1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Consumer Review: Not bad for a 13+ year old car

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - Consumer Review

GS Convertible (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Not bad for a 13+ year old car!
By jeremy_ca5h on

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

I bought it for $700 as a replacement of my Suburban as a daily driver. Gets decent fuel economy if you don't drive aggressively. Mine needs some cosmetic work since the previous owner did a little damage to it. Engine has 150,000 miles and still runs solid. It passed smog (California) with no issues. It is definitely fun to drive and not bad for a 13+ year old car. I am mechanically inclined so I may not complain if I have minor issues that others may perceive as a bad thing. Every car has issues if not taken care of properly. Oh and I have a good mechanic available for help with troubleshooting.

Convertible, 5-speed manual, great power to weight ratio, quick, sporty, easy to work on and find parts for. Has four seats with enough room for the kids in back. Trunk has decent room for a small car.

Better convertible top mechanism, better quality material for the top. More sturdy bumpers and fenders. Seems a little weak.