1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
GREAT CAR
By liz on 01/15/10 02:23 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

I read some of the other reviews and wondered if I had the same car. Mine has never given me any major problems. I bought 4 yrs old and has been my primary car for the last 4 yrs. I did replace the top 2 yrs ago and the top brackets. Other than that, we are talking different cars as mine has been great fun and a joy to drive. I have the 5 spd manual and takes corners great, the turning radius is tight, gas mileage around 25, radio works fine, no rattling, nothing loose or broken, dealer oil changes, rare front brake pad replacement, tranny fine. Maybe I'm in the wrong section?

Convertibles issues
By Rachel on 01/16/09 16:22 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

The convertible top on my car leaked every time we had a bad rain. It was horrible driving with the rain pouring in from all different places. My car also had an engine problem where it was burning oil and I'd have to put a quart of oil in it almost every week. And when it was raining and I drove over a lot of water in the road, it would cause the car to shake horribly and I would have to pull over and wait and rev the engine to dry it out. But, despite all its issues it never actually broke down on me. The engine was strong, and I will definitely purchase another Mitsubishi in the future. If I had it to do over the only thing I would change would be to get the hatchback instead. Ha.

Fun to Look At
By susan78 on 03/15/07 06:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

This car is amazingly pretty and sporty, but if you need to get from point A to point B, you better try a bike instead. This car is so cheaply made it seemed sooner or later everything fell apart, including the leaky rag top. I was SO disappointed as I love the Eclipse and it had been my dream to own a Spyder. Oh well. For this car the adage that a car is hole in the pavement surrounded by metal into which one throws money could not be truer.

OK car
By gvr4me on 05/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

We bought this car as an impluse and we regret it now. For a while it was our only car, handled good in the snow and top kept the car warm. The performance on the other hand is pretty bad. The transmission(Auto) is horriable, clunky shifts, missed shifts, downshifts at bad times with no reason. The engine is ok, not very fast but still good for a N/A car. the top is bad in the rain as others have stated, plus we found out that alot of the cars roof rails break and they did on ours also.Overall I would prob buy another one but in a 5 speed and a turbo if I could find one.

Adequate
By Jeffenwulf on 09/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

The car is is severely underpowered for a sports car. The 2.4 4G64 engine doesn't provide the performance that I would expect. I love the enclosed feel of the interior, but the materials are cheap and prone to chipping. The convertible top leaks heavily in rainstorms. I had this problem with the original top and a newly installed top. The automatic transmission is horrible. It doesn't shift crisply and solidly as desired. Already completely rebuilt at under 50,000 miles. The trunk is merely there to hold the spare tire and a gym bag.

This is a fun car!
By daryl_j on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

ok. this is the first convertible i've owned so i am still wow-ed by the experience. every time the top goes down it feels like the first time! :-) very sporty looks. handles well and has very sensitive steering. the turning radius is aweful. you do pay a price for the convertible feature... this is a nice-weather car NOT a bad-weather car. although, it does do amzingly well in snow.

sweet ride
By JayEm on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

I bought mine from a friend who had bought it at an insurance auction. Despite a shady history I have not had a single problem with my Eclipse. It drives great, and looks even better. I'm up in Canada now, and the fact the Mitsu was never sold up here (and its starring role in Fast&theFurious didn't hurt) means I get a lot of attention with my ride. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for style at a reasonable price. The drop top is easy to operate and flawless. The only problem is under heavy rain the roof leaks (Dealer fix: $2000 US). The Eclipse is an awesome ride-the only car where the OLD model looks better and outperforms the current one!

Fun to Drive
By test@test.com on 02/22/02 12:24 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible GS 2dr Convertible

The Spyder is a fabulous driving machine, it feels great on the road, moves well. Biggest problem is that the nose hangs too low and scrapes everything. After 5 years with no issues, the convertible motor died and needed to be replaced. Otherwise A+