1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - Consumer Reviews

GSX 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual - (17 reviews )
Great buy
By gwood on 12/26/09 22:29 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Wow, this car is great! Awd turbo, it's just awesome. Great exterior design, from the bubble spoiler to the stock 17 alloy rims. But they should have designed the cup holders a little better.

The best $7000 I ever spent
By Luke L on 11/08/08 22:44 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

It was completely stock a 56 year old owned it, it had 87000 miles on it. I am the second owner! I get 20 mpg usually, LOL I am a lead foot. Make sure you replace your timing / balance shaft belt, tensioners, and water pump every 60k miles with oem parts. I would as a precaution if buying from a dealer go ahead and fork the 350 over to get it put on. The reason I rated the interior design an 8 is because the cup holder is not usable with a 5 spd with a 20 oz bottle. Don't buy ebay aftermarket turbos, get the real mhi evo 3 big 16g, 550cc injectors, walbro 255, apexi afc, and fuel pressure regulator. Set boost to 18psi, and then you will really feel the power. Stock clutch going at 90k

GSX A Great Car
By GSX on 11/27/07 08:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

We have had this car for a long time and my wife and I both love it. The AWD, low to the ground and powerful engine, all add up to the closest thing to the feel of a true muscle car in this age that I have seen. We bought it mainly because of the safety of AWD and that has paid off as the weather where we live makes control a real concern. This car has been great in that regard. It can be a bit hard on your driving record as you will have a hard time not putting your foot in it. And oh boy, when you do.

one long fun ride
By jplgsx on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Bought this used in '98. I had no idea what a great car I had purchased. AWD and turbo for a bargain price. I have mintained this car very well and could not resist adding some of the modifications available. I took it out on to the road racing track and surprised Corvettes and RX7 turbo cars. This is a very special car that unfortunately Mitsubishi no longer makes. The Evolution 8 is the only thing close.

My Favorite Car
By Ben on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I love this car, this is the perfect car for someone who wants to learn how to modify cars. This car is safe, fun, and reliable. The only bad thing about this car is that the gas gauge is wrong. Since it is all-wheel-drive the gas tank is split in two. So when it says your on empty and the low fuel light is on, you actually have 7 gallons left.

Amazing Car
By Army CPT on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I bought my Eclipse in June of '97 after graduating from college and have never regretted the decision. Great performance from a turbo 4-cylinder and outstanding winter handling by the AWD. Unfortunately, I'm selling it this fall to upgrade to a more family oriented vehicle. It's too bad that Mitsubishi stopped making Turbos.

Uphill monster
By Sideburns McGee on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I was lucky enough to buy a used GSX with amazingly low miles. After just a few drives, I can see why the car's 4G63 engine is so revered. The car excels at uphill climbs and high speed maneuvering. Sadly, at low speeds it turns like a boat due to its drivetrain.

I eat V ATE(8) MY DUST
By GSXRATED on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I spent over 1 year finding my 97 GSX. This is the 2nd GSX that i have owned and i like this one much better.(1ST Eclipse was a 1991) This is a high maintenance vehicle. You must change oil and all other fluids as specified in the owners manual. My car has 46000 miles on it now and runs GREAT!!!! I have many bolt on mods INJEN AIR INTAKE, 1ST GEN BOV, UPPER INTERCOOLER PIPE, GREDDY PROFEC B BOOST CONTROLLER, AUTOMETER GUAGES AND POD, 3IN MANIFOLD BACK EXHAUST, DENSO IRIDIUM PLUGS, JACOBS WIRES ETC... Beware modding your car gets very addicting. I eat up Mustangs, Camaros, VW's, Hondas etc.

1997 Eclipse GSX
By 97GSX Owner on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I bought this car brand new in 1997. In stock form, performs very good and it's fun to drive. After all this years I still love it and don't plan on selling it. The AWD system means a lot of grip. I have driven this car so hard for 96K miles and the engine is still running very strong and no oil consumption. I am impressed by that. No problems with anything, except that that turbo went under 72K but it was replaced under warranty . Everything else ... no problems!

FAST !!!!
By assubanipal on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

This is a great car ... I really enjoyed it ... drove up and down the mountains in Colorado in every type of snow conditions. Never got stuck believe it or not. There is so much power on those 4 tires, it's amazing. Ended up plowing the snow off the road when it got over 7 inches.