2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
Great car, love it
By danmcswain on 06/20/11 13:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my eclipse for about a year and a half and have put more than 12000 miles on it since getting it. The car has been fantastic, it's a blast to drive, comfortable enough for long road trips (wouldn't suggest going cross country, but for 3-4 hours it isn't too bad). I've had the clutch master cylinder go out on me, but it wasn't a big deal to replace. Overall, I have to say this car has treated me well, parts aren't hard to find and are relatively cheap, when you actually need them anyway. It's a great, fairly cheap option as a sports car, not quite as fast as other cars, but other features more than make up for it, and it will out-handle more than its fair share. Enjoy it as I have.

I love my little car
By mjstone323 on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because I wanted something that wasn't falling apart - I had driven beaters my entire life and I just wanted something nice. Bonus for the convertible top! And it's got a pretty comfortable back seat - hard to find that in a convertible. I have only had to make minor repairs in the 5 years I've had it. It's just a wonderful car, so much fun to drive, and I get a lot of compliments. I would recommend it to anyone.

Watch Your Transmission
By LaLa88126 on 11/21/09 18:41 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car a little over a year ago with only 38,000 miles on it. Since then, I have had to do regular wear and tear maintenance like replacing the starter, brakes, and so forth. The only major thing is my transmission suddenly went out on me without warning. And also, my top was replaced and now leaks all into the backseat of the car. Other than that huge problem, I love riding around with the top down. The sound is awesome and I just hope I don't have any major issues with it for awhile.

Love it
By Rebecca on 10/25/09 12:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have absolutely loved driving this car. I always receive compliments on how sharp this car looks. The only negative is when I have the top up it creates a blind spot.

One powerfull Spyder
By #1Spyder on 09/26/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Mitsubishi - a 2001 eclipse spyder convertible and I couldn't ask for a nicer ride, with lots of power. I have done a few upgrades and wow!, this v6 kicks but, but you gotta do a couple of things to wake the motor up. My ride has about 300 foot pounds of torque. This car is like a dream to drive anywhere. With a sound system upgrade how could you not look an think wow a performance sounding, stereo pounding, sleek styling car.

Love my Spyder-6cyl, auto trans
By lilolladyfrmpasadena on 06/03/09 10:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car two years ago with only 18,000 actual miles on it. I love it!!! Even with driving about 100 mi/wk, it has been totally reliable (no repairs). I live in the country on a gravel road, but am able to maneuver around pot holes that form with ease, it is easily parked in tight spaces, and delightful to drive as the weather allows. For a 2001, it still looks almost new. I "need" a fwd, but I LOVE this car! It moves! Will I trade it? Maybe in 30-40,000 more miles! That should be in about 7 years.

Never again
By Unhappy on 04/09/09 05:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first time ever writing a review on anything and I'm trying to save someone a big headache. This car is a waste!! When it rains the back floors get wet and it's not because of the top (mine was changed twice!!). It has horrible mpg and interior after awhile starts to look real cheap!! This car should def be a 2 seater and what is going on with that trunk? Can't really fit anything that can't fold in there. The second cup holder inside the middle console was a horrible idea.

Would not buy again
By Kate Byrnes on 03/31/08 10:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When i got this car i didn't have but 40 some thousand miles, and IT WAS THE WORST mistake of my life buying this car, it runs horrible and has been in and out the shop for the past two years from everything to a new top new tires axles and just about everything under the hood. Does not go in to reverse the best either. cracked dash and sound system is also terrible. Rattles and shakes anytime you hit a bump or a turn.

Nice Car
By DragFish on 02/26/08 21:44 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since I purchased my car back in March I have enjoyed it. I love just dropping the top during the day, driving through the city and just watching all the girls waving and smiling at me. The performance is wonderful. I have a friend that drives a mercury cougar with a 4.6L V8 sohc engine with a performance chip installed who thought he could beat me and I beat him at the strip by half a car length and the only thing I've added to the car performance wise is a cold air intake. It's the first car I've ever had and I'll probably keep it around for a while.

Good Car
By MEL on 06/10/07 22:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new, now has over 150,000 miles on it. Replaced the O2 sensor at about 120,000 so it would pass inspection but everything else is original (except belts and hoses replaced during service). Still uses no oil and runs great. Beginning to see some threads in the top beginning to break, but it still is water tight. I would have to say we got our money's worth out of this car if it quits tomorrow.