Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse-spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

Most Helpful|
Most reliable vehicle i have ever owned
By lordhelmit

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 03' spyder gts in Nov. 2011 with 127k miles at a used lot. I am writing this on 5/22/2014. I love this vehicle. So much. I have the 5 speed manual tranny, and this thing has some JUICE, to the point where, despite having been through 2 fender benders with no repairs other than cosmetics, still beats the faster 2007+ mustangs and ricer hondas/nissans/scions. Oh, my 03 eclipse is completely 100% totally stock. It now has 178k miles and not only runs brand spankin' new but still beats new cars in accel. contests. Despire neglecting oil changes, being through 2 wrecks, taking it off roading, putting it through hell on the street, this is the most reliable vehicle i have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Convertible, 5 sp manual tranny

Suggested Improvements

Higher red line make from 6k to 7k at least

This Sypder BITES!!!
By Mits. Dis-believer

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2000. I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS it!! I'll make a long story short (unfortunately, this is the short version): The top leaks, after 2 1/2 years had to spend $1,000 for a new top - and still have problems with it going back smoothly, the window/door lock controller "box" has fallen into the door panel (twice, @ $120 each repair), A/C went out ($450 to replace), cam sensor went out @ around 40,000 miles & the car totally shut down ($200 expense). Along with the un-necessary repairs above, I have had this car towed a total of 9 times in the past 2 years....times that by $50 and you decide if buying the eclipse sypder is worth it!!!

Favorite Features

I like the way it handles on the road.

Suggested Improvements

The manufactures should not put a car on the market if it's a POS!!!! Why do they make a good-looking car - when all it's going to do is burn a hole in your pocket!!!

Can I get some power please?
By klowhorn

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Traded a V6 Accord coupe with all options. Biggest mistake ever! This car is affordable, but no fun. If I could do it all over again I'd get aGTS 5- speed, and then maybe I could get decent acceleration and around town drivability. I have to drive my GS with the manumatic constantly revving to 6,000RPM and I still think it is slow. Build quality is okay, and the interior has too many cheap plastics. I had to buy an aluminum dash kit just to dress it up. I'm going to keep the car, so I plan to add headers, a new exhaust, new intake and throttle body, and either a turbocharger or performance chip. It's the only way the car will be tolerable.

Favorite Features

Decent stereo and seats, top is fairly quiet, and seals well. Exterior not for everyone, however, it does get a fair amount of looks when the top is down. Top down driving in the evenings around town when you don't have to accelerate much is the only enjoyable part about the car.

Suggested Improvements

A 2.4 liter inline-4 should develop more power, better plastics, a larger glass panel in back if possible. Rearward vision is horrible especially with the wing right in the middle of the sightline. Lastly, my V6 Accord- more horses and torque-got better mileage on unleaded too.

I hate this car!
By beach blonde

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with this car! I cannot wait to get rid of it! It is hard to see out of the back window, the top leaks, and it is the most uncomfortable car that I have ever owned!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the car and then give me a call!

lemon
By totaleclipse53

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

idk if this is just this car or what!we have had so many problems with this car we had 2 (a 97 and a 2000) other eclipses and the 97 was so grate it ran nice shifted nice and with no problems. then we got the 2000 with about 20000 the throw out bearing in the cluch went and there was a clicking noise and prestige mits. said it was the wheel struts....so we got the 03 spyder its a nice lookin car but the same thing happened wit the cluch and the same clicking noise....

Favorite Features

styling and sound

Suggested Improvements

better drivetraine better sound system