Used 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

One check engine light after another!
By purplewolf617

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This the worst car I ever owned! It was fun to drive but every month it had one check engine light after another. Within 3 moths after buying the car I had to put 3 alternator belts,starter & an alternator in it! The rear defrosters stopped working & I had to shake the radio to start it. Then the windows stopped working. My dad bought one & the radiator was leaking water & over heated as soon as we left the dealership!

Lord of Lemons
By bryan43

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car yesterday, and on the way home the clutch decided to lock up and so i could not get it home. Had to tow it. Then when accelerating on to the freeway, when ever the turbo gauge would go to the top it was exactly like the car had a rev limiter, it would continue at the same speed but, would not go any faster. Turbo didn't "whine" like it is supposed to. I don't know what happened with this car but I'm disappointed with the car in general. Going to look at the next model eclipses.

Beautiful car and very fun to drive
By moore11

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I brought this car with only about 110,000 miles and the only thing I had to replace was a valve cover gasket. The power on the car is ok just enough for passing. With the amount of performance parts out there, theirs a lot of potential for the 420A. It really shines in handling. The low stance makes it fun to drive when going around sharp corners or mountain passes. The cabin noise is a tiny bit loud, but it is a sports car so you can expect that. The outside is just simply amazing to look at. I fell in love with it once I seen it.

I love the outside, the superb handling, the sun roof, and the noise you get from the engine. Little back seat room so you really wont have to worry about driving people around a lot.

I'm a tuner so I would suggest a cold or short ram intake if you want a bit more power and don't mind a little noise. A good exhaust and header combo. Also a nice strut bar set up. Theres a lot of parts out there for good prices, with a little bit of money this machine can be a improved.

Great buy
By gwood

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Wow, this car is great! Awd turbo, it's just awesome. Great exterior design, from the bubble spoiler to the stock 17 alloy rims. But they should have designed the cup holders a little better.

definitely the turbo, awd, and the bubble spoiler

Cup holders need to be designed better but other then that, it was the best purchase I have made.

The best $7000 I ever spent
By Luke L

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

It was completely stock a 56 year old owned it, it had 87000 miles on it. I am the second owner! I get 20 mpg usually, LOL I am a lead foot. Make sure you replace your timing / balance shaft belt, tensioners, and water pump every 60k miles with oem parts. I would as a precaution if buying from a dealer go ahead and fork the 350 over to get it put on. The reason I rated the interior design an 8 is because the cup holder is not usable with a 5 spd with a 20 oz bottle. Don't buy ebay aftermarket turbos, get the real mhi evo 3 big 16g, 550cc injectors, walbro 255, apexi afc, and fuel pressure regulator. Set boost to 18psi, and then you will really feel the power. Stock clutch going at 90k

5 speed, Turbo, AWD, Bov! Small back seat gives you the excuse not to give people rides when you don't want to LOL

Better cup holder location, deeper center console.