Used 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - Consumer Reviews

GSX 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual - (17 reviews )

Great buy
By gwood

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Wow, this car is great! Awd turbo, it's just awesome. Great exterior design, from the bubble spoiler to the stock 17 alloy rims. But they should have designed the cup holders a little better.

definitely the turbo, awd, and the bubble spoiler

Cup holders need to be designed better but other then that, it was the best purchase I have made.

The best $7000 I ever spent
By Luke L

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

It was completely stock a 56 year old owned it, it had 87000 miles on it. I am the second owner! I get 20 mpg usually, LOL I am a lead foot. Make sure you replace your timing / balance shaft belt, tensioners, and water pump every 60k miles with oem parts. I would as a precaution if buying from a dealer go ahead and fork the 350 over to get it put on. The reason I rated the interior design an 8 is because the cup holder is not usable with a 5 spd with a 20 oz bottle. Don't buy ebay aftermarket turbos, get the real mhi evo 3 big 16g, 550cc injectors, walbro 255, apexi afc, and fuel pressure regulator. Set boost to 18psi, and then you will really feel the power. Stock clutch going at 90k

5 speed, Turbo, AWD, Bov! Small back seat gives you the excuse not to give people rides when you don't want to LOL

Better cup holder location, deeper center console.

GSX A Great Car
By GSX

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

We have had this car for a long time and my wife and I both love it. The AWD, low to the ground and powerful engine, all add up to the closest thing to the feel of a true muscle car in this age that I have seen. We bought it mainly because of the safety of AWD and that has paid off as the weather where we live makes control a real concern. This car has been great in that regard. It can be a bit hard on your driving record as you will have a hard time not putting your foot in it. And oh boy, when you do.

AWD, strong reliable motor, reliability, low maintenance.

Can't think of anything other than it would be nice if they rethought the little plastic plugs that hold the panel up when you open the hatch. They tend to wear and fall out.

one long fun ride
By jplgsx

Bought this used in '98. I had no
idea what a great car I had
purchased. AWD and turbo for a
bargain price. I have mintained this
car very well and could not resist
adding some of the modifications
available. I took it out on to the
road racing track and surprised
Corvettes and RX7 turbo cars. This is
a very special car that unfortunately
Mitsubishi no longer makes. The
Evolution 8 is the only thing close.

It has to be the AWD and turbo, but there is so much room under the hatch. This is a great car for road trips - as long as you watch your right foot! It is very easy to find you are going a lot faster than you think you are.

The quality of the leather was very poor. Tanned elephant skin. Changed it out for a full Katskin interior. The front ball joints need to be looked after carefuly. There are some minor faults, but there is nothing like it for the price. I laugh at Porches that cost 100 time what I paid for mine

My Favorite Car
By Ben

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I love this car, this is the perfect
car for someone who wants to learn how
to modify cars. This car is safe, fun,
and reliable. The only bad thing about
this car is that the gas gauge is
wrong. Since it is all-wheel-drive the
gas tank is split in two. So when it
says your on empty and the low fuel
light is on, you actually have 7
gallons left.

My favorite features of this car would have to be the turbo, the all-wheel- drive, and the moon-roof.

Better quality cup holder. Second Eclipse I had with the darn cup holder broken.