1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
Whats with all the whining?
By Tbird-eclipse on 05/18/10 00:10 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

There are a lot of whiny people on here, it's 13 years old people. This is a great car. Mine has 129,000 miles and has giving me NO ISSUES at all expect for water pump, that's it. Very fast, very sporty, incredible gas mileage for the power and lets out, and a beautiful design that still looks great compared with other ugly bubble but cars today. Glad I bought it, it turns heads everywhere I go and have had many random strangers tell me they want my car. The only other car that competes and I would buy would be a 1993-1995 Ford Thunderbird Sports Coupe but it doesn't come as a convertible so would have to convert it which I'm considering doing.

GREAT CAR
By liz on 01/15/10 02:23 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

I read some of the other reviews and wondered if I had the same car. Mine has never given me any major problems. I bought 4 yrs old and has been my primary car for the last 4 yrs. I did replace the top 2 yrs ago and the top brackets. Other than that, we are talking different cars as mine has been great fun and a joy to drive. I have the 5 spd manual and takes corners great, the turning radius is tight, gas mileage around 25, radio works fine, no rattling, nothing loose or broken, dealer oil changes, rare front brake pad replacement, tranny fine. Maybe I'm in the wrong section?

Speed
By ESPVIK on 04/04/09 14:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

This thing rocks and always will. I have put some money into it, but it is all for speed, so many mods, not enough time. This thing is the best - by far the greatest car ever owned.

Convertibles issues
By Rachel on 01/16/09 16:22 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

The convertible top on my car leaked every time we had a bad rain. It was horrible driving with the rain pouring in from all different places. My car also had an engine problem where it was burning oil and I'd have to put a quart of oil in it almost every week. And when it was raining and I drove over a lot of water in the road, it would cause the car to shake horribly and I would have to pull over and wait and rev the engine to dry it out. But, despite all its issues it never actually broke down on me. The engine was strong, and I will definitely purchase another Mitsubishi in the future. If I had it to do over the only thing I would change would be to get the hatchback instead. Ha.

NO more wet roofs!
By oceangirl on 04/02/08 15:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

Hi everyone, Wanna know how to stop the leaks? go to Walmart, in the camping section there is waterproofer, it cost 4 dollars...it has an orange top on the can...spray your car two times...no more driving in the rain.... The car rocks!

Take care of your car!!
By convoyman on 01/29/08 16:32 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

This car has been such a blast! With improved engine mods and meticulous care, this car is over 130k mi. and still running strong. I've never had any mechanical problems with the car in the year that I've owned it. Not only has it been reliable from getting from A to B, but fun getting there! The power added from a bigger turbo, intercooler, blow off valve, fuel injectors, air filter and exhaust will pin you in your seat and have everyone watching as you do it. So many mods are available, but body mods aren't needed- the car looks great as is.

Fun to Look At
By susan78 on 03/15/07 06:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

This car is amazingly pretty and sporty, but if you need to get from point A to point B, you better try a bike instead. This car is so cheaply made it seemed sooner or later everything fell apart, including the leaky rag top. I was SO disappointed as I love the Eclipse and it had been my dream to own a Spyder. Oh well. For this car the adage that a car is hole in the pavement surrounded by metal into which one throws money could not be truer.

I wanted, I got, I'm selling
By BGD82 on 11/04/04 01:11 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

I've put about 40,000 miles since I bought my Eclipse Spyder GS-T used with 113,000 miles in 06/03. In the last year and a half, I've had to replace the passenger window track twice (it's broken again, haven't yet fixed it), had about 3 or 4 check engine light occurrences, a horrible problem with thick blue smoke from the tailpipe while idling, horribly- rattling doors, a roof that badly leaks through the back window and the A-pillars, a radio that's never worked (CD player & changer in trunk work fine), and an antenna that won't go all the way down. I shouldn't have bought a car with so many miles, but I wanted one badly at the time. Now, I'm trying to sell it.

Spyder-conv
By Spyder1 on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T Turbo 2dr Convertible

Fun to drive but will not stay together. Since I brough the car the sparkpulg wires have burned through causing it to run bad. Sparkplugs foul out fast. Top leaks: Plastic glued onto the on metal piller came loose, rubber boot ripped, back window stiching came loose and as expected it to leak around windows. Other issues elastic strap on top failed and bent support bars (ripped rubber boot). This is an issue with this model and a kit ($200 a side)is available. The outside drivers door handle was broken by a five year old trying to get in. This again was a know problem for this car. Replacement part (black) runs $42 add $50 painting, & $150 labor. I Plan on selling this car!

OK car
By gvr4me on 05/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

We bought this car as an impluse and we regret it now. For a while it was our only car, handled good in the snow and top kept the car warm. The performance on the other hand is pretty bad. The transmission(Auto) is horriable, clunky shifts, missed shifts, downshifts at bad times with no reason. The engine is ok, not very fast but still good for a N/A car. the top is bad in the rain as others have stated, plus we found out that alot of the cars roof rails break and they did on ours also.Overall I would prob buy another one but in a 5 speed and a turbo if I could find one.