only thing I've ever had to replace on the engine is the clutch (this is the car i learned to drive a stick in so it was expected.) I drive it to and from college (2 hour trip) and it never misses a beat. I found that if you change the tires from the stock size (215/50/17) to 215/45/17, it help the handling out a lot. With an aftermarket intake, the exhaust noise is very nice. It makes it a bit louder without making it sound like a honda civic with a fart can.

The electricals on this car seem to go wrong quite often. When I accelerate, the headlights and dash lights all flicker very badly. I replaced the alternator about a year ago and replaced the battery in october, but neither has helped. The steering rods seem to go bad a lot too, but I think this is more due to the fact that it has a rebuilt title and it was never fixed 100%. A complaint i see a lot is the hydraulics that hold the trunk open go bad and it won't stay opened. This has happened to me and it is very frustrating. The last thing is this car does not do well in the snow. Sure, its front wheel drive, but its too light and it just spins.

Runs Strong 250,000 Plus Miles
By jfooks

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought my car for $2000 about 5 months back with 240,000 miles on it and have put well over 15,000 and have not done anything to it. Before i bought this car I had a 93 eclipse with well over 220,000 miles and the only thing i had to do to it was replace the alternator. All in all these cars are worth the money.

Sure do Like my 2000 GT Eclipse!
By imgtgim

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought my 2000 GT Eclipse new in May 2000, and this is the first / only one I've ever bought new. Still own it now in late 2010, and still love it! I've never had any repair work, except typical maintenance to replace brakes, belts, tires, etc. Still runs great! When my wife tells me to "wind-it-up baby!" the engine purrs and the (original) muffler still has a deep-throat throttle sound. It really is nice to drive anywhere, in-town or on the road, and I really like the pseudo shift from automatic to "manual" for winter driving (i.e., when bumper-to-bumper" on snow & ice. I'd think about trading-in for new but what's the point? If it ain't broke, don;t fix it!

Styling & speed.

Relocate / move inside mirror, as its placement creates a blind-spot for cars approaching from the right when stopped at an intersection.