1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
One check engine light after another!
By purplewolf617 on 05/31/13 17:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This the worst car I ever owned! It was fun to drive but every month it had one check engine light after another. Within 3 moths after buying the car I had to put 3 alternator belts,starter & an alternator in it! The rear defrosters stopped working & I had to shake the radio to start it. Then the windows stopped working. My dad bought one & the radiator was leaking water & over heated as soon as we left the dealership!

Lord of Lemons
By bryan43 on 08/19/12 07:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car yesterday, and on the way home the clutch decided to lock up and so i could not get it home. Had to tow it. Then when accelerating on to the freeway, when ever the turbo gauge would go to the top it was exactly like the car had a rev limiter, it would continue at the same speed but, would not go any faster. Turbo didn't "whine" like it is supposed to. I don't know what happened with this car but I'm disappointed with the car in general. Going to look at the next model eclipses.

Beautiful car and very fun to drive
By moore11 on 01/06/10 12:43 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I brought this car with only about 110,000 miles and the only thing I had to replace was a valve cover gasket. The power on the car is ok just enough for passing. With the amount of performance parts out there, theirs a lot of potential for the 420A. It really shines in handling. The low stance makes it fun to drive when going around sharp corners or mountain passes. The cabin noise is a tiny bit loud, but it is a sports car so you can expect that. The outside is just simply amazing to look at. I fell in love with it once I seen it.

Great buy
By gwood on 12/26/09 22:29 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Wow, this car is great! Awd turbo, it's just awesome. Great exterior design, from the bubble spoiler to the stock 17 alloy rims. But they should have designed the cup holders a little better.

The best $7000 I ever spent
By Luke L on 11/08/08 22:44 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

It was completely stock a 56 year old owned it, it had 87000 miles on it. I am the second owner! I get 20 mpg usually, LOL I am a lead foot. Make sure you replace your timing / balance shaft belt, tensioners, and water pump every 60k miles with oem parts. I would as a precaution if buying from a dealer go ahead and fork the 350 over to get it put on. The reason I rated the interior design an 8 is because the cup holder is not usable with a 5 spd with a 20 oz bottle. Don't buy ebay aftermarket turbos, get the real mhi evo 3 big 16g, 550cc injectors, walbro 255, apexi afc, and fuel pressure regulator. Set boost to 18psi, and then you will really feel the power. Stock clutch going at 90k

GSX A Great Car
By GSX on 11/27/07 08:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

We have had this car for a long time and my wife and I both love it. The AWD, low to the ground and powerful engine, all add up to the closest thing to the feel of a true muscle car in this age that I have seen. We bought it mainly because of the safety of AWD and that has paid off as the weather where we live makes control a real concern. This car has been great in that regard. It can be a bit hard on your driving record as you will have a hard time not putting your foot in it. And oh boy, when you do.

My 1997 GS-T
By dan on 06/27/07 08:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car at 117,000. In just over a year and a half it's at 142,000. At 142,000, the factory turbo is still working just fine. Just make sure you don't miss the regular oil changes and keep up with your maintenance and the car will continue to work well for you. At 10 years old, there is no rust and everything works. Overall a great car, though keep in mind that with a turbo your maintenance is higher because so much of the engine bay is used up making it harder to remove and get to necessary parts.

Mutsubishi Eclipse - Best Car
By Bernier65 on 05/09/06 13:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is the best car that I have ever had in my 37 years. It's fast, comfortable, and gets pretty good gas mileage. The price is also great.

You're gonna like it.
By aLzA~ on 04/25/06 18:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I have owned my Eclipse almost 2 years now. This car is really good and fun to drive. I use it for everyday driving so don't be afraid to do so youeself.

one long fun ride
By jplgsx on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Bought this used in '98. I had no idea what a great car I had purchased. AWD and turbo for a bargain price. I have mintained this car very well and could not resist adding some of the modifications available. I took it out on to the road racing track and surprised Corvettes and RX7 turbo cars. This is a very special car that unfortunately Mitsubishi no longer makes. The Evolution 8 is the only thing close.