Used 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T

GS-T 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (19 reviews )

One check engine light after another!
By purplewolf617

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This the worst car I ever owned! It was fun to drive but every month it had one check engine light after another. Within 3 moths after buying the car I had to put 3 alternator belts,starter & an alternator in it! The rear defrosters stopped working & I had to shake the radio to start it. Then the windows stopped working. My dad bought one & the radiator was leaking water & over heated as soon as we left the dealership!

Lord of Lemons
By bryan43

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car yesterday, and on the way home the clutch decided to lock up and so i could not get it home. Had to tow it. Then when accelerating on to the freeway, when ever the turbo gauge would go to the top it was exactly like the car had a rev limiter, it would continue at the same speed but, would not go any faster. Turbo didn't "whine" like it is supposed to. I don't know what happened with this car but I'm disappointed with the car in general. Going to look at the next model eclipses.

My 1997 GS-T
By dan

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car at 117,000. In just over a year and a half it's at 142,000. At 142,000, the factory turbo is still working just fine. Just make sure you don't miss the regular oil changes and keep up with your maintenance and the car will continue to work well for you. At 10 years old, there is no rust and everything works. Overall a great car, though keep in mind that with a turbo your maintenance is higher because so much of the engine bay is used up making it harder to remove and get to necessary parts.

Favorite Features

Turbo of course, low profile, color (red), spoiler, fascia, 46g3 engine.

Suggested Improvements

AWD should have been standard on this car considering the turbo. Too much horsepower for a 2WD, not that I'm complaining (oversteer is too much at times), not great in rain or snow, however keeping it in 1st or 2nd keeps it under control. Stronger headlights, stiffer suspension.

Mutsubishi Eclipse - Best Car
By Bernier65

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is the best car that I have ever had in my 37 years. It's fast, comfortable, and gets pretty good gas mileage. The price is also great.

Favorite Features

The 2.0 DHOC turbo engine.

Suggested Improvements

I like the way it is and would not change a thing!

Fun, fast, and reliable.
By Danielle GS-T

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Great gas mileage, very reliable, fun to drive. The clutch had to be replaced, but that was after about 5 years.

Favorite Features

Turbo. I would not drive a non-turbo model. I also enjoy the larger spoiler. The sunroof, alloy wheels, and mpg's alone were worth the extra cash for the turbo model.