Used 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Super fun...10% of the time
By broomfast

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I fell in love with this car when I was 11. It looks so good! So I bought one and it is really fun to drive. Not too slow, awesome handling...when it's running. I have owned this for 3 months and drive lightly. It has literally spent more time broken than
fixed. All of the engine/cooling components are cheap, not very well put together and need replacing evey 60,000 miles. You basically have to buy a new car at 120,000 miles (which is right when I purchased mine). I have bought mine twice already and it is currently sitting in my driveway waiting for me to flush the cooling system and find out why I'm overheating.

I love the handling. It can hold a steep curve at really high speeds. I also love the looks

Just make more durable parts.

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
By eclipse4g63

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had my car for a month. I got it from my uncle who bought if from an auction, so I have no idea what it's history is. But I do know that it was originally bought in NC (I'm in MI)...explains most of the 142k miles on it.

Sometimes it won't shift into reverse or first gear, and it takes two or three tries to cold start the car. I believe that the charcoal gray paint is not the original, and the coilover springs that were left on it make for too harsh of a ride. But other than that, I love the car.

The car picks up and pulls pretty quickly. The turbo takes a sec to spool but once it does, it's a very fast car for a 4cyl. The BOV sounds amazing (equivalent to the sound of air brakes)

Sound of turbo, sound of BOV, transmission shifts good except for those random times it won't shift into first and reverse.

Moving the placement of the gearshift back so that my huge hands won't keep hitting the radio with each shift into 1st, 3rd, and especially 5th. Probably would have suited the car best to fit it with a 4G63T from the Evo.

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
By japanesewerkz

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This model is most wanted model, but the engine, tranny, and car in general were just the worst. At first this car ran great, got decent fuel economy, good shifts, and a beautiful BOV sound from the turbo. Then came an easy winter and this car fell apart on me. :( I took very good care of it. Religious oil changes, new coolant, tranny fluid, filters the regular stuff. I even bought an Apexi N1 exhaust for this car. Made it sound so sweet. The car went through highways mostly and one day the check engine light appeared. Oxygen sensor was my thinking ona 125k car. Changed them and it went away. Day later the alternator and suspension itself broke. Not even TLC will keep this car alive.

TURBO baby! Sexy shape! People will get jealous quick. lol. Great aftermarket parts. Lots of forums for this model. Possibly the sexiest and best eclipse by Mitsubishi. Great handling. Quick car.

Fix everything. Door handles will fall off. Suspension parts are worser than a KIA. Better engine that does not crankwalk. Better tranny. Fix trunk locks. Fuel dosent always show correct info. Smallest back seat ever built in a hatchback. Locks dont lock?!? Engine components lack the word reliablity. Worst tranny on a turbocharged car. Fix some rust issues up. Power windows lock up themselves. Power mirrors are a joke. Oil leaks even from a well maintained car. Paint sucks and chips. Spoiler fades color and has no way of being fixed but other than by being repainted. 6ft friend cant even sit in front seat. Cruise control was worst I have seen.

Would buy another - if I could find one!
By Kat

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this Eclipse a little over a year ago and loved it to death. It had 115K on it with 14K on a rebuilt engine and I did not have any problems with it whatsoever. I brought the miles up to 128k and could tell this car had a LOT of life left in it if it wasn't for a truck plowing into it and totaling it! The seats were very comfortable (back seat space is limited, but the seats are so cushy!), very large trunk, sporty but cute exterior design, and good gas mileage (close to 400/tank with mostly highway miles). Only downsides were that U-turns were a little difficult, a somewhat large blind spot on the side, and the shift knob came very close to the CD deck which was annoying.

Comfortable seating, fun to drive (5 speed a must!), very reliable, trunk space.

Ability to change CDs while in 1st, 3rd, or 5th gear would be nice, sturdier cup-holder, better turn radius.

A Very Reliable Girl
By Deb

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I absolutely LOVE this car! I bought this car in 1997 when it had 36,000 miles on it. It now has 192,000 and still starts right up even on the coldest of days. Besides routine maintenance, I have never had to dump any money into this girl. Unfortunately, the Northeastern winters have taken their toll on the body, as it now has extensive rust damage on the undercarriage, including a significant hole in the exhaust...but she is STILL going! As I face the inevitable and begin shopping for a newer car, I will grieve the loss of this old friend.

Dependability, exterior design and overall fun to drive.

A roomier back seat area and more cup holders.