2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
Old and Fun
By maverickm on 03/10/14 09:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got the Eclipse for my first car with 150k for around 2k. First off, it's loud since it's a spyder. it interior and exterior are ok for a sports car of those years. reliability is awesome since its at almost 200k now. its fun and very stiff ride, you will feel all the bumps. You will also feel body roll and over steer when going around corner's fast. The main problems I have with this car is 1 it's FWD which I'm not fond of, and 2 it's hard to find performance parts for.

It's alright
By steve on 10/11/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When i bought the car it had 29,000 miles on it. Right off the bat i had problems with it. The radio started going, along with the speakers. I recently took it ion to the dealership for 2 new front tires, and they said i needed four new complete brakes, the whole set. (drums, rotors, calibers and lines) and they said i will soon need a new front suspension. But this car has been treated immaculately.

Great Daily Driver
By Brian on 12/01/06 12:32 PM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car to go 70 miles each way to work in Northern NJ. I wanted a convertible and I didn’t need 350Z performance. I wanted good gas mileage and a car that I could put gas in, change the oil periodically and otherwise forget. I am 6’3” so a lot of other cars were out. This car has been a very pleasant surprise. I have had no problems with it and it has been fun to drive even in the worst traffic with the worst drivers on the planet. It has decent pickup (GTS 5 Spd) and decent handling. I bought it two years old with 20,000 miles and it came used with a better warranty than almost all US cars come with new. The Eclipse Spyder is a great car if you’re looking for a fun convertible to drive that doesn’t need a lot of attention.

Worth it!
By Raymond on 05/26/06 06:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

As shocking as it may sound, I traded a 350Z for this car because I wanted a drop top again and better comfort and fuel mileage. I bought this with 4,000 miles on the odometer (in 2006)! The chrome blue on midnight is amazing, it looks awesome. This car has very comfortable front seats. I have never gotten less than 27 mpg CITY (mine is a 5-speed stick)! It handles pretty well. It rides like a Benz (trust me I know I work for them). It has decent trunk space compared to the '99 model that I had a few years back. I am having issues with a phantom front suspension noise and a "click" in my clutch pedal, but the dealership has been very helpful. I love this car. I never thought I would like a car as much as I like this one. I highly recommend it!

Doesn't handle like a sports car
By lisag on 05/15/06 10:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The design is very good. Convertible top operation is easy and quick. Its handling however leaves a lot to be desired. It is not very responsive especially for a sporty V6. Its ride is acceptable for a sporty car. The turning radius is terrible. Large trucks have better turning capabilities. The visibility is also very poor with the top up. Given these two factors, backing out of a parking space is always a challenge.

Hate to see it go...
By fablesofthewest on 05/08/06 21:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the Spyder back in the early part of the decade. It took me several years before I was able to realiize my dream and buy one. I have enjoyed this car so much that it made me almost sad to trade it in last week for the new 2007 Spyder, but I did. I miss the more racey style and shape of the 2004 Spyder. Yes, the new one is awesome in its own right and certainly a head turner. But I believe the previous style will be consider a classic someday. What a ride!

Dream Machine
By Raymond on 04/07/06 05:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I traded a Nissan 350Z for this car if you can beleive it. The Z was a lousy daily driver. This is a perfect compromise. It has a smooth as silk ride, decent handling, great fuel economy, and looks awesome. Not to mention the top-down fun. This car is really fun to drive. I love this car. It is the second Eclipse that I have owned, and I love it as much as the first. This car is underrated! Buy one and fall in love!

Impulse buy
By Lynn on 06/27/05 08:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We drove the car once and bought it.The car is nice looking and feels like a good car. It has not even been 1 year, we have had to replace a fuel pump (on our road trip in FL). The lock never worked properly, the seatbelts always getting stuck. The passenger side seat needed to be fixed. When accelerating the car bucks and when we brought it in to be fixed on Saturday they did not have the tech. to fix the issue. This car has been one problem after the other. There definitely is not enough trunk space or room in the backseat. One adult in the backseat makes everyone uncomfortable in the car. Also the air conditioner has had to be recharged already. No grill on the front pulls debris directly into the engine.

Everything I hoped for...
By wildwestexpress on 04/19/05 21:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I first saw the 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT two years ago and decided that the Spyder would be the first new car I'd owned since I was 18. I test drove several used Eclipses, but thought they were over priced in the $10,000 to $20,000 range. When I drove the Spyder, I bought it fifteen minutes later. I've had it for almost six months now and love almost everything about it. I did get ripped off on the GPS Guidepoint system and the alarm which the dealer talked me into buying for $2,200 only to find later the coverage would cost me another $500 a year, and they tripled the price from what I could have got it for privately. Also, the CD Player started skipping the second day.

Nice Sporty Car
By shauna on 01/02/05 20:43 PM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the car for about 6 months, and I have had no problems. The 4 cyl. isn't powerful (as most aren't), but it is plenty of for me. I'm not really hugging any curves on any huge mountains in Indiana, if you know what I mean? There is a huge blind spot when the top is up. You kindof have to look the best you can and pray. The top goes up and down with ease, and you get a lot of attention in the car. About every week, I get a compliment on it.