2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
Most Fun in the Sun
By tjs1963 on 07/05/11 18:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a blast... and a real head-turner.  It's probably the most under rated/reported  sports car in this price range.  I wanted the V6 because the car's weight seemed to justify the beefier engine.  This baby along with the manual 6speed can really push you into your seat when accelerating through the gears.  Much more power and speed then I anticipated... but great Fun! Since summer the top is always down and the sound system rocks.  Hey this is what having a convertible sports car is all about.  I love it!

Poor rear and side visibility
By ric387 on 12/06/09 12:44 PM (PST)

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

The only negative aspects of the car are indeed the poor rear and side visibility pointed out by others when the top is up and the poor quality of the interior plastic that marks quite easily. The car is so far totally reliable and I had excellent service at the dealer for the normal warranty schedule.

NICE CANADIAN SUMMER TOY
By ric387 on 03/18/09 18:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Just traded a Miata for a 2008 with 9,000k. I agree with the purists: the Spyder is not a real sports car (front-wheel drive pretty much closes the argument on that). But it has good looks, great interior, room to spare in driving position and very good performance with the V6 6 speed manual transmission and all this in better than average comfort. The car also made sense budget-wise. I feel I have the best of both worlds: a car that offers sports-like performance and looks with more room and comfort than a lot of more expensive two seaters. Good-looking, but with brains! A word for the torque issue: real, but only if you really push hard the revs, otherwise OK. Mine is triple-black. Love it

Consider this model
By TopDown2 on 12/29/08 06:06 AM (PST)

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car is under-reported. Beautiful design turns heads, esp. with skirts all the way around. Great performance, steering, suspension; good brakes. Nice throttle note. Roomy front, but adults are really pinched in rear. Excellent stereo. All controls silky and intuitive. Wheels are set way out, and easy to scrape... watch out. Top functions and seals flawlessly; minimal wind noise. I love this car. My next step up would be a Boxster. I do not like the changes to front end in 2009.

It aint my daddy's truck
By Rebecca on 09/11/08 18:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have always bought and drove small pickup trucks (rangers, s10s) and this is a COMPLETELY new experience. Although the turn radius is greater than my last pickup and with the top up you can see very little around you, it more than makes up for having to be extra careful with the fun of owning a convertible AND the really flashy look that draws everyone's attention! I work at a school and the kids LOVE it when I put the top up/down because they think it looks like a transformer! I never dreamed I would own an orange car, but would not trade it for another color now if offered!! :D

Real Review on a great car
By Ted Kinney on 10/17/07 20:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

First off this is not a dealer review. I saw the Pontiac Solstice in a Bon Jovi video and it got me thinking I should have a new car. I went out and test drove the Pontiac. Next I drove the Spyder. There was no comparison. In the Spyder you have enough room in the truck to put a set of golf clubs and some extra stuff. Also you have enough room in the back seat to squeeze someone if you have to for a short ride or more realistically use for additional storage. I have no complaints except for the blind spot when the top is up.

A champion right out the gate
By andy on 08/21/07 00:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

The 2008 Spyder GT V6 manual is a striking beast right out the gate - very powerful, torquey, yet a smooth and cushioned ride. I've driven the 2007 model as well. The 08 adds 18" wheels in place of 17". The handling is phenomenal. The smooth, quick stick and power make this an incredible sports convertible. The top operates deftly. Sirius sat radio is also standard. Downshifting and passing is joy. My car is black and I keep it washed. It gets stares wherever I drive in southern california.

2008 Mitsubishi Spyder
By Paul Hudgins on 08/13/07 04:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased the vehicle within the past week and love it! It's fun, challenging, all the things I'm looking for in a new sports car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.