1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
My trusty Eclipse GS
By oldschool1983 on 05/19/12 13:42 PM (PDT)

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2.0 2dr Hatchback

It has been 19 years since I bought my bright white GS and it has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. That is saying a lot. I am not overly hard on my cars, maintain them as needed. The build quality of this car was evident from the day I bought it. Very easy to drive and maintain. Cruises at 70mph just below 2000RPM all day. Even at 215,000 miles, it is a great car to drive everyday. All original engine and transmission components still working fine. Home run car.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse 1.8 liter
By Owner on 09/26/09 13:00 PM (PDT)

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I got my car with 253000 miles. I got it with the cv axle broken and had to replace it and the engine mounts. But when I got these small problems fixed it's kinda reliable. One of my problems has been with the mass air flow sensor. Overall it gets me the sixty miles a day I have to go. I'm happy with my purchase and I may buy another with a bigger engine because I love the look of this car.

Dependable and fun
By Accountant on 04/25/08 12:19 PM (PDT)

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 87k on it, now it has 187k. My only major repairs have been a new alternator and new brakes, as well as the normal timing belts etc. Showing its age now: incurable oil leak, A/C has leak, heater takes forever to pump out warmth, seats falling apart. Lots of fun to drive. I get around 35 mpg, mostly highway (where have car makers been the last 15 years if my ancient car gets better mileage than new ones?!). That said, I won't let my 20- year-old kid drive it: HORRIBLE blind spots, dim headlights and freezing in winter. Plus, at 6', he hardly fits in it. Also the engine is a little underpowered when the AC is on, especially on start-up on hills. The back seat is a joke.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse
By Petey P. Faff on 06/23/07 20:34 PM (PDT)

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

The 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse is an OK vehicle if you have at least a 2.0 liter engine. The 1.8 liter, which puts out a whopping 92 horsepower, doesn't have enough power to make it up a hill, if you have an automatic transmission. The cooling system is good. The interior plastic trim panels are very cheap and don't hold their designated spot for very long.

Sexiest Car Around
By amber on 07/27/06 01:47 AM (PDT)

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My '93 Eclipse is the best car that I have ever had. There was just one thing that was wrong with it and that was the spare tire was too small. Other than that, the car is so cool. It's fast and I look good in it.

1993 Eclipse
By Amanda Faylen on 11/06/05 18:07 PM (PST)

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2.0 2dr Hatchback

I got my Eclipse as my first car, and it has never died on me. I had a lot of work done to it when I first got it, but now she runs, and accelerates when I need it to. It seems to be impervious to tickets.

A great sports car
By Diogo on 06/10/05 15:41 PM (PDT)

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I got this car back in 2002 with 128,000 miles or so. When I got it the car had had so much abuse that I wondered if I had made a good choice. Nevertheless I had some work done on it (the timing belt at 140,000 miles was crucial as I was told it was never changed before) and the car is doing great. A few more things need some work (like the front axle needing replacement) but I still get 30 mpg on the highway and about 25 in town.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse
By Blue From VB on 04/07/05 11:44 AM (PDT)

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Don't get me wrong on this car, it is a sports car! However, this is one of the poorest made Japanese cars I have ever owned (it's a runner-up to it's bigger brother '93 3000GT which I also owned). When it ran, it ran fine then the bugs came out. The car had an usual oil leak that leaked into the engine (something to do with the seals) so no oil was present on the ground couldn't figure out what was going on with it. Idiot lights were continuously cutting on and it wasn't because of faulty fuses, there were many electrical and mechanical bugs in this car. It was asthetically pleasing to look at, but not just in the driveway. My '90 300ZX was far better than both the Eclipse and 3000GT.

great car
By edaw on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2.0 2dr Hatchback

This is a great car. I have one and my parents do too. If you are about to buy one make sure that the timing belt has been changed every 60,000 miles. If the belt breaks the engine dies. Another common problem is with the idle control on the AIS motor. Both my car and my parents have had this problem. Other than that, I haven't had any problems since I bought mine used in 1997. This vintage (92-94) is the best looking of the diamond star cars. I get 26 mpg. If you want a truly fast car go with a turbo but good luck finding a car this old that is a turbo that is in good shape. have fun

Great Car
By Angus Law on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2.0 2dr Hatchback

I have been driven this car for about a year. And now it got 120500 miles on it. The 4G63 engine is strong. Since the car is 11 years old, its parts began to break down... like engine mounts and drive axles... Anyway, I still like this car.