1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
Back To The Future
By rickyjames on 10/12/12 12:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

Bought a GS automatic transmission Spyder version with 47,000 miles in Nov 2011, in beautiful glossy shape inside and out by the original owner who had kept it as a garaged weekend toy. At purchase it idled rough and would tend to die on startup, replaced the ECU with a $200 EBay replacement unit taken from an identical junker. All plastic door handle also had been previously broken off and superglued back in place, I snapped it back off almost immediately, replaced it with blister-packed unit from Autozone (that says something) reinforced by an aftermarket metal reinforcement kit. Changed out the timing belt (you don't want it to break from age) and WOW - ONE FUN CAR FOR A YEAR NOW!!

LOVE MINE!
By atsxo on 06/22/12 11:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

i absolutely love my spyder. i bought it in august 2010 as an 18th birthday present to myself for college. Black paint, black top, 80K miles - are you kidding me!? i HAD to have it! I've had mitsu's in the past, i know they usually require a decent amount of attention. so as soon as i bought it, i replaced the top, tires, radiator, brakes, clutch, clutch masters, and numerous other things. have had no problems with it. it's at about 112K, and the timing belt is in about to be replaced, as well as the engine/trans mounts.. i will not hesitate to say that this car is not for everybody. interior is small, it needs TLC, and things break on it, just like all cars. very happy with my spyder :)

1998 RED Hot Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
By marcyjp on 02/14/12 11:26 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

I bought my Eclipse in October of 1998 and have loved driving it whenever I get the chance to take it out. I love to throw the top down turn up the stereo and let this car take me wherever I am going. I have 128,000 miles on my eclipse and it looks like the day I brought it home! This car is a real eye catcher. I was pulled over and the office didn't believe that I had given him the right insurance card so he asked for the card for the new car, I told him it had 98,000 mile on it and he still had to look at the odometer. No problems just maintain it. I still have the original exhaust and everything! My kids and their friends have always loved riding in it too.

Not bad for a 13+ year old car!
By jeremy_ca5h on 09/21/11 08:36 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

I bought it for $700 as a replacement of my Suburban as a daily driver. Gets decent fuel economy if you don't drive aggressively. Mine needs some cosmetic work since the previous owner did a little damage to it. Engine has 150,000 miles and still runs solid. It passed smog (California) with no issues. It is definitely fun to drive and not bad for a 13+ year old car. I am mechanically inclined so I may not complain if I have minor issues that others may perceive as a bad thing. Every car has issues if not taken care of properly. Oh and I have a good mechanic available for help with troubleshooting.

Waste of my time
By brittanynicole on 01/30/11 20:36 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

Worst car I have ever driven! I hate it. It caused me more trouble than any car I have ever known. Do not buy it. All Mitsubishi's suck, everyone that I know that owns one has a lot of problems with it. First my convertable roof top leaked. It leaked so much it felt like there wasn't even a roof there. Because of this, it molded my seats and floor boards. Parts randomly fall off. Part of my body kit fell off, door handle has fallen off twice, key hole fell through the door, plastic parts inside fell off or broke, etc. Now, at barely 120K miles, transmission goes out. Battery sucks. Timing belt squeals alllll the time, replaced it 7 times, still no change. CD player went out too. CRAP CAR!!!

This Car is great only if maintained!
By Aznsensation90 on 11/16/08 21:43 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

This vehicle is amazing on the road it looks great, runs fast for a 4 cylinder, and has great fuel economy. The car can pick up speeds up to 100 MPH on a slow rise it'll do great if you hit it in 4 seconds your going to destroy your engine. In stop-n-go traffic it's beast. If your young and you drive one of these babies then people will give you dirty looks, but that's to be expected. This car can turn sour quickly so maintenance is key and it's not as expensive as people might think if you do it about every month.

Is the back seat still wet?
By e.clip-sa! on 10/13/08 15:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

I love driving this car! People always compliment it, and want to ride.

Super Fun.
By xctpx on 08/16/08 19:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

The car is amazingly fun to drive, and I've got friends asking for rides all the time. Only problem with it, as far as the ride goes, is that the suspension is very tight. For a little four-cylinder, non-turbo, it's got amazing kick. There's one problem with this car, and it's absolutely huge, almost a deal-breaker, and it's the top quality. Top leaks like no other in a rainstorm, flooding the rear top cavity, creating standing water. Car smells nasty afterwards. Upholstery has wonderful endurance from the water damage, though, and still looks fantastic. Also, top goes down hesitantly with some startling clicking, and needs a little help to get started going back up. Probably the motor.

Mitsubishi Junk
By unhappyowner on 06/05/08 21:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

Leaked oil from day 1 & hole rubbed through the top from lack of support rail padding - dealer had it for 2 weeks. Factory radio went out in the 2nd year. Most of the interior plastic has cracked and has been replaced - some several times. Drivers sided door switch panel just fell down inside the door one day. No anti-seize used on the front hub splines, so I had to use an axle puller which destroyed them when they were required to be removed. $700+ dollars for a timing belt ever 60K miles. No drip edge on roof, so rain leaks in on seats when opening doors. Soft top and headliner had to be replaced after 4 years - went aftermarket from Kee tops and a local upholstery shop

Love my spyder!!!
By SD girl on 02/07/08 11:06 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

I love driving this car it has lots of power for a 4 cyl. I've been it 2 car accidents in this car. and it's really sturdy. I love it!!