Used 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
1997 eclipse turbo is a great machine
By Bertimus on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought my turbo eclipse with 15K miles and now it has 109K and I've had no problems other than a bad thermostat. Great look, very good power (210HP) and surprisingly reliable and with 29MPG. Interior would be very uncomfortable for tall person. Keep stiff walled tires on it!!!

Best purchase I ever made
By Leichtspeed on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

The second gen is by far the best looking Eclipse, a gorgeous car and a definite headturner, and in GS trim it will get you lots of attention. The 420A motor is reliable and has a lot of potential, but needs modification to realize it. In stock form it is merely adequate, due in part to this car's cumbersome weight. Acceleration is good enough to give you decent passing ability. Handling is very sharp, and the GS/GST/GSX versions have front and rear anti-sway bars. Ride is a bit rough, but it enhances the sporty feel of the car. Seats are comfortable, and the cockpit design wraps around the driver. The hatchback is adequate with the fold down seats.

great car!!!
By EclipseGuy on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

Really great car, love the exterior and the car really handles well in the corners

This Car just falls short...
By quik16 on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

Not only is the power in the GS model a joke, but the handling and body roll are horrible. I got the car a few months ago and I am really dissapointed. The only thing i like about the car is the exterrior design. The interior is uncomfortable and mechanically the car is unsound. If you want a sports car don't get an eclipse. The mercury cougar might be a better choice if you don't want japaneese. Oh yeah,the eclipse was manufactured for Mistsubishi by Chrysler so keep that in mind. It's not an Import.

THE BEST
By LYNNE on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

THIS IS THE 3RD ECLIPSE OWNED IN 10 YEARS.I LOVE THIS CAR AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE.ALL GADGETS ARE LOCATED IN A VERY HANDY PLACE, VERY COMFFY TO DRIVE, VERY DEPENDABLE, VERY FEW REPAIRS (186000 MILES). LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic stuff
By Kenny Leong on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

It's one of the most beautiful looking cars I've ever seen irrespective of the cost. Two thumbs up to the people that came up with this style of car. I just feel great sitting inside one, and the car handles well. The 2 Litre engine idles beautifully, and it's definitely enough to give a bit of zip to the car when you need it. It can be hard to see out the back window and the cabin noise can sometimes be a bit high, but who cares right? It's a sports car afterall. Sometimes you just have to compromise beauty for comfort and practicality. I simply love sitting inside the car, as it is so elegant and not arrogant.

7865495132493
By cooldog on 07/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

its great its the best car ever i think every one should have one its so cool

love my 'clipse
By janelle05 on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

i bought my car mainly because i was in college, had a little money and wanted to get a new car. I have never spent money so well. my car runs, runs well, and even the factory speakers dont sound like factory.

108K and still going
By riiha on 06/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought it new in 97 and 108k miles later I have had to replace the thermostat and that's it. It is just as fun to drive as the day I bought it with the superb handling and jump off the line in the lower gears. Still average around 32 miles per gallon.

Fly GS-T
By vitesse on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

One of the best, if not the best, cars in its class. Fun, style and fast.