Used 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

Buyers Beware!!!!
By j

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

I bought this car, thinking it would be a nice reliable ride. Another plus was that I thought it was imported; boy was I wrong. I soon discovered that the top leaked like a river (2 days after purchase), and the transmission shifted erratically. My mechanic said these cars are disasters (engine leaks, failures, etc.); however, I gave it a chance, but before I traded, I knew the tranny was getting ready to explode. I also had a problem maintaining the oil level in the car. I would not recommend this car to anyone who needs a completely reliable vehicle or who doesn't like to take a shower on his/her way to work or school.

Favorite Features

The vette style interior and console.

Suggested Improvements

The convertible top, motor, body, and transmission.

Fun to drive but it leaks!
By BucsFan2008

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

This was a great car and it was a lot of fun to drive with the top down. although, I live in Florida and you would think I would have the top down all the time, but I didn't! With the humidity down here, I would need the AC on and with how rain here is so unpredictable, it would leak through the soft top, it was so annoying!

Favorite Features

It had a lot of kick to it and it definitely is a sporty car. Although I am 6'0" so it did feel a little bit small at times.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely improve the quality of the soft top, it was horrible, although it has survived 3 hurricanes. Convertibles aren't all that fun to drive here in Florida with the humidity! It would be more fun for people that have summer 3 months out of the year.

Warning!
By ogospyder

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

Try to get parts for this car . Some are made of pot metal, they break and dealers do not have replacements. The car looks nice if you can hold it together without duct tape.

I love it forever
By Sunny,Liu

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

This is really good car. Since I was a kid, I fell in love with it. Now I am going to keep this car. This is a classic race car.

Favorite Features

1200 W sub and 17" black rims.

Suggested Improvements

nothing

Worth every penny
By Tim

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

The moment I drove this car I bought it. It has stunning looks and handling, awesome exhaust note and the head turning appeal. Yes my top leaks but a small price to pay for such a exciting car. I have 93,000 on it and all original parts, I have never had a more reliable car. I drive this car every day and it never gets old I recommend this car to anyone who wants a sexy sport convertible that gets great gas mileage.

Favorite Features

The road gripping handling is amazing it is almost impossible to lose control. Everywhere I go people tell me what a beautiful car it is styling is right on. The exhaust note is incredible i feel like I'm driving a race car every time I start her up.

Suggested Improvements

4 wheel disc brakes please. make back seats into something more useful. A bump in horsepower is always welcome also.