Used 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

My trusty Eclipse GS
By oldschool1983

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0 2dr Hatchback

It has been 19 years since I bought my bright white GS and it has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. That is saying a lot. I am not overly hard on my cars, maintain them as needed. The build quality of this car was evident from the day I bought it. Very easy to drive and maintain. Cruises at 70mph just below 2000RPM all day. Even at 215,000 miles, it is a great car to drive everyday. All original engine and transmission components still working fine. Home run car.

I loved the wrap-around dash, easy shifting 5-speed, great gas mileage, reliability.

The power antenna gets a work out every time the car is started and shut off. A built in to the glass antenna would be better.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse 1.8 liter
By Owner

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2dr Hatchback

I got my car with 253000 miles. I got it with the cv axle broken and had to replace it and the engine mounts. But when I got these small problems fixed it's kinda reliable. One of my problems has been with the mass air flow sensor. Overall it gets me the sixty miles a day I have to go. I'm happy with my purchase and I may buy another with a bigger engine because I love the look of this car.

More power. Stronger headlights. And most of all more power.

Dependable and fun
By Accountant

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 87k on it, now it has 187k. My only major repairs have been a new alternator and new brakes, as well as the normal timing belts etc. Showing its age now: incurable oil leak, A/C has leak, heater takes forever to pump out warmth, seats falling apart. Lots of fun to drive. I get around 35 mpg, mostly highway (where have car makers been the last 15 years if my ancient car gets better mileage than new ones?!). That said, I won't let my 20- year-old kid drive it: HORRIBLE blind spots, dim headlights and freezing in winter. Plus, at 6', he hardly fits in it. Also the engine is a little underpowered when the AC is on, especially on start-up on hills. The back seat is a joke.

Smooth handling, reliability, economy, decent power, nimble and fun to drive.

Brighter headlights, better visibility (still a complaint about the 2008s), bigger backseat, better heater, tighter turn circle.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse
By Petey P. Faff

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2dr Hatchback

The 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse is an OK vehicle if you have at least a 2.0 liter engine. The 1.8 liter, which puts out a whopping 92 horsepower, doesn't have enough power to make it up a hill, if you have an automatic transmission. The cooling system is good. The interior plastic trim panels are very cheap and don't hold their designated spot for very long.

The electronic seat belts are a good idea sense wearing a seat belt is starting to become a law.

Instrument cluster shouldn't show 145 mph for a 1.8 liter because it is teasing the driver. There should have been carpet on the side walls in the back hatch so that when you put metal in the back, it doesn't scratch up the cheap plastic. Bigger engine!!

Sexiest Car Around
By amber

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My '93 Eclipse is the best car that I have ever had. There was just one thing that was wrong with it and that was the spare tire was too small. Other than that, the car is so cool. It's fast and I look good in it.

I love the front of the car, it just looks so mean.

The head lights need to be glass because on my car they are plastic and it is hard to get them clear again.