1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
A Real Stormer!
By rcbrx7 on 07/21/14 21:30 PM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had the privilege of owning this car for 10 years now. I bought it from my neighbor for $1000 in the spring of '04 as it was hit in the back end. I fixed it up for another 1K and for 2K I had a real rocket ship. Power is unbelievable! will plaster you to the back of the seat in first four gears! Stay out of the turbo and get 30 mpg on highway. Who could ask for more? I have restored it in last couple years and looking forward to many more carefree miles. If you get a chance to get one...JUST DO IT!!

Great car
By righttime on 01/30/10 12:16 PM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Owned the car for 10 years and replaced the battery and tires and did routine maintainence, that's ALL. The car was quick with loads of torque steer, awesome car.

The Basics of the Basics
By MY1990eclipse on 08/05/08 19:23 PM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2dr Hatchback

I recently got my 90 eclipse base and it's 1.8 L non turbo FWD. and it's my first car so I'm kinda disappointed because it's not what I thought I was getting it's only got 94 horsepower but it's a great car for gas. I'm at about 174,000 miles and there's nothing wrong engine wise except that it's not fast at all. i mean this car has never even heard of the word torque. but it's a good car for saving gas.and if your only taking about 1 person with you. and my hatch arms don't hold it up to i gotta get some new ones but i hear that happens all the time.

17 years of owning this car
By jamato8 on 07/21/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

With 17 years of owning this car I have to say it has been fun. A rebuilt trans, a new engine and many other things but I have gone 175,000 miles with it and gone all over the country. many memories and it still looks almost new, which surprises even the dealers.

A "poor man's Porsche"
By AZDave on 09/15/07 15:50 PM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I owned my 1990 Eclipse Turbo from mid-1990 to the end of 1998. In that period I logged a bit over 46,000 miles in this little rocket, and enjoyed the heck out of it. I sold it only because I'd heard that that the turbo engines were developing problems after 50-60,000 miles, and my wife didn't like driving it once the roads started filling up with huge SUVs. In retrospect I wish I'd kept it a couple of years longer. The torque steer when you accelerate is noticeable, but manageable. Overall, a lot of car for the money!

Best Car I Ever Had
By Joe on 02/10/07 04:37 AM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0 2dr Hatchback

Though it had its faults, torque steer being one of them, this is the car that I still think about.

My beat up jewel....
By bud_one on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My previous car was a 1990 crx - automatic, dx. That I didn't want to sell because was so dependable but I needed the money. A friend of mine sold me the car cheap- dirt cheap ($600). As you can imagine, the car was in need of some major "tlc" but it ran and was a 4 cylinder. The first time I drove it I fell in love. As beat up and horrible looking that it was, it got up and went like it had been hit in the rear end by a locomotive. I haven't regreted the purchace since. It's never left me anywhere stranded, always starts and is a blast to drive.

Fun And Fast
By mongoose1322 on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This car is a really fun fast car to drive. As soon as the turbo hits it gives you a feeling of immense speed. I love this car! Until a couple of months ago the turbo stopped working and now I burn a lot of oil when I drive. Need to get that fixed so I can have some more fun. Looking forward to havinging it fixed by the summer. Don't know what all is wrong with it.

Reliable car!
By CharlieMSU on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

Got this car in 2001 with 120k miles. Just sold it with 122k. Reliable. Didn't spend any money on it until now when the ECU (CPU) went dead. Seemed a big deal according to the mechanic. It turns out I found out about the folks at www.ecutogo.com here in Houston. They fix and sell rebuilt ECUs that you can install yourself. Fairly easy problem to fix, that seems to haunt almost every Eclipse. Besides the ECU problem, only minor stuff like the lift arms on the hatch. Just go to Autozone and get a new pair, not a big deal either, you can even install yourself, but it's kinda tricky. Other than that, the car runs good, doesn't fail on you.

Great Car
By Alex on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I think its a great car