1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
Great car
By righttime on 01/30/10 12:16 PM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Owned the car for 10 years and replaced the battery and tires and did routine maintainence, that's ALL. The car was quick with loads of torque steer, awesome car.

The Basics of the Basics
By MY1990eclipse on 08/05/08 19:23 PM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I recently got my 90 eclipse base and it's 1.8 L non turbo FWD. and it's my first car so I'm kinda disappointed because it's not what I thought I was getting it's only got 94 horsepower but it's a great car for gas. I'm at about 174,000 miles and there's nothing wrong engine wise except that it's not fast at all. i mean this car has never even heard of the word torque. but it's a good car for saving gas.and if your only taking about 1 person with you. and my hatch arms don't hold it up to i gotta get some new ones but i hear that happens all the time.

17 years of owning this car
By jamato8 on 07/21/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

With 17 years of owning this car I have to say it has been fun. A rebuilt trans, a new engine and many other things but I have gone 175,000 miles with it and gone all over the country. many memories and it still looks almost new, which surprises even the dealers.

A "poor man's Porsche"
By AZDave on 09/15/07 15:50 PM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I owned my 1990 Eclipse Turbo from mid-1990 to the end of 1998. In that period I logged a bit over 46,000 miles in this little rocket, and enjoyed the heck out of it. I sold it only because I'd heard that that the turbo engines were developing problems after 50-60,000 miles, and my wife didn't like driving it once the roads started filling up with huge SUVs. In retrospect I wish I'd kept it a couple of years longer. The torque steer when you accelerate is noticeable, but manageable. Overall, a lot of car for the money!

Best Car I Ever Had
By Joe on 02/10/07 04:37 AM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2.0 2dr Hatchback

Though it had its faults, torque steer being one of them, this is the car that I still think about.

My beat up jewel....
By bud_one on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My previous car was a 1990 crx - automatic, dx. That I didn't want to sell because was so dependable but I needed the money. A friend of mine sold me the car cheap- dirt cheap ($600). As you can imagine, the car was in need of some major "tlc" but it ran and was a 4 cylinder. The first time I drove it I fell in love. As beat up and horrible looking that it was, it got up and went like it had been hit in the rear end by a locomotive. I haven't regreted the purchace since. It's never left me anywhere stranded, always starts and is a blast to drive.

Fun And Fast
By mongoose1322 on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This car is a really fun fast car to drive. As soon as the turbo hits it gives you a feeling of immense speed. I love this car! Until a couple of months ago the turbo stopped working and now I burn a lot of oil when I drive. Need to get that fixed so I can have some more fun. Looking forward to havinging it fixed by the summer. Don't know what all is wrong with it.

Reliable car!
By CharlieMSU on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

Got this car in 2001 with 120k miles. Just sold it with 122k. Reliable. Didn't spend any money on it until now when the ECU (CPU) went dead. Seemed a big deal according to the mechanic. It turns out I found out about the folks at www.ecutogo.com here in Houston. They fix and sell rebuilt ECUs that you can install yourself. Fairly easy problem to fix, that seems to haunt almost every Eclipse. Besides the ECU problem, only minor stuff like the lift arms on the hatch. Just go to Autozone and get a new pair, not a big deal either, you can even install yourself, but it's kinda tricky. Other than that, the car runs good, doesn't fail on you.

Great Car
By Alex on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I think its a great car

Never Buy Mitsubishi
By sbcx2k2 on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Hatchback GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car in 1999 at 105k miles. It ran great and was very fast until around 110k. Around that time the engine began to leak a little bit. I started to experience rough idle around 115k and by time I hit 120k the engine was leaking excessively. The brakes on these cars tend to squeek a lot even if you replace them over and over again. The temperature sensor gauge went auto on the vehicle as well and made is difficult to start at sub 50 degree temperatures. The turbo, also, now around 130k miles does not function properly. I will be dumping this vehicle soon.