2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
Fun Car
By mrgtron on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fun car, you would really enjoy driving. Excellent going out in groups. Average power, and great handling. Great value for price it is offered at.

Needs an Interior Redesign
By jhen7 on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a fun car to drive and it still turns heads (occasionally) even in jaded S. California. However in the three years I have owned the car I have never been able to adjust the seat to a comfortable position. An adjustable steering wheel would also help. As someone else said, the armrests don't seem to be in the right place either. Dashboard controls seem poorly designed. It is very difficult to change radio stations or CDs while driving. And why is the hazard light button at the top center of the dash??

Good Car
By ccaliban on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Its a good car, no problems. I got the 4 cylender and it competes well against other cars on the road, but I wish I'd gotten the 6 cyl manual trans. I get lots of complements on how good it looks. Having a convertable is loads of fun. You wouldn't want to have people in the back on a regular basis, but it can be done.

Poor Quality, lots of recalls and TSB's
By playadave on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The car is riddled with design defects, such as: Had to put bushings on rear axle do to crackling noise Problems with front brakes causing loud popping sounds. RIMS cracking even though haven't hit anything and Mitsu won't admit to it. Hoping NHTSA will live up to it responsibility and require a recall. Just look at number of recalls and TSB's on NHTSA site to see the quality of this car is horrendous. and last is the DEPRECIATION. This car took a big drop in depreciation last year and now I know why. Won't buy Mitsu again because of all of the above

Ignition cut off
By Jeff B on 11/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Up to now vehicle was great. I was just towed by AAA to Mitsubishi dealer in Coconut Creek. Car had about seven recalls(some major) Wish I would have researched this before I bought it. Dealer said the wiring to the ignition failed. Just great when I am driving 75 MPH on the Fl Turnpike. Lets see what happens.

Fun car!
By dbhons on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great to drive, looks great, a lot of fun for not a whole lot of money. I've even had people get in the back seat because they want a drive in it! Has plenty of pep for hills and for highway driving. The standard transmission shifts very easily. Top is easy to put up and down. Very reliable, even handles well in inclement weather. The initial 0-60 is good, but not great, and, hey, it cost a lot less than the other sports cars I liked out there!

Solid and High Performance
By MasterJoe001 on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This Car kicks ass like no other it's so damn fast I raced a Porche and BMW I beat them Both compare that to middle class cars. I give this car FIVE ***** Star's for excellent and cool look.

eh...
By jackpt on 09/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had it for about a year and 1/2. Very poorly made car. Should be much faster for a V6, depreciates like no other. make sure you get in on the class action suit against mitsu over the garbage rims they slap on the car...

Lovin' the Spyder GT
By jpbegley on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the money, I can't imagine having more fun with a car. I love convertible living, though you have to be willing to ride with the top town quite often, becuase sight lines with the top up are HORRIBLE. The Spyder got a bit of kick and definitely gets it's share of compliments. Gas mileage with the top down is not that great, but well worth it. It probably doesn't help matters that I use the AC with the top down because of the balck interior and SoCal sun. I am definitely hooked and would suggest this car to anyone who would ask.

Hot stuff
By SteveZ on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great fun to drive, corners well. As my son says, it's not that you go any faster, you just never have to slow down. The low visor sometimes is in the way when blocking low sun. Mileage good with Mobil 1, over 23mpg in city.