2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
Great car, love it
By danmcswain on 06/20/11 13:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my eclipse for about a year and a half and have put more than 12000 miles on it since getting it. The car has been fantastic, it's a blast to drive, comfortable enough for long road trips (wouldn't suggest going cross country, but for 3-4 hours it isn't too bad). I've had the clutch master cylinder go out on me, but it wasn't a big deal to replace. Overall, I have to say this car has treated me well, parts aren't hard to find and are relatively cheap, when you actually need them anyway. It's a great, fairly cheap option as a sports car, not quite as fast as other cars, but other features more than make up for it, and it will out-handle more than its fair share. Enjoy it as I have.

Never again
By Unhappy on 04/09/09 05:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first time ever writing a review on anything and I'm trying to save someone a big headache. This car is a waste!! When it rains the back floors get wet and it's not because of the top (mine was changed twice!!). It has horrible mpg and interior after awhile starts to look real cheap!! This car should def be a 2 seater and what is going on with that trunk? Can't really fit anything that can't fold in there. The second cup holder inside the middle console was a horrible idea.

Good Car
By MEL on 06/10/07 22:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new, now has over 150,000 miles on it. Replaced the O2 sensor at about 120,000 so it would pass inspection but everything else is original (except belts and hoses replaced during service). Still uses no oil and runs great. Beginning to see some threads in the top beginning to break, but it still is water tight. I would have to say we got our money's worth out of this car if it quits tomorrow.

Excellent Car
By Rajesh on 10/16/06 06:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have no had problem with this car. Just the usual oil changes and maintenance. Everthing works excellently. It is worth the money that I spent on it. It is the best sporty car I have driven.

Best value in it's class
By jobpoy on 11/10/04 14:15 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect car. Only issue was the stock wheels were a little boring so I replaced them. I have owned more than 10 cars in more than 20 years and this is by far the best one!

good car
By SpyderManDrew on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, fun to drive... nice mechanically!

It's ok fun
By psw on 06/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

purchased a repo,initially replcd top, rear bushings & front bumper, all under warranty, car has been no problem since, many highway miles, concerned with cracked dash and rear front spoiler has small fracture cracks. No I haven't hit anything. Think it's a defect. Cheap car, but it looks good. Fun to drive on a nice day.

Perfect
By jacob Holcub on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

No problems at all best car ever

Good Car
By ccaliban on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Its a good car, no problems. I got the 4 cylender and it competes well against other cars on the road, but I wish I'd gotten the 6 cyl manual trans. I get lots of complements on how good it looks. Having a convertable is loads of fun. You wouldn't want to have people in the back on a regular basis, but it can be done.

Poor Quality, lots of recalls and TSB's
By playadave on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The car is riddled with design defects, such as: Had to put bushings on rear axle do to crackling noise Problems with front brakes causing loud popping sounds. RIMS cracking even though haven't hit anything and Mitsu won't admit to it. Hoping NHTSA will live up to it responsibility and require a recall. Just look at number of recalls and TSB's on NHTSA site to see the quality of this car is horrendous. and last is the DEPRECIATION. This car took a big drop in depreciation last year and now I know why. Won't buy Mitsu again because of all of the above