Used 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

BEWARE
By Tristen

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I've had this car for 2 years and it started out wonderful.After a year it started having air conditioning problems,and by problems I mean leaking in the floorboard.The clutch sticks and also the gear shifter.Its fun to drive but just isn't worth all the hassle.

250,000 and still going!!!
By Alex

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I got this car for free with 160k miles when i sold my other car, anyways the guy drove it for 3 hrs overheating due to bad radiator so when i got it i replace the radiatorand put around 10k more miles...the car hold fine with no other issues so i decide to pump it up a little. Now it has 250k miles and dont even smoke!!! Great car but it has no $ value if you are going to sell it.

Best car I've owned
By hot_karl

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

After owning 3 Camaros I decided it was time to try something different so I went ahead and bought an Eclipse GT. I owned the car for 6 years and drove it hard all year round, did numerous cross country trips with it and had very few problems. It may not have been the fastest car out there but it was still very fun to drive. The handling felt great and the V6 sounded awesome when you revved it past 3000 rpm. Gas mileage hovered around 28-30 on my trips which consisted mostly of highway driving. I sold it about a year ago after I let a friend of mine drive it and he burnt up the clutch. Now I'm trying to find another car that was just as great as my Eclipse was.

Decent power, looks great, sounds great, handling felt great, reliable, and you'll be surprised what you can fit in that trunk!

Routine maintenance (tires, timing belt, spark plugs etc) got a little pricey. It only took premium fuel.

I miss this car
By master_pate

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

Last year I had to sell my GT to make room for a family SUV, it was a very sad day. I owned the Eclipse for 6 years and never had a mechanical issue. It was fast, good looking and reliable... the perfect non-family vehicle.

Pretty much everything

Only complaint I had was the turn radius was horrible.

Good first Car
By chewetson825

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

This was the car I bought when I was 16. I got it with 119,000 miles on the clock and it now has 152,000. Overall, it has been a pretty good first car. I'll be sad to part ways with it when i get a new car.

The engine in this car is very good. Its strong and decently good on gas seeing that it is a 3.0L v6. The only thing I've ever had to replace on the engine is the clutch (this is the car i learned to drive a stick in so it was expected.) I drive it to and from college (2 hour trip) and it never misses a beat. I found that if you change the tires from the stock size (215/50/17) to 215/45/17, it help the handling out a lot. With an aftermarket intake, the exhaust noise is very nice. It makes it a bit louder without making it sound like a honda civic with a fart can.

The electricals on this car seem to go wrong quite often. When I accelerate, the headlights and dash lights all flicker very badly. I replaced the alternator about a year ago and replaced the battery in october, but neither has helped. The steering rods seem to go bad a lot too, but I think this is more due to the fact that it has a rebuilt title and it was never fixed 100%. A complaint i see a lot is the hydraulics that hold the trunk open go bad and it won't stay opened. This has happened to me and it is very frustrating. The last thing is this car does not do well in the snow. Sure, its front wheel drive, but its too light and it just spins.