Used 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - Consumer Reviews

GSX 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual - (9 reviews )

The best car ever made!
By Me

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I have had several cars in my days American and imports. And by far this is my favorite. I'm a Tech for VW so i know my cars very well. you can't beat an All Wheel Drive turbo car with a manual trans. it's so much fun, its so reliable and it's one of the nicest looking cars ever made. from the mean look of the front end to the wing (spoiler) in the back. it's so easy to squeeze out 350 hp or even more out of this car and cheap too. All in all i think this car is by far one of the best still out there 2008.

Turbo, All wheel drive, spoiler, front end, rear end, manual trans, brakes.

stereo is in bad location. 12v aux input jack is in a horrible location. hard to connect anything and still shift gears into first,

Its Worth It!
By unknown

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

This car gets outstanding mpg ( miles per gallon) for its year and Mitsubishi put in the awd 5spd turbo engine which lets the car punish the pavement. Also, because its a awd car, its a bit easier to drive during winter time because it gets better traction when all the wheels move instead of a 2wd car. This car is reliable, fast, sharp looking, and fuel efficient. This car has all the consumer needs and wants!!!

AWD turbo engine

Mitsubishi should have made more

Eclipse GSX
By Spooln

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I bought this car from a lady I worked with. I bought it from her with 150,000 miles on it. I knew she was nice to it so I got it. I had a few minor issues with the car. The struts just went, the master cylinder just went and my truck opens sometimes. I don't mind because it is an old car. It is fast with the turbo at 9 PSI. I like the design of the exterior and the nice GSX rims. It has amazing handling and makes everyone look at it because of the nice design. Good car to mod if you plan on it. Has quick acceleration. Girls love it and I would for sure buy another one if they come out with another GSX version.

The spoiler, body, turbo, AWD, rims, comfortable and looks nice with tint.

Ram intake for the turbo, 2.5 inch exhaust to free air flow, tint, short shifter because the shifter is to close to the radio. Feel every bumb in the car while driving.

Had mine for 6 years now.
By John Carvajal

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I bought my GSX new back in 1998. I made some modifications over the years to the exhaust and intake. Strut tower braces front and rear help to cure the car's roll during high speed cornering. There are differences in the 4G63 engine from the 1G to the 2G, mainly the turbo and intake manifold. The GSX is the best model because of the AWD and 4G63 engine. The non turbo models have to deal with a Dodge Neon engine that is very troublesome. As with any car, follow the maintenance schedule religiously and you won't have a problem. I've used synthetic oil since it came home, and I've had no valve issues or oil squirter blockage that causes the 4G63 valve click.

Body that is unique. I have not felt the need to toy with the looks of the car. My 98 had a two tone interior (black with charcoal accents).

Stock hairdryer needs to be upgraded. Strut tower braces to reduce body roll during cornering. 3inch exhaust. The stock infintiy radio has a tendency to blow the stock rear passenger side speaker. The fog lights are impossible to change yourself. Larger brakes.

Poor Man's Porche 911 turbo!
By Shapingo Yama

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

When I bought this car it only had 18000 miles. Yes you read that right eighteen thousand. Glanzmann Subaru got the car from a company in PA that used it as a company car. The car is in excellent condition. Almost new! (The previous owner was a smoker, so that bothers me) no offense smokers. This car has everything, AWD, Turbo, Looks, 17inch rims, good for factory system, power everything. Though I'm not a sunroof fan. This car brings negative attention from the wanna be's though. Great car over all.

AWD, Turbo, Looks, Grip, ability to smoke neons, civics, and other "fast" small cars!

Heavy car "needs a diet" If the forth gen eclipse goes back to turbo and AWD, use the 2.4 liter engine to increase torque