Used 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Ah, DSM "power" and "reliability"
By CaffeineTripp

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Well, the DSM has given me some problems, but then again, I did buy it with 134,000 miles on the engine and transmission. The previous owner babied the car, which was excellent! The exterior styling is very well done, especially for early nineties. Even today, the style stands out, there is no second guessing that this vehicle is an Eclipse. The power for the 1.8L is not peak for the DSM engines, however, there are some free modifications and "cheap" aftermarket parts that someone may be able to install creating more horsepower and torque. The reliability for the DSM 1.8L is much greater than it's brothers the 2.0L and 2.0L turbo, however, it is DSM built, be warned. The ride is excellent!

Favorite Features

The good gas mileage, the "sleeperness" of the 1.8L when mildly modded. The exterior and interior styling. The free modifications that can be done to the 1.8L DSM and all DSMs.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the long-haul comfort. The bucket seats in the Eclipse are not the best out there. They are quite uncomfortable, however, tossing a pillow behind your back as lumbar support will help. The 1.8L could use more HP, but that would make it a 2.0L and more unreliable.

Fantastic Car!
By Hollywood

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for 12 years and it's still going strong! It still looks sharp and still hums! It has given me no trouble whatsoever. I recommend purchasing a Mitsubishi. They are designed well and work perfectly! Give them a try!

Favorite Features

It looks spectacular! Its interior reminds me of an airplane cockpit!

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of anything!

Often Repaired
By LaraCroft

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car used and I think it may have been abused as a child. It has ALWAYS had alignment problems and a significant rear main seal leak. I haven't yet gone 6 months in a row without it being in the shop. Also, very little horsepower. Difficult when you live in a hilly area or have to drive through mountains regularly. Interior fell apart after 100K.

Favorite Features

Great mileage, nice sporty look, good handling.

Suggested Improvements

Lack of reliability should be addressed, needs more head room, needs cup holder, better interior.