1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Consumer Reviews 2

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
Middle Age Toy
By InspectorDave on 08/01/08 12:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my 98 GS-T Spyder for my 50th b'day. Very fun to drive but pushing the clutch in Atlanta traffic got old. Finally let my teenage son drive it to school for his Sr year. Had to have the valve guide replace, seems to be typical for Mits. engines. Recently the throw out bearing seized up so had to cough up $900 for new clutch kit. Just started driving again and enjoying it while summer traffic is a little lighter. Yes, the front speakers went awol but I replaced with inexpensive set of Jensens from Auto Zone that sound great. Convertible top and brackets are now in need of repair.

Mitsubishi Junk
By unhappyowner on 06/05/08 21:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

Leaked oil from day 1 & hole rubbed through the top from lack of support rail padding - dealer had it for 2 weeks. Factory radio went out in the 2nd year. Most of the interior plastic has cracked and has been replaced - some several times. Drivers sided door switch panel just fell down inside the door one day. No anti-seize used on the front hub splines, so I had to use an axle puller which destroyed them when they were required to be removed. $700+ dollars for a timing belt ever 60K miles. No drip edge on roof, so rain leaks in on seats when opening doors. Soft top and headliner had to be replaced after 4 years - went aftermarket from Kee tops and a local upholstery shop

Nice
By Marco on 04/14/08 08:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

Well I bought an eclipse syder gst with 48,000 miles, and I think the GS-T is reliable and also fast. I have won so many races, I picked up a lot of girls and I have no problems with it. When u first drive the gst it feels fast but then you don't even notice until you drive a normal eclipse. I think the eclipse spyder gst will last me for a long time.

Love my spyder!!!
By SD girl on 02/07/08 11:06 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

I love driving this car it has lots of power for a 4 cyl. I've been it 2 car accidents in this car. and it's really sturdy. I love it!!

Fun and Reliable
By Adan on 09/19/05 17:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

I am the second owner of this car and the only thing I had to fix was the alternator and that was recently. My car has 140,000 miles on it and it still runs great. I didn't drive it for about two of the six years that I've had it, but I put roughly about 30,000 miles or more on it every other year. I wish it could last forever.

This Car is the Best!
By spyderturbo98 on 09/05/05 02:54 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder last year. I thought it had no power, but it turned out to be my intake hose it was leaking air. I replace it and bam! i can't believe it...

Pretty Sweet
By Stizz on 01/08/05 20:39 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

Well, I got my '98 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T about a month ago, and ever since people have been asking for rides or drives. The fact is, it's a chick magnet-the issue of no backseat space it totally true, even a midget would have trouble getting back there. I could really care less if it has space to take 4 people, the point is-it can carry a girl in the passenger seat. This is an awesome looking car; mine came fitted with a loud blow-off valve which makes it all the more fun to rev up. The only problem I have with it is the first tank of gas I used, I got about 160 miles out of a full tank which equates to roughly 10 mpg, which is terrible. I dont know if its my gas tank sensor or what but this definitely isn't a 10 mpg car.

Why not add a turbo
By 4g64twannaB on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

I can't say enough about this car. Although in the bone stock form it leaves something to be desired. Handling:it is great. Add an aftermarket strut bar and coilover style springs and your golden. The interior is very comfortable withit's reclineable bucket seats and easily accessible console. The exterior is one of those things that makes this car so great. It looks as aggressive as some of those $30k and up sports cars. Now here's a secret not many people know, put the cylinder head from a turbo on this engine block and guess what, you can bolt-up the gst/gsx turbo and your non-turbo 2.4l spyder is now a turbo hp machine. Overall a great car.

Questionable
By Turbo T on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

The car is great, motors run forever and they certanly love boost, 29psi... mods definatly make this car a great one to drive. Only complants is the rear seat sux, and it leaks unbelievably bad in two front corners and through the back window.

my 5 year experience
By spyder98 on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my gst new back in july of 98. Since then I've added 141,000 miles. I love the look and performance of this car. It still brings a smile to my face everyday I get in it. I also have an extended warranty which has covered almost $3k in repairs so far. This is an average at best car reliability wise. But very fun to drive. Back seat is a bit cramped. Trunk space is small.