Used 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Super fun...10% of the time
By broomfast

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I fell in love with this car when I was 11. It looks so good! So I bought one and it is really fun to drive. Not too slow, awesome handling...when it's running. I have owned this for 3 months and drive lightly. It has literally spent more time broken than fixed. All of the engine/cooling components are cheap, not very well put together and need replacing evey 60,000 miles. You basically have to buy a new car at 120,000 miles (which is right when I purchased mine). I have bought mine twice already and it is currently sitting in my driveway waiting for me to flush the cooling system and find out why I'm overheating.

Favorite Features

I love the handling. It can hold a steep curve at really high speeds. I also love the looks

Suggested Improvements

Just make more durable parts.

Would buy another - if I could find one!
By Kat

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this Eclipse a little over a year ago and loved it to death. It had 115K on it with 14K on a rebuilt engine and I did not have any problems with it whatsoever. I brought the miles up to 128k and could tell this car had a LOT of life left in it if it wasn't for a truck plowing into it and totaling it! The seats were very comfortable (back seat space is limited, but the seats are so cushy!), very large trunk, sporty but cute exterior design, and good gas mileage (close to 400/tank with mostly highway miles). Only downsides were that U-turns were a little difficult, a somewhat large blind spot on the side, and the shift knob came very close to the CD deck which was annoying.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating, fun to drive (5 speed a must!), very reliable, trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Ability to change CDs while in 1st, 3rd, or 5th gear would be nice, sturdier cup-holder, better turn radius.

A Very Reliable Girl
By Deb

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback

I absolutely LOVE this car! I bought this car in 1997 when it had 36,000 miles on it. It now has 192,000 and still starts right up even on the coldest of days. Besides routine maintenance, I have never had to dump any money into this girl. Unfortunately, the Northeastern winters have taken their toll on the body, as it now has extensive rust damage on the undercarriage, including a significant hole in the exhaust...but she is STILL going! As I face the inevitable and begin shopping for a newer car, I will grieve the loss of this old friend.

Favorite Features

Dependability, exterior design and overall fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

A roomier back seat area and more cup holders.

Best car ever!
By escr-12

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for about a year and it is the best car I have ever owned stock. The eclipse is a great car, but the best thing is that it is a super car on the track or anywhere. Best car ever! Really. No problems with it ever.!

Favorite Features

420a motor stylish look easy to mod great overall car

Suggested Improvements

The under hood setup could have been thought out better for Mitsubishi. Would have been cool if mivec had something to do with it.

Have Money?
By rexall_addict

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for the simple fact of how beautiful it is. BIG MISTAKE! I bought the car at 145,000 miles, and like every other Eclipse after "Fast & Furious" came out, some kid had it and ran the crud out of it. Its suspension is BAD, its engine is BAD, its fuel system is BAD, and the service / parts are EXPENSIVE if you go to the dealer. Also, if you tell the dealer that the parts you bought aren't lasting as long as their warranty says it should, they actually cuss at you. I was called a LAZY bum when I told them my ball-joints lasted less than two years, (20,000 mi). Do not buy this car unless you have a lot of money to throw around!

Favorite Features

The sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a new engine, suspension, fuel system, transmission, wheels, brakes, and electrical system, Fix the hatch hydrolics and replace the bulbs as soon as you get it.