Used 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS Convertible Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

It's alright
By steve

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When i bought the car it had 29,000 miles on it. Right off the bat i had problems with it. The radio started going, along with the speakers. I recently took it ion to the dealership for 2 new front tires, and they said i needed four new complete brakes, the whole set. (drums, rotors, calibers and lines) and they said i will soon need a new front suspension. But this car has been treated immaculately.

The sound of the car, and power from 1-2

Wider body, better quality built

Great Daily Driver
By Brian

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car to go 70 miles each way to work in Northern NJ. I wanted a convertible and I didn’t need 350Z performance. I wanted good gas mileage and a car that I could put gas in, change the oil periodically and otherwise forget. I am 6’3” so a lot of other cars were out. This car has been a very pleasant surprise. I have had no problems with it and it has been fun to drive even in the worst traffic with the worst drivers on the planet. It has decent pickup (GTS 5 Spd) and decent handling. I bought it two years old with 20,000 miles and it came used with a better warranty than almost all US cars come with new. The Eclipse Spyder is a great car if you’re looking for a fun convertible to drive that doesn’t need a lot of attention.

The styling, reliability, convertible Top, front seat comfort, and good value .

Give it anti sway bars to reduce body roll and a trip computer.

Worth it!
By Raymond

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

As shocking as it may sound, I traded a 350Z for this car because I wanted a drop top again and better comfort and fuel mileage. I bought this with 4,000 miles on the odometer (in 2006)! The chrome blue on midnight is amazing, it looks awesome. This car has very comfortable front seats. I have never gotten less than 27 mpg CITY (mine is a 5-speed stick)! It handles pretty well. It rides like a Benz (trust me I know I work for them). It has decent trunk space compared to the '99 model that I had a few years back. I am having issues with a phantom front suspension noise and a "click" in my clutch pedal, but the dealership has been very helpful. I love this car. I never thought I would like a car as much as I like this one. I highly recommend it!

I love the great ride quality and good fuel mileage, seat comfort, quiet ride, keyless entry range, looks, auto headlights, and standard ABS/Sidebags.

The parking brake was better on older ones on right side of console. This one bumps my knee often. Also, it needs auto- up/down windows and an easier to install boot cover.

Doesn't handle like a sports car
By lisag

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The design is very good. Convertible top operation is easy and quick. Its handling however leaves a lot to be desired. It is not very responsive especially for a sporty V6. Its ride is acceptable for a sporty car. The turning radius is terrible. Large trucks have better turning capabilities. The visibility is also very poor with the top up. Given these two factors, backing out of a parking space is always a challenge.

Convertible top operation.

The turning radius and handling need significant improvement.

Dream Machine
By Raymond

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I traded a Nissan 350Z for this car if you can beleive it. The Z was a lousy daily driver. This is a perfect compromise. It has a smooth as silk ride, decent handling, great fuel economy, and looks awesome. Not to mention the top-down fun. This car is really fun to drive. I love this car. It is the second Eclipse that I have owned, and I love it as much as the first. This car is underrated! Buy one and fall in love!

The smooth as silk ride. Nice fuel economy. No wind-buffeting when the top is down. Great front seats for really long trips. Powerful heat/AC. Great color combinations.

It should have had heated seats availible (but they are now for '07). A MUCH better sound system is needed. It needs a locking fuel door, too, The old ones had it!