Used 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse-spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

Great
By Driver

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car it was my dream car... It was all i expected - fast, stylish, and an eye catcher. I often bumped curbs but other than that it was great - never had a problem brought it at 52000miles. The only thing i had to do is get a new battery at 79000 miles.

Favorite Features

convertible, music, and speed

Suggested Improvements

A little higher off the ground.

Spyder GT
By OzzyGT

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my UV Blue Pearl right off the showroom. I have since installed several performance parts including intake, exhaust, springs, and new stickier tires - this helped a lot, and I have much more to do. This car is a babe-magnet and is wonderful with the top down. Hardly any wind buffeting at all. This is a perfect car to modify and customize. It will not be a rocket, however because the convertibles weigh a little more than average. Enjoy.

Favorite Features

Looks great, very smooth clutch, stock wheels look better than most, fun to modify.

Suggested Improvements

Slightly less notchier gearbox, lighter weight, stock tires wear very quickly, and improved interior - needs more character.

Great car
By Joshua

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After reading the expert reviews I was a little leary about buying a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. However, I got a deal I couldn't turn down and have since enjoyed it immensely. If I wanted a backseat and a lot of trunk space I wouldn't have bought a convertible. This is a great car to drive. The V6 engine accelerates smoothly and handles fairly well. It is quite comfortable for the driver and passenger with easy to use controls. The convertible top is easy and quick to raise and lower and with the top down, there is minimal problems with the wind. Overall this is a great car and a lot of fun to drive. I am glad I ended up buying it.

Favorite Features

Easy to use top. Unique look. Quick acceleration for weight.

Suggested Improvements

I like it just the way it is.

The She-Clipse
By screeli

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Eclipse and despite the handful of negatives I had with my past Eclipse, this one has been great. The exterior style in its class is well above par. The car handles and performs well despite the number of cars in its class that may perform slightly better. The reality is, however, that very few cars can compare in this price range that offer a convertible and don't look as if they were built for your grandparents. The Eclipse is fun to drive, affordable and reliable. To me that is all that matters.

Favorite Features

The exterior lines of the car are unmatched as a convertible in its price range. The engine performs to my needs and the maintenance has been easy. Finding a comparable car with this style in this price range is tough.

Suggested Improvements

The interior design team needs to start from scratch. The rear seats are so crammed. I believe they are an excuse to pull the car from a 2 seater insurance class. The performance compared to previous models has decreased.

Bad Vehicle
By Car4me

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had two of these cars and I would not recommend them. My first Eclipse was a 2002 Spyder and was constantly in the repair shop for mechanical problems. I thought I had a lemon so I traded it in on another Eclipse and I am having the same problems. My advice - do not buy an Eclipse Sypder, they are nothing but trouble.

Favorite Features

The exterior looks sharp but looks can be deceiving if your looking for a reliable vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Big time mechanical problems on this vehicle.