1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T - Consumer Reviews

GS-T 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (17 reviews )
Whats with all the whining?
By Tbird-eclipse on 05/18/10 00:10 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

There are a lot of whiny people on here, it's 13 years old people. This is a great car. Mine has 129,000 miles and has giving me NO ISSUES at all expect for water pump, that's it. Very fast, very sporty, incredible gas mileage for the power and lets out, and a beautiful design that still looks great compared with other ugly bubble but cars today. Glad I bought it, it turns heads everywhere I go and have had many random strangers tell me they want my car. The only other car that competes and I would buy would be a 1993-1995 Ford Thunderbird Sports Coupe but it doesn't come as a convertible so would have to convert it which I'm considering doing.

Speed
By ESPVIK on 04/04/09 14:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

This thing rocks and always will. I have put some money into it, but it is all for speed, so many mods, not enough time. This thing is the best - by far the greatest car ever owned.

NO more wet roofs!
By oceangirl on 04/02/08 15:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

Hi everyone, Wanna know how to stop the leaks? go to Walmart, in the camping section there is waterproofer, it cost 4 dollars...it has an orange top on the can...spray your car two times...no more driving in the rain.... The car rocks!

Take care of your car!!
By convoyman on 01/29/08 16:32 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

This car has been such a blast! With improved engine mods and meticulous care, this car is over 130k mi. and still running strong. I've never had any mechanical problems with the car in the year that I've owned it. Not only has it been reliable from getting from A to B, but fun getting there! The power added from a bigger turbo, intercooler, blow off valve, fuel injectors, air filter and exhaust will pin you in your seat and have everyone watching as you do it. So many mods are available, but body mods aren't needed- the car looks great as is.

I wanted, I got, I'm selling
By BGD82 on 11/04/04 01:11 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

I've put about 40,000 miles since I bought my Eclipse Spyder GS-T used with 113,000 miles in 06/03. In the last year and a half, I've had to replace the passenger window track twice (it's broken again, haven't yet fixed it), had about 3 or 4 check engine light occurrences, a horrible problem with thick blue smoke from the tailpipe while idling, horribly- rattling doors, a roof that badly leaks through the back window and the A-pillars, a radio that's never worked (CD player & changer in trunk work fine), and an antenna that won't go all the way down. I shouldn't have bought a car with so many miles, but I wanted one badly at the time. Now, I'm trying to sell it.

Spyder-conv
By Spyder1 on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

Fun to drive but will not stay together. Since I brough the car the sparkpulg wires have burned through causing it to run bad. Sparkplugs foul out fast. Top leaks: Plastic glued onto the on metal piller came loose, rubber boot ripped, back window stiching came loose and as expected it to leak around windows. Other issues elastic strap on top failed and bent support bars (ripped rubber boot). This is an issue with this model and a kit ($200 a side)is available. The outside drivers door handle was broken by a five year old trying to get in. This again was a know problem for this car. Replacement part (black) runs $42 add $50 painting, & $150 labor. I Plan on selling this car!

nice ride
By Yangger on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

this is a great vehicle, ive had no mechanical problems from the last 3 years.

Garbage!
By tommy7811 on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

I have owned this car less than a year. In that time I had to replace the engine, turbo, struts, and numerous other problems. It has spent more time in the shop than on the road. The top leaks, it's noisy, and has a poor ride. This car is junk! I puchased it with 64K miles. Just traded it in for a new Accord. PLEASE AVOID IT! I have spent over six thousand on repairs for a $8500 car! JUNK JUNK JUNK! Be aware!

Super Fun, Fast And Cute!
By Bini on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my '97 Spyder used in '99, and cannot imagine getting a car I would love more if I had paid three times as much! It has served me very well and I hope to be driving it for years to come. Even though it is 6 years old now, I still get people stopping in traffic to comment on how good looking it is and asking about what kind of car it is, because the old model Spyder is also not very common (which I like). I also found it to be very practical for my commute. It and was great even in bad snowstorms (with snow tires, I use low profile tires in summer).

Nice car!
By L68250 on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

This car is such a joy to drive!