1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T - Consumer Reviews

GS-T 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (19 reviews )
One check engine light after another!
By purplewolf617 on 05/31/13 17:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This the worst car I ever owned! It was fun to drive but every month it had one check engine light after another. Within 3 moths after buying the car I had to put 3 alternator belts,starter & an alternator in it! The rear defrosters stopped working & I had to shake the radio to start it. Then the windows stopped working. My dad bought one & the radiator was leaking water & over heated as soon as we left the dealership!

Lord of Lemons
By bryan43 on 08/19/12 07:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car yesterday, and on the way home the clutch decided to lock up and so i could not get it home. Had to tow it. Then when accelerating on to the freeway, when ever the turbo gauge would go to the top it was exactly like the car had a rev limiter, it would continue at the same speed but, would not go any faster. Turbo didn't "whine" like it is supposed to. I don't know what happened with this car but I'm disappointed with the car in general. Going to look at the next model eclipses.

My 1997 GS-T
By dan on 06/27/07 08:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car at 117,000. In just over a year and a half it's at 142,000. At 142,000, the factory turbo is still working just fine. Just make sure you don't miss the regular oil changes and keep up with your maintenance and the car will continue to work well for you. At 10 years old, there is no rust and everything works. Overall a great car, though keep in mind that with a turbo your maintenance is higher because so much of the engine bay is used up making it harder to remove and get to necessary parts.

Mutsubishi Eclipse - Best Car
By Bernier65 on 05/09/06 13:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is the best car that I have ever had in my 37 years. It's fast, comfortable, and gets pretty good gas mileage. The price is also great.

Fun, fast, and reliable.
By Danielle GS-T on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Great gas mileage, very reliable, fun to drive. The clutch had to be replaced, but that was after about 5 years.

Rock-solid turbo engine with beauty
By dan chi on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

1. Rock solid turbocharged engine makes for a happy drive every day. Stuck behind a slow truck going 20mph when traffic is zipping by at 45mph? No problem, punch it in first gear and slam it into second and you'll start passing those cars going 45 in just a couple of seconds. :-) Big smile. 2. This car is so reliable it's amazing. I was always under the impression that these cars were not that reliable before I got one. Now I think differently. Much love to this engine designed by mitusibishi. 4. Go get one. Just make sure it's been treated properly and the timing belt has been changed or else suffer expensive repairs.

fun fast car
By mraley31 on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

this is a great car! I bought it used and it is still running great with over 100k. there is not much room inside for passangers so if you want a car your friends wont beg you to drive this is great. the only thing i dont like is that there is no traction in first gear. other than that great fun fast car.

great car
By blue rh on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

the car is fast fun and reliable. the only thing that is poor is the blind spots in the car. lots of torque steer but thats ok

The best import
By Peterr on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Fastest car i have ever driven, turbo goes at about 60 thousand miles and timing belt too, needs to be changed after that the car will perform almost new and stays or beats almost any new cars out there.

Great Car
By Lior on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Fun To Drive Handles great.. awesome speend you will smoke most cars on the street with this car