1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
By bryan1x on 09/05/13 13:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I bought this car used and I've had it for around 10 years now and counting. I've honestly have had no problems with my car, it's always been reliable since the day I bought it. For the past 4-5 years I've modified the car and race in the SCCA with it. It puts out 300hp on a dyno. This car beats SVT Mustangs and Corvettes around the circuit, and even beat a Dodge Challenger 6.1 HEMI in a drag race. It has the 4G63 engine, which is the same engine as the Mitsubishi EVO. With that in mind and the all wheel drive and turbo, these cars are unique and getting hard to find. I will never sell my car.

Great first car!
By lawrence on 08/27/10 20:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

For the two years which I've had my car its been great, especially because it has hardly cost me much on repairs. With 18" rims the look is great and sporty, and a loud exhaust to top it off, love the way it turns heads, it's been a great first car and hope to keep it till it dies out!

The Perfect First Car!
By Mares on 02/03/10 08:04 AM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

This was my first car and it was wonderful! I bought it in 2002 and it ran well for about 7 years without any major issues. The timing belt went but it's likely on all eclipses. It rides well and is very sporty looking. I'd recommend this car to anyone.

Extremely Unreliable
By RK on 09/19/09 09:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

Like may youngsters, I chose Eclipse to be my first car out of the college in 12/06. With the lil money I could spend, I wanted a decent sports car but this one is highly unreliable. To name a few problems - engine oil leaks heavily, door handles broken, power window button set broken, poor battery and alternator system, cheap brakes, emission problems, bad oxygen sensors and poor efficiency 17mpg in the city and about 21mpg on hwy to name a few. It broke several times on the road and would not start and got it towed at least 5 times in the last 2 years. However, when it runs it is fun to drive and looks great from outside and inside.

Love this car!
By Frank on 04/24/09 07:14 AM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this used car in 2001 with 20k mileages. I drove it for almost 8 years without major problem. The several minor problems: Remote Locker on the left door not work well, sometime would not unlock or lock. I had 1 accident due to rain wet road, crashed the left tire and front bumper after slipped into the shoulder of road. Fixed and runs good. Right now it is 74k and still runs good. I would want to keep it until 200k but due to my wife can't drive 5 speed manual so I have to give it up.

Awesome Ride
By EclipseJr on 03/22/09 16:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

The car is awesome, it runs beautiful and the roar you get from flooring becomes addicting. I haven't had a problem with the car. I was never interested in one but my friend urged me and I don't regret it at all. Its hard not flooring the pedal especially after adding bolt-ons.

Fun to drive
By Burton on 01/16/09 19:10 PM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

Well, I got the GS sports package so it looks like a GST/GSX which is really nice. I bought the car with 99,750 miles, but the people had the car since it was brand new! The car was also in immaculate condition. The things that make me upset is the doors leak black tar, and the car has a small oil leak. But other then that, good car so far.

Fun to drive
By displaylukasz on 10/16/08 19:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I got the car over a year ago with around 40K on it. I decided to put a kit on it and some black HS rims. I hit a curb doing like 15 mph and the car was like totaled. The entire bumper, gone. It was too low to the ground. The impact cracked both of my custom fenders. About two weeks later the exterior door handle fell off. About a week later my battery died. Week later someone scraped my entire left fender on the left side. The brakes and wheels started squeaking about a month later. I was ready to total my expensive investment by doing 100 into a wall. However things began to look up with my brother being a car mechanic. I haven't had any mechanical issues. Fun to drive.

Worst First Car Ever
By cad3dpd on 06/26/08 14:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I will never own an Eclipse again. I had the car for 8 months, and I put $12,000 in the car, JUST TO MAKE IT RUN! My transmission went, then the engine went. But, I loved the car so I decided to fix the problems, and start for scratch. Horrible idea. Brakes.. Bearings, Power Steering, everything. I was the only person that liked the car just for the exterior. It's small.. and it had the worst squeak I've ever heard (Which I had fixed 3 times)

Fun first car
By display name on 04/18/08 10:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

This is my first car, and it is a lot of fun to drive. I haven't really driven any other cars as much as i have driven this one so i cant really compare it to much else. So far I have put about 5,000 miles on it and I have to say it's a great car. It accelerates pretty well for the 2.0 liter non turbo engine and it handles very well. It can corner at some pretty high speeds. :)