Used 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
By bryan1x

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I bought this car used and I've had it for around 10 years now and counting. I've honestly have had no problems with my car, it's always been reliable since the day I bought it. For the past 4-5 years I've modified the car and race in the SCCA with it. It puts out 300hp on a dyno. This car beats SVT Mustangs and Corvettes around the circuit, and even beat a Dodge Challenger 6.1 HEMI in a drag race. It has the 4G63 engine, which is the same engine as the Mitsubishi EVO. With that in mind and the all wheel drive and turbo, these cars are unique and getting hard to find. I will never sell my car.

Favorite Features

4G63 engine is the best feature of this car. If you know cars, you'll know it's the same engine in the EVO. I love the interior with the dash made for the driver. The fact that this car is all wheel drive make it a lot of fun. I also love the wing, reminds me of the Supra. Besides the engine, I would have to say my favorite part would be the front bumper.

Suggested Improvements

The GSX is great from the factory, but if you want to improve the performance I would suggest a front mount intercooler instead of the side mount. Also an updated airfilter and intake and a turbo-back exhause wouldn't hurt. Keep these cars looking nice and stock on the exterior is the best way this car looks.

Great first car!
By lawrence

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

For the two years which I've had my car its been great, especially because it has hardly cost me much on repairs. With 18" rims the look is great and sporty, and a loud exhaust to top it off, love the way it turns heads, it's been a great first car and hope to keep it till it dies out!

Favorite Features

sporty look, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

better sound system

The Perfect First Car!
By Mares

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

This was my first car and it was wonderful! I bought it in 2002 and it ran well for about 7 years without any major issues. The timing belt went but it's likely on all eclipses. It rides well and is very sporty looking. I'd recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

The sporty look, the size, and sunroof

Suggested Improvements

power windows and locks

Extremely Unreliable
By RK

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

Like may youngsters, I chose Eclipse to be my first car out of the college in 12/06. With the lil money I could spend, I wanted a decent sports car but this one is highly unreliable. To name a few problems - engine oil leaks heavily, door handles broken, power window button set broken, poor battery and alternator system, cheap brakes, emission problems, bad oxygen sensors and poor efficiency 17mpg in the city and about 21mpg on hwy to name a few. It broke several times on the road and would not start and got it towed at least 5 times in the last 2 years. However, when it runs it is fun to drive and looks great from outside and inside.

Favorite Features

Looks great, leather interior, fun to drive when it runs.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, better electronics, more power and better mpg efficiency, audio system.

Love this car!
By Frank

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this used car in 2001 with 20k mileages. I drove it for almost 8 years without major problem. The several minor problems: Remote Locker on the left door not work well, sometime would not unlock or lock. I had 1 accident due to rain wet road, crashed the left tire and front bumper after slipped into the shoulder of road. Fixed and runs good. Right now it is 74k and still runs good. I would want to keep it until 200k but due to my wife can't drive 5 speed manual so I have to give it up.

Favorite Features

Sport feeling, Cool looking

Suggested Improvements

none