Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

Still Love it Like When it Was New
By MGL

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the style when this version of the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder came out. The front stylying was like a mini Jaguar. Just a fine style package. It has never been in the shop for any repairs after 3 1/2 years. this car is a perfect runner that still turns heads. Its quality has been excellent. It is a great car for function and fun.

I love the style, how you do not get wind blown when the top is down, how it is easy to get in and out of, and the great sound system.

Change the engine to one that could run on regular instead of premium gas. However, the gas milage has been excellent.

My latest purchase
By DT

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have wanted one of these since I first saw one. I finally got a used one last weekend. I like the handling of the car, although the turn radius is big. With the top up, the rear window is really small, and the rear quarter blind zones take some getting used to. However, I love the size of this car. I am 6'2", and I still feel like I have plenty of room. I drove it about 100 miles on a highway at 70 with the top down, and didn't get blown away. Good gas mileage, as I got 30 expressway on the way home. This was the perfect car for me!

Exterior styling, good interior, and ease of putting the top down!

Spoiler is just in the way with the top up.

Affordable Price yet Costly Upkeep
By Wally

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse for the sole purpose of having a fun convertible at an affordable price. I was disappointed to discover that I was visiting the gas station more often, especially with the impractical premium gas prices in California. But despite all that, I still enjoy the car and I think its very attractive. I get a lot of looks and girls definitely enjoy cruising with me in it. Another disappointment was the price for maintenance. In the service manual, it says to replace the spark plugs at 25,000 miles. Just the labor itself for 2.5 hours is about $200. That is not including the six spark plugs you have to buy for $20 each. I guess that is what a high performance engine calls for. This car Earns a B- in my book.

Easy up/down convertible but convertible boot cover not so easy on & off. The V6 engine has zippy acceleration, especially with the sportronic transmission. Mitsubishi's ground effects and spoiler add appeal to car especially with projector headlights and a front bra. It will look nice with larger aftermarket rims.

Please improve gas mileage! Also, the big open gap in the front bumber looks odd (catfish-like). Less body roll and possibly a hardtop spyder. Affordable maintenance packages to entice customers to come to dealer for service. More powerful sunroof motor!

Fun in all weather conditions!
By allseasonspyder

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Drive about 600km a week, back and forth to work, in all types of Canadian maritime weather. Car handles well, even with the all season tires that come with the car. Feels sure footed in all road conditions. Tires wear out quickly, about 40000km, so wouldn't attempt second season of hwy driving with replacements.

Cock pit positioning and tightness of feel.

Found that the soft top leaks a little when going into a car wash!

nice
By stra3berry

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have gone from a 69 camaro, then a 2000 celica, which I loved, and now I am in love and lust with this convertible. I am an extreme speeder, last 2 tickets in the 100's I just wish it cornered as well as the celica or that the celica was a V6 convertible. Does life get better then shopping in SF with the top down, my blond hair flowing with the wind while driving at high speeds up and down e

better cornering