2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
I am a Spyder Man!
By wcabots on 03/04/13 13:57 PM (PST)

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My fourth convertible. The most fun car I have ever owned. We also have a 2003 GS (the 2nd most fun car I've ever owned). Looks & feels like a high end sports car at an affordable price. For a convertible the trunk is relativity large. I can get two medium suit cases into it. There is nothing better for spring, summer, or fall road trip with your babe. The air flow in the cockpit is very minimal. The only knock I have (at 60k miles) is that with the top down & the windows down & the stereo up, there is an subtle intermittent rattle in the drivers door. I constantly recommend it to family & friends. I plan to keep this car. It's UAW built.

Fun in my 60's
By Dann S on 06/14/10 10:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is the third Eclipse spyder( 1998 and 2003) I have owner. Traded my 2003/manual for the 2009 automatic 3.8 V6 spyder. Just love the auto trans (tired of the shifting in city) Never too late to tan the top of your head. Get one and enjoy the outdoors. This car like the ones that it follows has been trouble free, spirited and a pleasure to drive. See very few on the streets and mine draws attention everywhere I go.

MY FIRST CONVERTIBLE
By lauriejane on 02/04/10 13:42 PM (PST)

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I've always wanted a convertible and after a lot of research chose the Eclipse Spyder. Wish I'd done it sooner. As long as nothing is falling from the sky my top is down! Heated seats and wind deflector makes it comfy and fun. Has a good sized trunk for a convertible. Back seat for kids only, but my son loves it back there. Handles well and accelerates great. Tried the 4 cylinder first, but went with the 6 despite the octane needed. Definitely more get up and go. The car is definitely an eye-catcher and I just love driving it. I put smaller concave mirrors on both side mirrors and that took care of blind spots. Like glass back window rather than plastic, it could be larger.

GRANNY'S NEW TOY
By Dennab on 11/30/09 08:10 AM (PST)

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased the GS convertible 2 mos ago. What a blast driving this thing. Always have a smile on my face. Wish I had bought it sooner as the winter is here and cannot enjoy the top down. Good acceleration and handling. Back seat space for sitting is limited, and hard to get things in and out of, but decent trunk space. I'm having issues with fogging on the inside of the front window after it rains (don't have access to garage parking). I'm going to get a cover to see if that helps. Also when it rains the water drips into the car if you put the windows down. Got space for a car seat since I'm a new grandma, so I will enjoy for years.

09 GS Spyder Great Ride
By Cape Cod on 10/04/09 02:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a serious head turner. Feels like a high end sports car without the high end price. Fast, and furious handles great, drop the GT and your high test and go for the GS with regular gas you will not be sorry. Upgrades for 2010 were a bummer as key issues were solved - wish I had waited, but they were pricey. Acceleration around corners is nothing but WICKED!!

Spyder Fun
By Spyder4FN on 08/28/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Spyder, the first being a 2003. Love this newer model with all of its perks. Fun to drive and quite a beauty on the road.

Awsome car
By Happy! on 07/02/09 10:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for almost a year. Pure fun to drive. With two little kids with car seats in the back, I have not had any trouble. Its front wheel drive has come in very handy with the Denver Snow and even in the mountain. I have used it everywhere. The power for a 4 cyl. is great and gas economy is awesome. Sound, everything is great too. I will get another one again! Definitely get the Ipod/MP3 connectivity, it sounds great with the stereo. An Auxiliary jack would complete the story.

My New Little Toy
By Chicago Girl on 06/18/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my car for approx 9 months and I love Lightning (her name). So far I haven't had any issues, but I am coming from a 2002 Dodge Neon - that gave me nothing but hell after 36K miles. I love the get up on the car for hway driving. The blind spot is a beast, but with attentive lane changes and side mirrors, it is possible to maneuver. It's still early to be sure about reliability, but it seems pretty good with gas. If you have children this car is a no no! I am sure the back seats are just to get an insurance break on being a "four seater". My shorter she-friends sit back there, but a guy (or car seat) would most likely not fit... don't know if it's comfy back there - never been.

Great Little Fun Car!
By Texan on 04/01/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have only owned this car almost a month. Seems sturdy, rides nice. Seems to be plenty of leg room in the front. I love the convertible top and ease of operation. I got the GS instead of GT because of the lower octane (the GT requires 91). GS seems to have plenty of power for my use. Blind spot in right rear makes you really look when changing lanes though. Also, beware of adding a factory spoiler, can't see out the back, even when top down... right in the way! I added camera back up. Standard fosgate radio,Gs needs better antenna, anti skip (would upgrade if doing over). Burned Cd's skip A LOT. Key had remote buttons and chip in it... pricey. Really fun to drive though and would buy again.

Just a Fling
By Jake on 03/29/09 20:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

My wife I loved driving the muscle cars in the late 60's and early 70's. So, speed and acceleration was a consideration. The kids are no longer at home and there was no need for a back seat. We have owned four-door sedans for the past 25 years and decided to take a plunge to the past and enjoy the sporty vehicles we once drove. We looked at a number of other makes. Our considerations included body looks, interior size, engine size, and cost. The cost eliminated many other vehicles, as well as the interior space. It seemed the more sporty, the smaller amount of front seating area. We have had the car for only two months and do enjoy driving it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder in VA is:

$143 per month*