1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
My 96 Eclipse
By 96eclipse on 02/01/13 18:17 PM (PST)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I got my car just over 2 years ago,it had just over 113,000 miles on it.I now have 129,800 on it and it runs perfectly.I don't know why people say the millage is ok,I think its wonderful I'm getting 28 in town and 36 on the Highway.I also realized by adding a bit of methanol to the fuel I get another 5 miles to the gallon. My 96 is as economic as any of these newer cars,and bigger too.And only has a 2.0 liter motor.The key to millage is a good cold air intake!Also a good Cat back exhaust system.

Good car
By gtsxtt on 01/09/10 23:55 PM (PST)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My eclipse was a very good car to me all i have to do is keep gas in it and change the oil and it will run. The only problems i encountered were the oil pan gasket leaking. the door handles broke off and then my alternator went out on me. On my way up a hill the little clip holding my shift cables popped out and i got stuck in 2nd. I fixed it and drove it another 20,000 miles still going with 213,000 and more to come.

Eh..
By ryanr on 05/07/09 14:08 PM (PDT)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this 3 years ago, after a nice woman wrecked my last car for me by driving into the front of me. Yes, it looks amazing, the design is sleek and smooth and definitely the best year for the Eclipse. 5 Speed non-turbo 2.0L DOHC is okay. 140hp FWD.. as mentioned in plenty of reviews, the rotors are horrendous. I have so much shaking I cannot stand it right now. I must have bought this at a horrible time in the life of the car (about 89,000 miles) as CV axles, lower control arms (as well as the tires the axles and arms ate through) ate me alive at about 100,000. It can get out of its own way, but not really anyone else's. Gas mileage is only okay for I-4. A good get-to-work or schooler.

Fun Long Lasting Durable Vehicle
By Juan St Charles on 10/19/07 18:44 PM (PDT)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

My Eclipse is an RS with the 2 liter 420A engine, 5 speed, A/C, manual windows, and rear defroster. The 420A (2.0) non-turbo engine sounds good, performs excellent, and gets good mileage. Vehicle is cool looking and fun to drive. Make sure maintainence was performed every 30K mi including the timing belt at every 60K mi. Mine has been very reliable with minimal cost to operate.

Good Commuter Car
By mike on 12/26/06 20:03 PM (PST)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2dr Hatchback

My wife bought this car new in '96 and it has been seeing less use through the years (only 71000 miles), but still runs strong and is very reliable. It gets excellent gas mileage.

Fun to Drive, Very Very Fuel Efficient
By spinhill on 06/20/06 00:36 AM (PDT)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I got an Eclipse RS from a guy from Chicago who considerd the insurance in Toronto to be insane. The exterior of the car is in satisfactory condition and I accepted the price of $5,000 CAD. However, I had to get the safety test done myself which cost me about $350 CAD. The door lock on the driver's side must be changed and it needs a new day time runing light control system installed to comply with the Canadian traffic regulations. Otherwise, the car is in good shape, according to my mechanic.

Fast Car That Takes Money Even Faster...
By Tyler V on 01/20/06 19:09 PM (PST)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

Well I just had bought my 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse only a month earlier and all the sudden a white mist starts coming out of the air vents and it fogs up like you wouldn't believe. I come to find out it has a bad heater core and it's $800 to fix because it's embedded in the dash. That wasn't fun at all. Although the car stinks to fix up, it is one heck of a sports car. It is easy to customize to your liking and I like most of the stock features. It is quite speedy for a 5-speed 4-cyl. vehicle, but I always have the fear that if i go too fast something is going to happen to a head gasket or the engine is going to over heat. Overall I would say it is a fun car but you better be ready to pay to fix a lot of stuff.

Beware the Eclipse
By thabeazer on 10/29/05 22:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse as an upgrade to a 1990 Toyota Tercel. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but was a huge mistake. First the alternator went; then when dealership replaced alternator, they left serpentine pulleys 1/4" off mark. Belts would then pop off and shred every 3 months for over 2 years (my personal mechanic finally fixed the issue). The casing for the exterior mirror adjusters broke next. Then, one month ago, the exterior driver's door handle broke. A month after that, the same thing happened on the passenger side. All along, I've had had an issue with the idle dropping out and the car stalling when the brakes were used during damp or wet weather. Car should have been fun to drive, but was a piece of junk!

I love this car
By Cody Trimm on 07/06/05 21:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I am in love with this car with the way it looks to the way it drives to the way it is completely customizable! its an overall great car for anyone

Almost 200,000 miles
By Almost 200,000 miles on 05/04/05 17:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I currently have 198,000 miles on my GST, mostly freeway driving. Overall, I had good experience with the car. I went through 4 sets of tires and changed & resurfaced the front brakes 4 times. Lots of oil changes. The front rotors do get wrapped easily. Major expense was replacing the manual transmission and clutch at 140K. Recently, my car developed another problem. It stalls when the engine is hot and cannot be restarted until the engine cools off. Thus, I have to tow it for repairs. I am hoping that it is nothing major.