Used 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

Most Fun in the Sun
By tjs1963

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a blast... and a real head-turner.  It's probably the most under rated/reported  sports car in this price range.  I wanted the V6 because the car's weight seemed to justify the beefier engine.  This baby along with the manual 6speed can really push you into your seat when accelerating through the gears.  Much more power and speed then I anticipated... but great Fun! Since summer the top is always down and the sound system rocks.  Hey this is what having a convertible sports car is all about.  I love it!

Favorite Features

Style, power, and sound best features.

Suggested Improvements

Larger rear window would be an improvement.

Poor rear and side visibility
By ric387

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

The only negative aspects of the car are indeed the poor rear and side visibility pointed out by others when the top is up and the poor quality of the interior plastic that marks quite easily. The car is so far totally reliable and I had excellent service at the dealer for the normal warranty schedule.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of inside plastic. Light in the trunk.

NICE CANADIAN SUMMER TOY
By ric387

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Just traded a Miata for a 2008 with 9,000k. I agree with the purists: the Spyder is not a real sports car (front-wheel drive pretty much closes the argument on that). But it has good looks, great interior, room to spare in driving position and very good performance with the V6 6 speed manual transmission and all this in better than average comfort. The car also made sense budget-wise. I feel I have the best of both worlds: a car that offers sports-like performance and looks with more room and comfort than a lot of more expensive two seaters. Good-looking, but with brains! A word for the torque issue: real, but only if you really push hard the revs, otherwise OK. Mine is triple-black. Love it

Favorite Features

Easy automatic top-down, quality of top,good insulation against noise when up, less wind factor than expected when top-down, fit and finish better than average, good driving position, exhaust noise just loud enough. Great looks.

Suggested Improvements

Few more inches for back-seat leg room. More trunk space. Better interior door design: electric windows buttons are in conflict with the door handle trying to reach it and the "map" storage room at the bottom is so small it's a joke.

Consider this model
By TopDown2

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car is under-reported. Beautiful design turns heads, esp. with skirts all the way around. Great performance, steering, suspension; good brakes. Nice throttle note. Roomy front, but adults are really pinched in rear. Excellent stereo. All controls silky and intuitive. Wheels are set way out, and easy to scrape... watch out. Top functions and seals flawlessly; minimal wind noise. I love this car. My next step up would be a Boxster. I do not like the changes to front end in 2009.

Favorite Features

Styling, reliability, performance.

It aint my daddy's truck
By Rebecca

2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have always bought and drove small pickup trucks (rangers, s10s) and this is a COMPLETELY new experience. Although the turn radius is greater than my last pickup and with the top up you can see very little around you, it more than makes up for having to be extra careful with the fun of owning a convertible AND the really flashy look that draws everyone's attention! I work at a school and the kids LOVE it when I put the top up/down because they think it looks like a transformer! I never dreamed I would own an orange car, but would not trade it for another color now if offered!! :D

Favorite Features

Automatic top is cool looking and corners like it's on rails!! Nice sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility is BAD with the top up! It is a little lower to the ground than I would like and the A/C is adquate but not great. The only thing about it that is really bad in a "you should consider it way" is the visibility.