Used 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

Like It as Much as the First Day I Bought It
By VJT

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder has been a fun car. It is a good combination of power and pleasure. It keeps up with the other cars in it's class speed-wise and it just looks cool. People still watch these cars go buy with envy. It has blind spots, but no worse than the other convertibles that I looked at, the Honda S2000 is just as bad. Besides this is only a problem in parking lots, not everyday driving. I love the "manual" automatic transmission. I've had no mechanical problems, fortunately.

Favorite Features

The convertible top is very high quality. After four years has minimal creaks and rattles, which is pretty amazing. The canvas keeps it's good looks. I couldn't say these things about the pre-owned Mercedes-Benz that I test drove before I bought my Eclipse Spyder. The back seat is poor for passengers, but it makes for extra storage.

Suggested Improvements

Add auto trunk release on the remote. There is a handle at the driver's seat but it doesn't help you when you're carrying packages.

In love with my Spyder GT!!!
By TMF

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love it! I just retired my minivan. Hugs the road...fun to drive! Paid only $13k for it used -- just 24,000 miles -- a steal. Mine doesn't have all the frills, but for the price (new or used) it can't be beat in it's class. Looks very elegant...classy. Fun to switch from automatic to manual, without the clutch.

Favorite Features

Push button convertible, tinted windows, V6 engine. The design and the lines on the sides.

Suggested Improvements

Improve dash display - fuel/temp gauge is too deep. Blind spots. Could use anti-lock brakes.

CUTE CAR, BAD TIRE RIMS
By Elbee

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car but... I have one MAJOR complaint.the rims on this car are very susceptible to even the slightest potholes. i have had this car for less than a DAY, and already need to replace a dented/cracked rim from a minor pothole i hit. NHTSA has had a number of complaints about these rims. Mitsubishi is not willing to recall these rims, stating it isn't a problem, but the interesting thing is, why did they change the suspension and rims for the 2003 model if the 2002 was fine? so my advice, is get the 2003 if you have a choice and save yourself from needing to buy $350 rims the first time you hit a pothole, railroad tracks etc.

Favorite Features

automatic top, stylish looks, the nice little rumble of the exhaust. Get the V6, you'll be glad you did.

Suggested Improvements

Rim issue mentioned above, armrest height is uncomfortable.

excellent
By boycrazylilcutie

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

this car is awsome!!i love it soo much its the best car if ur a girl and love do drive fast with the hood down

Favorite Features

the manual/automatic u can choose which 1 u want to use

Suggested Improvements

nothin

love it
By Daniel Poynter

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

the greatest acr you will ever own

Favorite Features

style and the rims

Suggested Improvements

make a high preformance model