Used 2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

I am a Spyder Man!
By wcabots

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My fourth convertible. The most fun car I have ever owned. We also have a 2003 GS (the 2nd most fun car I've ever owned). Looks & feels like a high end sports car at an affordable price. For a convertible the trunk is relativity large. I can get two medium suit cases into it. There is nothing better for spring, summer, or fall road trip with your babe. The air flow in the cockpit is very minimal. The only knock I have (at 60k miles) is that with the top down & the windows down & the stereo up, there is an subtle intermittent rattle in the drivers door. I constantly recommend it to family & friends. I plan to keep this car. It's UAW built.

Looks - it looks like a rich boy toy - two thumbs up, reliability - perfect so far, performance - say no more... ;) , range - Minneapolis to Chicago on 1 tank, amazing sound system, hides the top, Fun, Fun, Fun.

Put a 6 speed manual on the (3.8L 6cyl) version. ;)

Fun in my 60's
By Dann S

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is the third Eclipse spyder( 1998 and 2003) I have owner. Traded my 2003/manual for the 2009 automatic 3.8 V6 spyder. Just love the auto trans (tired of the shifting in city) Never too late to tan the top of your head. Get one and enjoy the outdoors. This car like the ones that it follows has been trouble free, spirited and a pleasure to drive. See very few on the streets and mine draws attention everywhere I go.

V6 3.8 a must, the spirit is worth the cost, the convertible is the best

Need to watch the blind spot with the top up, but in time you will adjust nicely

MY FIRST CONVERTIBLE
By lauriejane

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I've always wanted a convertible and after a lot of research chose the Eclipse Spyder. Wish I'd done it sooner. As long as nothing is falling from the sky my top is down! Heated seats and wind deflector makes it comfy and fun. Has a good sized trunk for a convertible. Back seat for kids only, but my son loves it back there. Handles well and accelerates great. Tried the 4 cylinder first, but went with the 6 despite the octane needed. Definitely more get up and go. The car is definitely an eye-catcher and I just love driving it. I put smaller concave mirrors on both side mirrors and that took care of blind spots. Like glass back window rather than plastic, it could be larger.

One button top, handling, dashboard is great looking and easy to find everything, overall looks of the car

Larger rear window

GRANNY'S NEW TOY
By Dennab

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased the GS convertible 2 mos ago. What a blast driving this thing. Always have a smile on my face. Wish I had bought it sooner as the winter is here and cannot enjoy the top down. Good acceleration and handling. Back seat space for sitting is limited, and hard to get things in and out of, but decent trunk space. I'm having issues with fogging on the inside of the front window after it rains (don't have access to garage parking). I'm going to get a cover to see if that helps. Also when it rains the water drips into the car if you put the windows down. Got space for a car seat since I'm a new grandma, so I will enjoy for years.

Look and design of the car; power and comfort.

Rain guards on the window as any water on the roof drips into the car.

09 GS Spyder Great Ride
By Cape Cod

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a serious head turner. Feels like a high end sports car without the high end price. Fast, and furious handles great, drop the GT and your high test and go for the GS with regular gas you will not be sorry. Upgrades for 2010 were a bummer as key issues were solved - wish I had waited, but they were pricey. Acceleration around corners is nothing but WICKED!!

Holds the road and corners great. The combination of automatic and manual shift gives you all the power at takeoff if you need it without the clutch. Get the windscreen! cuts out most of the wind turb with the top down.

Most were addressed in the 2010 model, but at a cost ($3000 more). Navigation, handsfree, include the windscreen as a standard feature.