Used 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

My 96 Eclipse
By 96eclipse

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I got my car just over 2 years ago,it had just over 113,000 miles on it.I now have 129,800 on it and it runs perfectly.I don't know why people say the millage is ok,I think its wonderful I'm getting 28 in town and 36 on the Highway.I also realized by adding a bit of methanol to the fuel I get another 5 miles to the gallon.
My 96 is as economic as any of these newer cars,and bigger too.And only has a 2.0 liter motor.The key to millage is a good cold air intake!Also a good Cat back exhaust system.

Wide open interior,the outside design,how it handles the curves,and my favorite the Sun roof.

More cup holders,a second Cigarette lighter in the rear,Factory dark tint.

Good car
By gtsxtt

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My eclipse was a very good car to me all i have to do is keep gas in it and change the oil and it will run. The only problems i encountered were the oil pan gasket leaking. the door handles broke off and then my alternator went out on me. On my way up a hill the little clip holding my shift cables popped out and i got stuck in 2nd. I fixed it and drove it another 20,000 miles still going with 213,000 and more to come.

Turbo, 2 door, sounds great, reliable.

Ditch the timing belt for a chain. Equip it with REAL 2WD not just the front right tire.

Eh..
By ryanr

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this 3 years ago, after a nice woman wrecked my last car for me by driving into the front of me. Yes, it looks amazing, the design is sleek and smooth and definitely the best year for the Eclipse. 5 Speed non-turbo 2.0L DOHC is okay. 140hp FWD.. as mentioned in plenty of reviews, the rotors are horrendous. I have so much shaking I cannot stand it right now. I must have bought this at a horrible time in the life of the car (about 89,000 miles) as CV axles, lower control arms (as well as the tires the axles and arms ate through) ate me alive at about 100,000. It can get out of its own way, but not really anyone else's. Gas mileage is only okay for I-4. A good get-to-work or schooler.

Body, decent stock audio system, handling is not bad for a FWD, good top speed.

Brakes, seat comfort (front AND back), overall ergonomics, overall reliability (stupid mopar/chrysler/dodge garbage).

Fun Long Lasting Durable Vehicle
By Juan St Charles

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

My Eclipse is an RS with the 2 liter 420A engine, 5 speed, A/C, manual windows, and rear defroster. The 420A (2.0) non-turbo engine sounds good, performs excellent, and gets good mileage. Vehicle is cool looking and fun to drive. Make sure maintainence was performed every 30K mi including the timing belt at every 60K mi. Mine has been very reliable with minimal cost to operate.

The A/C comes on strong and blows cold. The engine sounds good in the higher RPM range. The shifter is rally car precise. The seats have height and tilt adjustments for the perfect driving position.

At 138k miles the rear main seal of the engine began to leak. The culprit I was told was that the EGR valve was designed too small on these engines, which built engine pressure up enough to blow the seal. My Eclipse was always maintained timely and properly.

Good Commuter Car
By mike

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2dr Hatchback

My wife bought this car new in '96 and it has been seeing less use through the years (only 71000 miles), but still runs strong and is very reliable. It gets excellent gas mileage.

The styling looks better than the new ones to me.

The cabin is very small, especially if you are over 6 feet tall. The power sunroof takes away from much needed headroom.