2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
Most reliable vehicle i have ever owned
By lordhelmit on 05/21/14 21:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 03' spyder gts in Nov. 2011 with 127k miles at a used lot. I am writing this on 5/22/2014. I love this vehicle. So much. I have the 5 speed manual tranny, and this thing has some JUICE, to the point where, despite having been through 2 fender benders with no repairs other than cosmetics, still beats the faster 2007+ mustangs and ricer hondas/nissans/scions. Oh, my 03 eclipse is completely 100% totally stock. It now has 178k miles and not only runs brand spankin' new but still beats new cars in accel. contests. Despire neglecting oil changes, being through 2 wrecks, taking it off roading, putting it through hell on the street, this is the most reliable vehicle i have ever owned.

2003 Mit Spyder convertable GS
By just1me on 08/01/12 12:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

125 mi. and going strong! On time oil & transmission fluid changes, 3rd battery since purchase Aug 2003. 1 owner vehicle....seats are hard front & back & 1 door hinge doesn't stay open but that is my only dissatisfaction with this vehicle. I use the auto transmission but it also came with a switch over to manuel transmission feature which I have not seen anywhere else yet but I know they do exists. I am looking for a truck now because of free range horse/cattle in my area. I will miss this car forever. Held up well in & out. I had avalanche truck -entire dash board circuitry went out-thanks for not letting me know chevy co! I will buy my new truck elsewhere! not like U couldn't find me duh!

Cracking dash
By sdboy on 12/24/09 15:45 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was a nice car until it hit 45,000 miles. Bad enough a rebuilt clutch cost me $2,000, but the dash is cracked like it had 245,000 miles on it and the posts on each side of the windshield are flaking. I have taken really good care of this car and it is worse off than cars I've owned for twice as long. If you buy a Mitsubishi, buy it new and get rid of it before you've owned it for 5 years.

Lots O' Fun Behind the Wheel
By CyberKatt on 10/23/09 09:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Since buying this auto I have been totally impressed by its performance, the low cost of upkeep and the WOW factor, everyone loves the style, ride and the handling (for a car at this price more fun can't be had!). Now mind you this isn't a 300GT V/R4 (I owned one of those!! YOW!) or the fantastic EVO, it still holds it's own! There are also plenty of after market parts for it so personalizing it is a fun way to go! In conclusion if you're in the market for a cool auto, that's inexpensive to upkeep, handles well in the snow (I live in Wisconsin!!) and gives you that open road freedom this is the auto for you!

Drive Topless. It's fun
By Sharona on 10/08/08 17:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I rolled 130,000 miles this week much to my dismay and pleasure. Nothing but standard maintenance. Had to replace factory brakes with some better ones as the rotors kept warping but since I usually drive 75-80 that may have been my driving habits. NOTHING has broken in the car, paint hasn't held up very well but it isn't rusting so I can't complain. The car is still as fun as the day I bought it. With Sportronic and leather this car is as nice as cars costing twice as much. Also own an Audi TT and if I were shopping tomorrow, I would be at Mitsubishi, not Audi. I feel like it isn't going to be a stretch to get over 200k without anything but maintenance.

Wish I would've bought one sooner...
By Guy on 06/15/08 09:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car because we were looking for a convertible in a reasonable price range. My wife and I have found this vehicle to meet and exceed all of our expectations. Fun to drive, sleek exterior, comfortable, SUPER gas mileage (33 mpg @80 mph Hwy. miles in the MOUNTAINS of Tennessee)

No Plans to Trade In any time soon
By Love on 11/27/07 18:49 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great performance, no mechanical problems, I bought my car new in 2003 and it's been the best thing I could have done! I had actually just bought a Subaru when I saw this car and fell in love with it (it's the light green one.) So I traded in the subaru and never looked back. The only work I've had to do is replace the battery after 4+ years. Oh and the shocks at 40,000, but that's my fault, not the car's. I lived on a long, very washboard dirt road for 2 years and drove that road every day. I've never pampered my car, I've taken it camping, on dirt trails, everywhere - it's great! And it's running sweet to this day. No plans to trade it in any time soon! Just don't try it in the snow!

Don't do it
By sfl on 06/04/07 00:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I first purchased this vehicle it was an absolute treat. Lots of fun, fast, and easy on the eyes. I have to warn you, if you are going to be driving a lot, stay away! I am now in the process of selling it, but it spends more time in the shop than on the market. In the last 2 months it been in the shop 6 times to the tune of 4000 dollars in repairs. I've had to replace the engine (no warranty) and now the computer is all over the place, turning off components such as the AC as it pleases. The car is awful in extreme heat! AC kills all horsepower. The top no longer works electrically. Just awful. If you plan on only putting only 5k a year in miles, then maybe buy it

Great Fun!
By elman1952 on 02/25/07 06:40 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my previously owned Spyder from a dealer, after driving the same model as a rental. It is a really fun vehicle to drive, with semi-automatic 4 speed transmission and powerful V6 engine. It handles very well. I had a transmission fluid leak repaired, but that is the only mechanical problem I've encountered. I would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a fun sports car convertible. Warning: This is NOT a comfortable vehicle for more than a driver and one passenger.

Exiting
By Von on 02/21/07 05:44 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love driving this car, I have not had it up to high rates of speed, but the overall drive is great. I enjoy the feeling that if I need to go fast I have it at the tip of my fingers. The absolute control of the car is amazing! I enjoy my every day transportation from and to work daily.