Used 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

Fun Ride
By chicubsgal31

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for almost a year now and have had no problems whatsoever. It is very fun in the summer, but able to keep warm in the winter as well. Leather seats a must with the convertible. I drive back and forth from home to school, a 200 mile drive, every weekend and it handles great on the interstates.

Favorite Features

The pick-up, the V6 is definitely the way to go. I also like the smoothness of cruising and how it's not too bad with gas. The 4 disc CD changer and the ease of putting the top up and down are great as well.

Suggested Improvements

The back seats are VERY tiny and can get uncomfortable after a while and the visibility is somewhat hard to get used to. The rims are not the best quality.

Excellent Car
By Rajesh

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have no had problem with this car. Just the usual oil changes and maintenance. Everthing works excellently. It is worth the money that I spent on it. It is the best sporty car I have driven.

Favorite Features

The excellent pickup, smooth ride quality even at high speed, very good shock absorbers, interior design, and bucket seats. This is a great convertible that is not expensive.

Suggested Improvements

None, I am totally satisfied.

2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
By sam

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was never a "big fan" of the body style change of the Eclipse in 2000, but I must say the Spyder still looks good. It is fun to drive and will get looks everywhere you go (and I'm not just saying that). With the top up it maintains a very sleek low profile. I have a burgundy GT with the tan top, which is very stylish. The version GT with the 3.0L engine is a must! Its gas mileage is almost exactly the same as the smaller engine (1 mile per gallon difference) so why skimp? The tiptronic auto is the best of both worlds, auto for in town and switch it to manual when it's time to have some fun. I highly recommend the car if you are looking for a convertible with extra seating. The rear seats might be a little tight, just hope for small kids.

Favorite Features

The GT convertible version with the "shift-o- matic" auto transmission for the wife and the manual transmission for me! The 3.0 liter V6 engine is a must! I like how aftermarket parts are cheap!

Suggested Improvements

I personally think that the car would look great about a inch and a half lower, it would just add to the profile. I have just ordered a lowering kit for my suspension, I'm not a "hot rodder" but I just like the low profile look.

Can't Wait to Get Rid of This Car!
By rmorse83

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car as my third convertible. I had two Sebring Convertibles prior to this one. I have to say that they never gave me the type of trouble this car has given me. The car has cost me so much money in repairs it's ridiculous. So far I have had a rear differential pressure sensor short which cost about $500 to replace, a center speaker blow, a total new set of rims because they bend so easily (they are cheap and the new ones have already begun to bend at the edges), an instrument panel and center stack light burn out, and a fog lamp replaced. To add injury to insult, the rear differential pressure sensor blew because of a Mitsubiahi dealer mechanic leaving off the radiator hose!

Favorite Features

The car looks nice, but as with most things, looks can be deceiving. I love the styling, but the headaches are far from worth the constant problems I've had with this vehicle. I had to file my first lawsuit because of this car against the dealer. My next car will be a Lexus or Audi. Never again!

Suggested Improvements

I will never buy a Mitsubishi product again. The build quality is unacceptable. This car has a superbly cheap interior! After three Chryslers with relatively few problems, I'm astonished that a company, particulary a Japanese one, can have such awful reliability issues and even more dismal dealers / mechanics.

Spyder 01
By Deb

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Use premium gas, it's worth it as the 6 burns it like a hog...Premium goes farther. Highway mileage is not bad at all. We'll see what the '06 brings.

Favorite Features

Nice heavy car. Great stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Lousy turning radius. Back seat gets pummelled with the top down.