Used 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:

Back To The Future
By rickyjames

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

Bought a GS automatic transmission Spyder version with 47,000 miles in Nov 2011, in beautiful glossy shape inside and out by the original owner who had kept it as a garaged weekend toy. At purchase it idled rough and would tend to die on startup, replaced the ECU with a $200 EBay replacement unit taken from an identical junker. All plastic door handle also had been previously broken off and superglued back in place, I snapped it back off almost immediately, replaced it with blister-packed unit from Autozone (that says something) reinforced by an aftermarket metal reinforcement kit. Changed out the timing belt (you don't want it to break from age) and WOW - ONE FUN CAR FOR A YEAR NOW!!

Favorite Features

This car is great. The body is a classic, timeless curvy look that is VERY sharp. Mine doesn't leak and no problems at all with the top. The engine runs like a top, very nice purr, altho tends to overrev autoshifting from 3rd to 4th if you are pressing on the gas too hard. I'm a tall guy that could never fit in a Miata but it's very comfortable in the Eclipse. The cockpit layout is very ergonomic and intuitive, good sight lines altho a bit of a blind spot with the top up. Great level built-in places to rest both arms from elbow to wrist. Excellent heated air flow to run with windows up and top down. The window sill is a bit high to prop my arm on, but the wind in my hair is great!

Suggested Improvements

This is a classic car from the late 1990s that feels even better with age and being compared with the downsized bodies and tiny engines of today's cars. The 2.4L, 140+ HP of my GS engine is now about the standard for a mid-size four door car of today. If you can find a good, clean Eclipse Spyder priced at around ten cents per mile to drive it on up from its current odometer reading up to 150K miles, do not hesitate, get this car and have some fun.

LOVE MINE!
By atsxo

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

i absolutely love my spyder. i bought it in august 2010 as an 18th birthday present to myself for college. Black paint, black top, 80K miles - are you kidding me!? i HAD to have it! I've had mitsu's in the past, i know they usually require a decent amount of attention. so as soon as i bought it, i replaced the top, tires, radiator, brakes, clutch, clutch masters, and numerous other things. have had no problems with it. it's at about 112K, and the timing belt is in about to be replaced, as well as the engine/trans mounts.. i will not hesitate to say that this car is not for everybody. interior is small, it needs TLC, and things break on it, just like all cars. very happy with my spyder :)

1998 RED Hot Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
By marcyjp

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

I bought my Eclipse in October of 1998 and have loved driving it whenever I get the chance to take it out. I love to throw the top down turn up the stereo and let this car take me wherever I am going. I have 128,000 miles on my eclipse and it looks like the day I brought it home! This car is a real eye catcher. I was pulled over and the office didn't believe that I had given him the right insurance card so he asked for the card for the new car, I told him it had 98,000 mile on it and he still had to look at the odometer. No problems just maintain it. I still have the original exhaust and everything! My kids and their friends have always loved riding in it too.

Favorite Features

I love convertibles, I love shifting gears, and the looks of this model has been my favorite. I had a 1995 Eagle Talon SI in 1995 and I loved it too, but when I saw the turbo Eclipse convertible in Feb. 1996, I knew I really wanted one and I have never been disappointed!

Suggested Improvements

Change the body style of the newer one I have never liked them since they changed in 2000.

Not bad for a 13+ year old car!
By jeremy_ca5h

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

I bought it for $700 as a replacement of my Suburban as a daily driver. Gets decent fuel economy if you don't drive aggressively. Mine needs some cosmetic work since the previous owner did a little damage to it. Engine has 150,000 miles and still runs solid. It passed smog (California) with no issues. It is definitely fun to drive and not bad for a 13+ year old car. I am mechanically inclined so I may not complain if I have minor issues that others may perceive as a bad thing. Every car has issues if not taken care of properly. Oh and I have a good mechanic available for help with troubleshooting.

Favorite Features

Convertible, 5-speed manual, great power to weight ratio, quick, sporty, easy to work on and find parts for. Has four seats with enough room for the kids in back. Trunk has decent room for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Better convertible top mechanism, better quality material for the top. More sturdy bumpers and fenders. Seems a little weak.

Waste of my time
By brittanynicole

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

Worst car I have ever driven! I hate it. It caused me more trouble than any car I have ever known. Do not buy it. All Mitsubishi's suck, everyone that I know that owns one has a lot of problems with it. First my convertable roof top leaked. It leaked so much it felt like there wasn't even a roof there. Because of this, it molded my seats and floor boards. Parts randomly fall off. Part of my body kit fell off, door handle has fallen off twice, key hole fell through the door, plastic parts inside fell off or broke, etc. Now, at barely 120K miles, transmission goes out. Battery sucks. Timing belt squeals alllll the time, replaced it 7 times, still no change. CD player went out too. CRAP CAR!!!

Favorite Features

Looks cute, that's it.

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING. Especially timing belt, transmission, and door handles.